1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should make all you DLP owners happy ;) ;
http://www.tvtechnology.com/hd_notebook/one.php?id=357
Quote:
For rear projection, sales of 40- to 45-inch DLP RPTVs increased by 65 percent during the same period--with that growth coming largely at the expense of 40- to 45-inch LCD RPTVs, which dropped in sales by 44 percent.
and make you LCD owners unhappy. :(

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
The new Sony A10's will kick Sammy's ass.
Just a overated status symbol...........

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
The article states percentage difference from past sales of DLP units.

It still doesn't say how much of the market is LCD vs. DLP

For example (and these numbers are totally made up) if DLP sales were $1billion and LCD sales were $5billion, you could have a $650million sales increase in DLPs that came mostly from LCDs, but then you'd have DLP sales at $1.65B and LCD sales at $4.35B.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Yeah, I sort of have to wonder about the accuracy of these numbers. Regardless the new Sony A10 models are gonna put a hurtin on DLPs. :)

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Their are three suspicious things concerning that report that make me question it. The give percentages instead of numbers, they only cover the first half of this year, and they cover a very narrow size range of 40 to 45 inches.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Their are three suspicious things concerning that report that make me question it. The give percentages instead of numbers, they only cover the first half of this year, and they cover a very narrow size range of 40 to 45 inches.

Very bogus...remember that DLP's used to START at 46 inches and bigger till recently..hence the big increase in sales now that Samung offers a 42 incher..DUH!

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck
Very bogus...remember that DLP's used to START at 46 inches and bigger till recently..hence the big increase in sales now that Samung offers a 42 incher..DUH!

Very good Alan. I didn't know that.

Gotta watch those bottom feeders. :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul
Right. Very biased article. Very transparent. They have a conclusion to push, then look for "facts" to support it:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't see why people have created this DLP vs LCD type rivalry. Why can't people just be glad they have more than one choice? :confused:

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
RPTV market share info..

#1 market share this year: CRT

#2 market share this year: LCD

#3 market share this year: DLP

CRT is so far ahead that it will finish the year in first place -- for the last time.

LCD is so far ahead of DLP that it will finish the year in 2nd place.

·
Registered
16,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rogo; and that came from..............?
Quote:
Why would anyone care if the technology of their TV is losing market share to another technology?
It is always nice to know where your choice is standing as to the future of that technology.

I posted the link since I thought it was interesting. Numbers can be changed around to favor anyones point.

Look at corporate American. Best liars there are. :mad:

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce
rogo; and that came from..............?
Projected from the very reliable iSuppli.

No one in the industry doubts this data as presented that I can find.

Note that by year end, it's expected to be close, but this isn't like a foot race where someone can suddenly come from behind.

Roughly for the year, CRT 1.036 million, LCD RPTV 961 thousand, DLP 846 thousand, LCOS 168 thousand. CRT is down from 1.7, LCD up from 553, DLP up from 453, LCOS up from 43.

Obviously, by next year, both DLP and LCD will pass CRT.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
Projected from the very reliable iSuppli.

No one in the industry doubts this data as presented that I can find.

Note that by year end, it's expected to be close, but this isn't like a foot race where someone can suddenly come from behind.

Roughly for the year, CRT 1.036 million, LCD RPTV 961 thousand, DLP 846 thousand, LCOS 168 thousand. CRT is down from 1.7, LCD up from 553, DLP up from 453, LCOS up from 43.

Obviously, by next year, both DLP and LCD will pass CRT.

LCD RPTV Sales may even pass CRT by the 1st QTR of next year. Fastest growing microdisplay segment. That title will be taken over by LCoS next year, but LCos, naturally is coming from a smaller base.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle
LCD RPTV Sales may even pass CRT by the 1st QTR of next year. Fastest growing microdisplay segment. That title will be taken over by LCoS next year, but LCos, naturally is coming from a smaller base.
Yes, I think it might even happen in Q4 but not by enough to take CRT's crown for the whole year.

I agree LCOS will grow, but I wonder how much. The announcements are many, the products are few. And the market is likely to see more competitors shaken out over time. I'm not convinced there is room for these second-tier players like JVC in the long run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.