Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks. First post.

The wife and I are about to take the DLP plunge. We've settled on the HLN4365W (which seems to be the functional equivalent of the 437, although I've read conflicting reports on that issue). Here are the various prices I've come across:

BestBuy -- $3299 ($35 delivery; $160 sales tax)

(12 months no interest financing) (no restocking fee for returns)

Tweeter -- $3699 (same delivery and tax as Best Buy; they'll "match" Best Buy) (17 months no interest financing) (no restocking fee for returns)

1-877-camcorder --- $2,998 (plus $275 shipping) (questionable return policy).

bsless.com -- $2,899 (plus $100 shipping) (up to 20% restocking fee if returned)

Based on these, it would seem that the bsless.com is the best pricing but Tweeter is the safest in terms of returns and storefront accountability.

My questions:

**Do these prices seem fair?

**Has anyone used or heard of bsless.com?

**Should I wait for the 437W series to be released?

That's it (for now). Any help appreciated!Tweeter

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm right there with you, Doc.

To say that exploring the DLP landscape these days is a confusing and frustrating undertaking would be the biggest of understatements.

Part of the problem for me is that there is much conflicting info out there about what features the various '2003' versions of Samsung's product line actually contain. For more information on this, you should probably scan the many threads in this forum on the subject (if you haven't already).

Suffice to say, those who have actually seen floor versions of these units (including those that Samsung had on display at a recent showing in NYC on 4/2) and who have accessed the Service Menus will tell you that the HLNxx65W and HLNxx7W series are functionally identical and differ only cosmetically. Frankly, Samsung could go a long way toward clearing this up if they would just UPDATE THEIR WEBSITE!!

That said (pending proof indicating otherwise), I'm on the 4365/5065 bandwagon, too. Internet pricing, for my money, is all over the ballpark and is just one huge crapshoot. I wouldn't go near any unless they're authorized dealers (in which case you'll probably pay close to full price anyway), or I can get a feeling for overall customer experience from rating services like CNET or BizRate. I'm willing to pay a few hundred extra bucks for some peace-of-mind. I've always had pretty good luck with higher-end bricks and mortar outlets like Tweeter, especially right now that they've been relegated to selling the 'National Chain' version (xx65), you've got their price match guarantee and will match anything you can get from BB (Tweeter would normally sell only the Tantus version, but seem to have a large inventory of the xx65s right now). For me, I'm still inclined to wait until the dust settles and we can start getting some non-conflicting info from Samsung.

If you can't wait, xx65 now. If you can, xx7 if the pricing is the same. Either way, I think you'll end up happy (if not completely exhausted). Good luck.

j.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On buying internet vs. retail:

I just bought a HLM617W locally, for a little more than internet prices. The first one had a dead bright white pixel. The second one didn't turn on. Each return took one day. I don't want to think of the hassle of dealing with this with an internet company.

Today is #3 (knock on wood)

:)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Dr. Funk:

A bunch of us AVS Forum folks bought from TV Authority and got a reasonable price and TVA stuck with those who had problems with their sets. I have no reservations about recommending that you give them a call or a visit online (their icon is up on the AVS Forum header) to see what they can do. I personally encountered some difficulties but TVA came through for me...

·
Registered
62 Posts
TVA has very competitive price - you should check em out. I, personally, have spent a couple of days debating between TVA and tweeter and ended up buying from tweeter, but they matched the price of TVA w/exception of the sale tax. Another consideration is the warranty - tweeter vs Repairmaster from warrantech.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts
I feel better buying from a dealer with it's own local repair service. In our area that's Magnolia Hi-Fi. They must be a lot like Tweeter. I have learned from local customers through these forums that they support their customers. I'm sure that TVA does too but their logistics working through a contract service company just can't be as good.

With local support directly from a dealer I know that anyone that works on my future DLP will at least know what it is. That hasn't always been true of contract support responding to "800" calls for help.

If I didn't have a local dealer I would probably go with AVS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree- I did look at internet dealers and almost went with TV Authority, but then I do like the local dealers/ service. So this is what I did:

Went into BBuy and asked them if they would match the internet price of $3000 for HLN4365W. They said yes, once the unit is in the warehouse. Well, since I did not wanted to wait- I went to Tweeters and asked the same thing. The sales guy laughed.. but after 5 minutes when he figured out that I was serious about picking one up right then...got the price of $3100 and went home with the TV.

Try it :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Think that's confusing ... try this ... I have an HLM507W but after some help from this forum I discovered that my internals are more like the HLN models. I'm so over my head already without all this other confusion. Sheesh!!

I've dealt with Tweeter before and they're not too bad. It all depends on who you get. If you get a saleman that's been around a while and you like them and they will price match with another brick and mortar store then throw them your business. I bought my set via a TI employee discount and I almost wish I paid extra and went with a place like Tweeter so I could try and resolve the image problems I'm having.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a similar experience with the second post. I bought one through Samsung, being that I am a reseller, and waited a few weeks...Upon arrival, no power. I think the bulb was broken..Refused that one and had to wait another two weeks...Finally got the HLM617W in my home and realized that it has the bright dot on it...I really had no other choice but to call Samsung for service. They will be here on Monday. Really wanted a replacement, but not sure if the same thing will happen again. My co-worker bought the same TV, with the same manufacture month and has the same challenge. Buying local may save you the hassle.

Bryce

R.C. Willey - Henderson, NV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.