AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been having troubles with my HLN617.

Basically, it seems like whenever I do a "cold start" of the TV (which means turning it on after it has been off for a couple of hours or so), I usually get this scenario:

- I sometimes get a picture for a second, sometimes not, then 3 blinking lights. Unplug, wait, power on usually results in everything being OK again. Sometimes it takes 2-3 attempts to get it to stay on.

I just got my third light engine installed yesterday, which did not fix the problem. Here is a bit of behavioral history with each light engine.

- Light engine 1 (original): Problem was very intermittent over ~ 4 months. Gradually it started to happen more frequently. Also had a buzzsaw noise from the color wheel once, right near the end. Called up service, got a new light engine.

- Light engine 2: Worked ok after the installer put it in. Then, next day when I did the first cold start, I got the three blinking light. I "rebooted", and this time it stayed on, but the picture was just bizarre. It sort of looked like watching a tape with really bad tracking, or a slightly scrambled channel. The picture had a greenish cast, (the colors were all messed up), sort of looked like the solarize effect in photo editing. Also, the picture flickered, and would jump around a bit on the screen. (I can post pictures if it would help). This happened on all input, and I would get the flicker/jump around even on a frozen TV image. After things warmed up a bit, (5-15 minutes, seemed to take longer near the end), the picture would gradually improve, and then suddenly snap back so that everything was fine. (Actually, for the first minute or so, when the picture looked normal, I could still detect a few flickers where the intensity level would fluctuate a bit.)

So, since this was a bit different behavior I thought, OK, defective light engine. Lets try again.

- Light engine 3: Installed yesterday. So far, same behavior as LE 1. Haven't seen the weird picture that LE 2 gave me, but hey, it's only been 1 day.

In all cases, when I finally get a stable picture, everything is rock solid.

So, anyone have any ideas as to what might be going wrong here? Digital board perhaps. Any suggestions? The service center is contacting Samsung to see what they want to replace next.

One thing that somewhat bothers me is the techs procedure to replace these light engines. Both times the light engines had sat in his cold truck for a while. When he brings it into my house, he asks my to turn the furnace up, and sets it over a heating vent. He does this after taking the light engine out of its static bag (which isn't sealed anyways). So, of course condensation forms on the thing, and when he turns it on the first time, the lens is all foggy. After about 5 minutes or so, the lamp heat clears up the picture. I don't know, that just seems like a bad practice to me. I've always seen warnings that say let things get to room temperature inside a sealed bag so condensation doesn't form on them, and don't turn electronics on until they have acclimated to the new climate. Maybe each light engine is being broken by this procedure? But, if that's true, I would think this tech would know, as he seems to have done many LE replacements. Also, doesn't really explain the problems with the first light engine.

So, anyone have any suggestion, theories, advice?

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike_pro
I predict that they will replace your TV. :)

It would be very interesting to get a response from the "right" people at Samsung about the "furnace" technique being used on your replacement light engines.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm definitely still in warranty. I got the TV at the end of July. Plus, I got the extended warranty, thankfully.

htwaits: You may be right. I predict by the end, they may have replaced everything inside the tv anyways! :)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Three strikes - get the TV replaced. Insist on it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike_pro

One thing that somewhat bothers me is the techs procedure to replace these light engines. Both times the light engines had sat in his cold truck for a while. When he brings it into my house, he asks my to turn the furnace up, and sets it over a heating vent. He does this after taking the light engine out of its static bag (which isn't sealed anyways). So, of course condensation forms on the thing, and when he turns it on the first time, the lens is all foggy. After about 5 minutes or so, the lamp heat clears up the picture. I don't know, that just seems like a bad practice to me. I've always seen warnings that say let things get to room temperature inside a sealed bag so condensation doesn't form on them, and don't turn electronics on until they have acclimated to the new climate. Maybe each light engine is being broken by this procedure? But, if that's true, I would think this tech would know, as he seems to have done many LE replacements. Also, doesn't really explain the problems with the first light engine.

Sounds like he's rolling the dice with Samsung's parts bill. Condensation on the parts isn't good, and could easily be causing the failures you see. The only good approach is to let the parts come to room temperature for a couple of hours and he isn't likely to want to wait for that.

Another caution: When they bring your replacement set they'll want to turn it on right away to see that it works OK and you'll have the same condensation problem. Insist that they leave it in the packaging to come up to room temperature. It'll be interesting to see how that take that though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
boy, your experience has me a little worried. I've had my sammy for about two mos. The other night I could not power the set down with the remote or the chassis switch. Had to unplug the unit from the wall to get it turned off then immediately plugged it back in because I have heard the fan needs to run for some time after powerdown to dissipate lamp heat.

Anyway, called service and they told me to unplug an wait 30 mins. Did so, plugged back in an powered up no probs with the remote. Was able to repeatedly power up and down with remote and chassis switch. Settled in to watch a movie. Two houras later tried to power down, no dice. Now the unit won't respond to resetting the power plug. In a way I'm thankful that the damn thing is broke broke and not intermittent broke.

They aren't using a microsoft operating system in theis thing are they?

·
Registered
516 Posts
This is beginning to sound to me like the problem we had when they brought my replacement set. I and the delivery dudes thought it was a DOA.

It had been sitting in an unheated warehouse for three or four days. They brought it 1st stop in the morning. We took it out of the box, hooked it up and turned it on.

