AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a Toshiba 50" HD-RPTV and was thinking about upgrading to the Sharp DT-200 DLP projector, but now I've started considering a few others. I'm looking at the Infocus LP70, the Optoma EzPro 737 (the latter being the one I consider my main competition for the Sharp). If any of you have experience with any (or all?) of these I would love to hear your oppinions / war stories.

Some HT room dimensions. The 16x9 screen will be 119" diagonal (104" w x 58" h) and will be approximately 148" away from the sweet spot. The room is 233" from front to back and the projector will be located 18 feet from the screen.

Thats all I can think of. I hope you guys can make this easier for me, I was already sold on the Sharp until I realized I could get the Optoma at the same location (I'm limited where I can by because this will be a service plan upgrade, ie, free[!])

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Why the Sharp DT-200 or Infocus LP70??? These projectors use a DLP chip from the previous generation (10-degree mirror tilt). If I were you, I would avoid these and go with a model that uses the latest 12-degree DLP chip. Indeed, the EzPro 737 (and its clone Dell 3200MP) is one of such projectors. It is definitely a better projector than the former two... What other models/brands you can possibly get ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm limited to getting what is available through BestBuy, and that is quite limited. I was planning on the DT-200 because it was the only "Home Theater" projector they sell. But ten I looked into computer projectors and saw the EzPro 737, and well, it LOOKS like it might be better but I havent been able to find much info on it (except for a not so rave review at Projector Central).

As for other brands, the BestBuy website shows what they have available if you search for projector, but these three are the best of the selection. The reason I'm limited to BestBuy... I have a service plan on my RPTV from them and now that its dead they are replacing it, so Im going to take the projector leap and upgrade. It's no 10,000 dollar projector, but its better than a 65" HDTV RPTV. :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Understood the situation. I would still definitely choose the 737 over the others. It is basically a clone of the Dell 3200MP made by the same Taiwanese (?) company. So I would read through the 3200MP-related threads in this forum.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive read up on the 3200-MP and it seems that the verdict is right on the line, some love it and some hate it.

Since the above mentioned are my two contenders heres a side by side:

The EzPro is a 4:3 projector as opposed to the Sharp's 16x9, it has a 3x color wheel and the Sharp has a 5x, it has 1800:1 contrast ratio, the Sharp is 2000:1.

On the other hand the Sharp is 800x600 SVGA and the EzPro is 1280x1024 XVGA, the Sharp is rated 600 Lumens and the EzPro is 1500 Lumens, the Sharp is HDTV compatable EDTV while the EzPro is HDTV.

Looking at all of this isnt making the decision any easier... :\\ I want the highest quality image possible, obviously, and ideally I want a 16x9 screen. I'm a rookie when it comes to projectors and I just don't want to make the wrong choice. Damn Best Buy for not having a wider selection, damn them!!! :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, I just learned a few things... I dont know where I got the 2000:1 CR for the Sharp its actually 1200:1, another mark against it.

And now to throw another wrench in the works, I just found the Optoma H50 at BestBuy, heres it's descrip:

PRODUCT FEATURES

Ultralightweight, portable design weighs only 6.4 lbs.

Digital Light Processing (DLP) technology

2100 ANSI lumens of brightness

800:1 high-contrast ratio for subtle color details

800 x 600 true SVGA resolution (1024 x 768 XGA compressed)

Fully HDTV compatible with 480i/p, 576i/p, 1080i and 720p

Near-silent operation at 32 decibels

Built-in audio from 2 internal speakers with 6 watts total output

Remote control for hands-free use

3.7' to 39.4' projector distance

DVI connectivity to notebook computers

Im assuming it's a 4:3 projector unfortunately, and its Contrast Ratio is real low, but its plenty bright...

I looked at the X1 which is also available and it seems the DT-200 and EzPro 737 are far better.

I'm only getting more confused here...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sushi : I wanted to thank you for all your input, I apreciate your insight.... and your name. :)

I wanted to fish for more input from yourself and others and wanted to clear up my situation a bit more, so what follows is the short list of projectors I have as options.

