AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing a Sammy HLN-507W DLP. The color wheel went a few years back, now the light engine has failed on the DMD (so my repair person tells me). They say $700-$800 to fix and I see no sense in that. I'm to the 3rd level of Sammy seeking some relief from them, but I think I've about given up on that. Anyway, now in market for 50" plasma, kind of have it narrowed down to Sammy PN50A560, LG 50PG25, or Panny TH-50PX80U.

My questions are about whether or not to fix the DLP and also preferences on the plasmas. I'm pretty well set on the 720p plasmas, as I don't think I'll ever own a BlueRay player (not into the whole home theater thing, I don't even have a separate audio setup other than what comes w/ the TV). I also an not up on my forums, but I don't think anyone is planning/able to broadcast in 1080p anytime soon. Am I on target with that? Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooper /forum/post/14232149

I'm replacing a Sammy HLN-507W DLP. The color wheel went a few years back, now the light engine has failed on the DMD (so my repair person tells me). They say $700-$800 to fix and I see no sense in that. I'm to the 3rd level of Sammy seeking some relief from them, but I think I've about given up on that. Anyway, now in market for 50" plasma, kind of have it narrowed down to Sammy PN50A560, LG 50PG25, or Panny TH-50PX80U.

My questions are about whether or not to fix the DLP and also preferences on the plasmas. I'm pretty well set on the 720p plasmas, as I don't think I'll ever own a BlueRay player (not into the whole home theater thing, I don't even have a separate audio setup other than what comes w/ the TV). I also an not up on my forums, but I don't think anyone is planning/able to broadcast in 1080p anytime soon. Am I on target with that? Let me know what you think.

I recently moved from a DLP unit to Plasma.

How did you come to the decision of Plasma over another DLP, or LCD?

Do you have any chance to view all three sets in the wild?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the life of the DLP I'm replacing (about 5 years), I just can't justify the kind of money I'm paying for such a short life. I got this when DLP was a newer technology, but if they can't stand by their processor for more than 5 years, I can't see buying another. LCD might be a consideration; I need someone to sell me on the concept though.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooper /forum/post/14232149

Anyway, now in market for 50" plasma, kind of have it narrowed down to Sammy PN50A560, LG 50PG25, or Panny TH-50PX80U.

Don't waste your money on fixing the DLP, take the money you save and apply it toward a new plasma.

As for the 720p vs 1080p thing, you don't need Blu-Ray or a 1080p source to take advantage of the higher resolution panel. If you're sitting close enough SD and HD cable and regular DVDs will look better on a 1080p Panasonic vs the 720p models so your viewing distance will play a large factor. I have one of each and all the sources above look better on the 1080p display at my viewing distance, but if i were to be a few feet further away then a 720p set would probably suit me just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts