AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned the Sony 400Q LCD projector for about 1 1/2 years and over all have been satisfied.

However... I've seen several examples of DLP ranging from $3000 to $15000 and think it may be time to upgrade.

1st question. Do all DLP's available for less than $3000 (LT150) have the Halo effect?

2nd question. My 400Q is presently 17ft from the screen. For DLP, I would like a 16x9 screen no larger than 110" diagonal. Are there any units that would fill this need and how do they cope with 4x3 sources? Could I make the 4x3 image fit into the 16x9 screen from 17ft? (LT150)

Improvements I hope to attain over 400Q are sharpness, detail, black level and computer friendlyness.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

BTW, I would plan to use an IScan Pro or Progress Scan DVD until I could get around to building an HTPC.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Anthony,

The way I understand it DLP = Halo

For scaling you may want to search this DLP forum as there are several active threads about some of the issues you raise.

You may want to look at this document http://www.nectech.com/presentationp..._throw_v16.pdf

The pictures show you some of the things that can arise when dealing with projector placement. Each projector will be different, but you can get a sense of what is important for your room setup.

The LT150, for example, does not have a zoom capable lens and has a relatively short throw. For an 8 Ft. screen width you would need to place the unit about 13 Ft. from the screen.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes, DLP's or at least the data grade "business" projectors seem to have an annoyingly narrow margin when it comes to throw length. I formerly had a SHarpvision, and you could place that sucker almost anywhere in the room, and you could fill up practically any size screen you could desire. Regardless, the new DLP projectors tend to:

- have a specific margin where you can place the projector

- throw off some halo (not too terribly annoying)

- give off rainbow effects (make/model and disc dependant)

But the pluses far outweigh the negatives.

------------------
Klutzo,

the newbie HT Boy.

BA mains, Energy surrounds and sub.

Proxima DX3 main FP

Sharpvision Backup FP

Sony Wega aux monitor

Dalite 2.8 Gain screen

Sega Dreamcast (various controllers)

Please, feel free to visit the klutzoplex! Click the link below. => www.klutzoplex.f2s.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.