Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning

who has experimented with perforated, microperforated screens ?

thanks for replying to the poll and if you have comments, feel free (like optical moiré, perforations visibility such as at which distance do you start to see them as per the screen type you use, etc)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have a Da-lite High Contrast Cineperf screen that I am in the process of exchanging. It is 92x52 and due to its spacing was not supposed to have the moire that Stewart has for this screen size. However, it does on bright scenes. There is also a lot of light and information being lost because I can see the whole movie behind the screen. I can actually see dark dots from 11ft away when there is a bright sceen and this causes a softness in the picture that is more apparent with DVD material and less apparent with HD material.

I am currently looking at a High Power sample (2.5), a High Contrast Cinevison sample (1.1), and a Cinema vision sample (1.3). I like the vibrant colors of the High power except that some greens look too fluorescent and blacks are not as black as with the other two screens. The cinema vision screen has blacks as black as the HC screen but is a bit brighter and whites are whiter. Does anyone know if there is a screen between the HighPower and Cinema vision?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
David,

I have tested a couple of different DLP projectors on my Stewart Microperforated screen. For most people, the microperforations are invisible by about 10 feet away. Moire is a function of projected pixel density (varies with resolution and screen size) on the screen and fill factor of the projector (LCD

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have a Sharp Z10000 HD2 WXGA DLP and I can see moire on my 92x52 screen from any source...48i, 480p, 1080i, 720p. I believe the perf on the Da-lite are slightly larger and more spaced out than Stewart's.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Max,

Did you try your projector on a Stewart microperforated screen prior to going with the Da-Lite? You may have been OK with the Stewart. From my past experience your screen size is right around that point where moire becomes much less objectionable. The source does not have any real impact on moire since everything it is the interaction of the screendoor pattern of the projector and the pattern of the perforations on the screen that is responsible for the moire.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
might want to add a catagory of "I do not use a perf screen" since you asked if people use them and not "which perf screen do you DLP users use". It might show that most DLP users dont use them at all.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Have others found as Scott has that for a given resolution, moire decreases as screen size increases?

Murray Kerdman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.