AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the DLP bulb for my Toshiba 52" DLP HD. The TV powered up fine and is working, however, it isn't as bright. It feels like I'm watching my old tube television. Is it possible that the bulb is of lower quality which is reducing the brightness? Is there a difference in types of bulbs? What might be causing this?

·
Registered
23,880 Posts
The "new" lamp should be like a new TV.

What model TV?

What is the part number of the replacement lamp?

Where did you purchase the lamp?

Did you replace just the "bulb" and reuse the old housing or replace the lamp and housing as one unit?

How old is the TV? Have you ever "cleaned" the optics inside (lens/mirrors/etc.)? Dirt/dust builds up after time, especially if you are a smoker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TV was purchased in 2005 and this is at least the fourth, probably fifth bulb that has been replaced. Previous bulb replacements were done under warranty by repairman. This time, I completed the repair and I only purchased the bulb, then installed the new bulb in the old housing.

I purchased this bulb online through Discount Merchant. I did contact Discount Merchant through internet chat and was told that I might need a new ballast (which I believe has never been replaced). At any rate, I continued to research on line and came across a post that recommended that I pull the housing back out and double check to assure that all screws were tight and new bulb was flush. If not, the picture could be dim if bulb was perfectly installed flush. I pulled the housing and found that I did fail to completely screw one of the screws in. I did take bulb completely out and turned it 180', then reinstalled, making sure all screws were tight.

Picture looks great again. Watching Kansas Basketball in HD as we speak. Nice to have it back but I must say.......DLP's are junk. Nice picture, but terrible in terms of reliability.

·
Registered
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/18132213

Do you have the TV on a UPS, and do you ever have any power losses?

I think I know where you are headed with your questions and unless this TV is on 24x7 he has experienced an abnormal number of lamp failures.

Removing power from a DLP without letting it power itself down is very bad. This prevents the TV from cooling down properly and if done repeatedly will shorten lamp life dramatically.

This is most likely to happen if you have the TV power connected to a AV receiver's switched power outlet or you use one of the "smart" power strips that is triggered by a component other than the TV itself.

You should ALWAYS use the TV's power off function so that the lamp fan will run through it's cool down cycle. Unless you have chronic power outages a UPS should not be necessary but is always a good idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TV is probably on 4 to 6 hours per day (on average). More on the weekends when games are on the tube. We seldom have power outages where we live. The TV always goes through its normal cycle when we shut it down. I can hear a fan or something running for about 3-5 minutes after turning the TV off, then I'll hear a final click and the fan noise disappears.

It is my understanding that DLP's aren't even manufactured anymore due to bulb problems and customer complaints. Does anyone know if you can still purchase a new one? I love the picture of this one, but think replacing one bulb per year is ridiculous. Toshiba doesn't seem to think so or at least won't take responsibility for a poor product. I won't be purchasing from Toshiba again.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjosh /forum/post/18136655

TV is probably on 4 to 6 hours per day (on average). More on the weekends when games are on the tube. We seldom have power outages where we live. The TV always goes through its normal cycle when we shut it down. I can hear a fan or something running for about 3-5 minutes after turning the TV off, then I'll hear a final click and the fan noise disappears.

It is my understanding that DLP's aren't even manufactured anymore due to bulb problems and customer complaints.

Nope.

Mitsu still makes a full line of RP DLP HDTVs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.