ProjectorPriceResolutionAspect RatioColor WheelContrast RatioANSI Lumens
Sharp DT-200$2,999.99800 x 6004:3 & 16:95x1200:1600
Optoma EzPro 737$2,599.991024 x 7684:32x (?)1800:11500
InFocus X1$1,499.99800 x 6004:32x2000:11100
Optoma H50$2,799.99800 x 6004:32x (?)800:12100
InFocus LP70$2,499.991024 x 7684:32x (?)800:11100

The projector selection is limited as hell, but these are the top five, the rest have contrast ratios below 800:1 so I didnt include them. As for the prices, they don't factor into my decision because I get an employee discount.

So these are the projectors I am trying to decide between. looking at them all side by side it seems that the EP737 is the best all around value. But, and I think you'll understand, I want to make sure I make the right decision.

All of them are HDTV compatable (except for the Sharp which is EDTV) but with the exception of the Sharp, they are all 4:3. This may sound silly, but I really wanted to build a 16x9 screen and I'm assuming that with one of the 4:3 projectors I will have to have a 4:3 screen.

To clear things up a bit, I use my HT mostly for DVD movies and TV, but I also play PS2 and GameCube games and plan to hook up an HTPC with an HDTV decoder card (within the next 6 months).

With all that said would you still recommend the EP737? And anyone else out there reading this, what would you recommend? Anyone have direct experience with these? Thanks everyone for your input, I may drone on and on but I appreciate it greatly.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Okay, like I said above, one thing I would pay attention is whether the projector use the latest 12-degree mirror chip or not, because it will provide a significantly better blacks, shadow details, and contrast -- the very strengths of DLP. You may realize that TI does not manufacture the 10-degree chips anymore; it is already an yesterday's technology... Why buy it now?

Looking at your list, there are only two models that use the 12-degree DLP chip: the Optoma 737 and InFocus X1, both of which I would strongly recommend over others. The Optoma has lots more resolution, and is appropriately pricier, than the X1. If you plan to watch HDTV, I would definitely opt for more resolution.

Thus, my pick would be the Optoma EzPro 737!!!

[edit] Oh, btw, I assume that you are not worried about the rainbow artifact, correct?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually havent yet had a chance to see any of the DLP's in action so I don't even know what the artifact is. It seems to be a big problem, everyone and their granny complains about it, but it seems only some people are susceptible to it. I need to find a local place I can see a projector in action.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hmm, I thought the DT-200 (and the long-throw Z90) used the 12 degree chip? Sushi, are you sure the DT200 uses the 10 degree chip? The DT-200 I saw had good blacks, but then that was on a Firehawk screen.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
maxleung,

Yup, you are right -- I stand corrected. Thanks!

OnlyOne,

My pick would still be the Optoma 737, for the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
OnlyOne, you definitely need to see a DLP projector in action. Make sure you remember the projector brand and make, the screen used, the DVD player used, and the amount of ambient light when you audition one. There are many factors that affect the occurance of rainbows. For example, high gain screens can make rainbows worse, and using poor signal sources like composite or svideo can also make rainbows worse.

Also, many AV stores like to use animated movies to demo their projectors. These are the worst for demoing projectors, because they make everything look good! More challenging material, like the opening scenes from the Fellowship of the Ring, Fight Club, Dark City, or any black and white movie are more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I have the Sharp Z90(short throw version) and I love it! I have also seen the X1 and the Dell 3200MP. Both are good projectors but I think the Sharp is better. The X1 is a good value for the price but if your plan will allow it, I would take the Sharp since it has the faster color wheel which will result in far fewer rainbows. I have had the Sharp now for almost four months and no one has seen a rainbow yet. When I viewed the Dell, I instantly saw rainbows and a few on the X1. The colors and blacks of the Sharp are excellent for this price. 16:9 is no problem, you will just need some masking. But you also have the option of using a 4:3 screen when you are watching broadcast TV or older movies. I have never seen the optima so I can't comment, but IMHO, I don't think you will be disappointed by the Sharp. One other thing, PS2 looks great on the Sharp!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Onlyone, I have the Z90 (Japanese equivalent of DT200) also and I am very happy with it (5 months).

I noted above your reference to specs. Beyond resolution, I would caution you not to rely on specs too much, especially not exclusively. Different manufacturer's use different standards for measurement, some are more conservative than others. I urge you to audition a number of devices, under the same conditions if possible, then make your decision.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Dude,

before you buy an DLP or any PJ,,, test it out see if DLP sets to your eyes.

You coming from RPTV will be like you comeing from a planet :D .

I was just like you and went from RPTV to PJ.

As in my case I settled for LCD for my PJ.

Demo is what I recommend.

Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.