I was mostly concerned about fan noise; so, we let it run for a few minutes while I listened from various places in the room. It was quieter; but, not really a whole hell of a lot quieter. After about two minutes the picture started to disappear in a fog until -- after about five minutes -- it disappeared altogether, leaving nothing but gray.

I had 'em pack it back up and return it to Samsung.

Although, remember, we're about 20% humidity max in the winter!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I 100% agree with the replies about allowing the warehouse cold TV warm to room temperature before ever turning it on. There are optics in this unit which require room temperature to operate properly in the winter...just as you could not / should not take a stone cold camera into a warm environment and expect to use it immediately due to condensation issues... This seems to be a lack of information people have when using these projection sets. Perhaps Samsung should include that on that "Cautions when using the projection TV" flyer that comes with the sets.

In fact, a lot of CD/DVD players warn about the condensation issue on the lens...same issue here... no different. As long as there are lenses in these units... it will be an issue.... who knows what else it impacts.

The delivery guys looked at me strange when I asked them not hook it up and I then left it sitting for about 8 hours as I had other projects to handle that day but mostly so it could warm to room temperature properly.

Seems like the ideal delivery method is to deliver, setup and then leave instruction for the customer that is very important that they not turn on the set until 2 hours have passsed to allow it time to adjust to home environment and that doing so beforehand might damage the set due to condensation. Seems most people buying these sets should understand that warning.

Vincent

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by seychellois_lib
They aren't using a microsoft operating system in theis thing are they?
I'm pretty sure they aren't. Microsoft TV operating system requires a reboot every time you change channels. :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL, that's a good one about the Microsoft OS.

It's definitely my standard procedure to let electronics acclimate to inside temperature before operating, preferably inside a sealed plastic bag. I do have a humidifier, so my furnace air is probably extra moist. The relative humidity in my house is around 35% in winter. But, if this is the procedure the guy does all the time and the light engines are so sensitive to condensation, I would think he would get more repeat complaints. I'm going to ask him how often he has to go back to the same house. I mean condensation on the lens clearly impacts the picture (until it evaporates), but I don't know if it is likely to cause any permanent damage to the electronics.

It will be interesting to see what Samsung tells them. I hope to hear from him today, or monday. My bet is they will want to replace the digital board (so long my beautiful tweaks!). If that doesn't fix me up, I may try for a new set on the three strikes principle. If they want to do the light engine again (or whatever), I think I may insist that they send it to me before hand to get it up to temp, or I just won't let him turn it on until it is properly acclimated.

Sigh...

At least I'm still able to turn it on so I won't miss the Super Bowl in HD. Although, I think I may turn it on tonight, and not turn it off until after the game, just in case.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You are one of those 1/1,000,000th of customers that actually fall into the manufacturers no-lemon policy. You have had three of the exact same piece fail in a one year time frame, they are legally required to replace your set. If it makes you feel any better those LE's are roughly $2000 each so you are really sticking it to Samsung.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpclem0
You are one of those 1/1,000,000th of customers that actually fall into the manufacturers no-lemon policy. You have had three of the exact same piece fail in a one year time frame, they are legally required to replace your set.
Just curious, but what Federal law is it that says that if a TV fails 3 times in a year it must be replaced? Never heard of such a thing, but you never know...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My saga continues....

So, the service place is coming over on Wednesday prepared to replace three things: the light engine, the digital board, and the power supply board.That's pretty much all there is, so hopefully it will be fixed this time. I'm really suspecting the power supplies due to the fact that it only has trouble starting when the bulb is cold. a cold bulb needs a lot more current to fire, so I'm betting this is causing the failure. I'd like to get them to try leaving the digital board in, and just doing the power supply board and possibly light engine. I really don't want to start over tweaking with a new digital board. But, at this point I'm getting fatalistic and may just let them replace everything and see what happens. I think I should try for a free replacement lamp or something, since I've had to take three days off of work now.

jfischer - I think what he was referring to is popularly known as "the lemon law". Many states have laws that saw if a manufacturer tries to fix the same problem under warranty and fails three times, then you qualify for a refund or a new item as you have a "lemon'. It's usually applied to cars. I'm not sure if it applies here, or not. Anyways, this would be their third attempt, and if it fails, I may seek a new TV.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Hopefully that will not bring the Digital board that they brought me the other day, it was a prototype board that had all the writing in Korean/Japanese (pretty pictures), I wish you the best.

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
My HLN4365 developed the same light engine problems (no picture, 3 blinking lights) three WEEKS after purchase. I live in a smaller town and was informed it would be a minimum of three more weeks before I could even get the set looked at. Fortunately I bought it at Best Buy and they are taking it back, and my Panasonic plasma set will be delivered in two days. Good luck with your Sammies; I hope you don't need it. To add insult to injury, the sound-sync problem covered in another thread was also quite noticeable on this set, and the color was unstable from day one, and I'm not that critical, but green hair is not my favorite.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, they just left after replacing the light engine (again) and the power supply. They didn't do the digital board, thankfully.

So, now I just need to let it set for a few hours and make sure it starts ok. I really think it was the power supply all along, I guess I'll soon see.

·
Registered
109 Posts
when your tv needs fixing, who do you call for warranty .... the vendor from where u got the tv or samsung directly?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
BTW, I got a new board installed (for a minute only), it was a Korean board version 109 on the unit. I contacted Samsung and they admitted a messup of some Korean Digital boards being shipped to the US by accident, they are fixing the problem as I type this, hopefully no one else gets one of those boards, just a FYI.

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.