AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I am a novice to the HT world. Never the less, we our in the process of building a dedicated home Theater in our house, which is currently under construction. I have been doing a lot of research concerning which projector to go with. We were initially leaning toward a Runco CRT, DTV950, which was offered to us for $12,990. After you figure in the image scaler, $2,599, our total cost would be $15,589.00. We were told that CRT’s are very temperamental and we should look at the DLP line of projectors. After comparing several DLP’s in our price range it came down to the Runco VX-100c and the sharp XV-Z9000U. Runco is about $7,000 more money and I am not sure it is worth it. Video is very important to my wife and I. We would appreciate any advise, comments or suggestions. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Well, there are many fans of all of the DLP models here on this forum. I cast my vote (and my $) with the Marantz. $12.5k list, can be had for less (MUCH less if you buy from Japan and forego the warranty..i.e. you have to pay to ship it back to japan for servicing).

It has the faroudja deinterlacing chip (best in the biz), completely sealed optical path, minolta lens, incredibly accurate color, no light spill, and (relatively) low fan noise. Some cite the short throw lens as a problem, though I dont see why. My PJ is mounted directly over my seating position and I never hear it.

Most important of all - it makes an outstanding picture! Particularly on a firehawk screen.

Poke around the forum - you'll find tons of threads debating the merits of each. At the end of the day they all make a great picture. Subtle differences wind up steering purchase decisions.

Good luck!

TM

·
Registered
381 Posts
Runco caters to those who want a turnkey home theater. Some folks are not as interested in the technology, and just want to have their theater installed by professionals. Runcos are mostly sold through full service HT boutiques. As a personal opinion, I don't believe their prices are justified.

If you don't mind doing a little research, you can save many thousands by choosing a projector which use the same underlying technology. Marantz, Sharp, infocus and others are well regarded. You will also save by purchasing through reputable Internet dealers such as AVS.

While this may require a little more effort on your part, you will wind up with a better theater and will have saved 25%-45% on the equipment.

If video is very important I would also suggest investigating D-ila projectors, as they have stunning images and would seem to fit within your budget. Not a lot of brick and mortar stores have them on display, so it is hard to do a comparison. I think the D-ila offers the greatest price/ performance ratio of any digital projector.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm also trying to choose a DLP proj, and from what I've seen, the William Phelps calibrated JVC-DLA15U has one of the most excellent picture so far, BUT not good in white uniformity, as there's a color shift from pinkish to greenish from left to right. So if your scene is very bright with uniform color, or if you're watching a black and white movie/footage, you'll be surprise to see the effect. I was told that this is common with D-ILA projectors, but with even more calibration, it can be reduced, but can never be eliminated completely. Sigh ... I thought only CRT does it. I'd like to get a proj that doesn't need professional calibration out of the box. Then came JVC DLA150CL which is supposed to be a step up from uncalibrated DLA15U and supposed to be good right of the box (no need of pro calibration). But I haven't seen it myself, and so many people have said things about it without even seeing it themselves.

I've seen Yamaha DLP and Sharp 9000U, and I'm waiting to see the new DWIN TV2 (hopefully) within two weeks.

My advice is that you should see them yourself and decide. So many people have good theories and speculations without even seeing the products themselves. Everyone has his/her own point and interest, and each has different priority and standard. Some aspect might be crucial for one but not for the others. Taste is also involved here.

If you have access to various dealers that can demo the proj, go see it.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My wife and I also find movies an important part of our lives. We just bought a Sharp 9000 two weeks ago and think it is wonderful in almost all respects. It is my first front projector. Setup is a snap. 10 minutes out of the box I was set it up and watching a movie. It took longer to setup my screen than it did to setup the projector.

One of the things I liked was that I was able to put the projector on top of a bookshelf and use the lens shift to position the image on the screen - no need to mount the projector upside-down on the ceiling. This is a small convenience, but it makes it possible to easily set the projector up yourself.

You can read elsewhere about the picture quality, so I will not go into that other than say we really enjoy watching DVD movies with it. Cable TV is another matter, but then cable looks just as poor on my 50" TV. I've yet to get a HDTV receiver, so I cannot comment on that.

The projector does have a few things that I wish were different. First of all it is a bit noisy. It is not so loud that it intrudes into the movie very often - but we definitely notice it during quiet scenes. I'm building a very simple hush box to see if that helps.

I upgraded my 3 year old low end DVD player by getting a Sony DVP-NS700P Progressive scan for and noticed a the improvement in the detail of the image. I would really like to see this projector driven by a high-end scaler, but I doubt the image would be much better than what I've got now. A scaler may help cable TV.

In short, I think the Sharp would be a wise purchase for you if you like it. If you've not seen it, you really should do so. Buying it from ********** (a sponsor of this forum, I believe), will save you money - but then buying it from a local dealer will free you from the trouble of setting it up.

Good luck,

Tim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hi rjmalone,

I hooked up a VX-1000 a couple of weeks ago, the result leaves me breathless. The image was absolut brillant in terms of colorfidelity, the deapth of the image it looks more CRT than every other DLP i´ve ever seen before.

But think also to the rest of your system. With the separate PFP controller, with gives you the possibility to run just only the RGBHV and data to the projector, the rest of your system(TV, VCR, DVD and an HD Input) will bw connected to the PFP.

And the remote gives you the fully control of your system with only 8 knobs.

The adjustments are absolute complete with colorbalancing and very good memory settings with independ frontpanal controls for every input itself.

Best

Armin

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you are looking to buy a DLP projector your should consider the following, (in no specific order);

1. Sharp 9000

2. Marantz

3. Seleco HT300

4. Runco VX1000

5. Dwin Transvision II (not released yet)

I did not mention price because the MSRP and street prices of each projector can vary considerably depending on where you buy them.

Most importantly - try to see as many projectors as you can. Pick the one that looks best to YOU. Have fun. Reed.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Obviously this comes down to personal preference. I love the picture on the Runco. It's better than any other DLP I've seen (I have not seen the Marantz). The picture is nearly twice as bright as the Sharp so it holds up very well with ambient light. But with the difference in price it should look better. Only you can decide if the difference is worth $7k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have just become aware of this reply function. You well note an e-mail from me from some additional questions. Thanks again you were very helpful!

·
Registered
360 Posts
What seems to be SERIOUSLY missing in these recommendations is the ACCURACY about the pricing!!! The Runco VX1000c is a package of a projector AND a scaler! The Sharp and Marantz have internal scalers that only allow processing of 480P (I am not 100% on the marantz only doing this though). The Runco can scale 720P/1080i. Adding a good scaler to get 720P will cost $3-5K so the price gap narrows. I have viewed the Runco, the Sharp, the Yamaha, & Seleco DLP's. I rank the Runco 1st, and Sharp second and the others tie. Without using "technical words"...I just thought the Runco had the best picture.

I am NOT a Runco advocate but what we have here is a person new to H.T. and to this forum asking us for advice who have been doing H.T. for awhile. We need to make sure that WE give accurate advise, if you are not 100% then say it like I did....at least gives the person something to research!

Ok well I am off my soap box now! :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
The Marantz takes any incoming signal and scales it to 720p. There is no need for an outboard scaler with the runco: it's built in faroudja deinterlacing is the best in the biz and the pixelworks scaler does a terrific job (deinterlacing is MUCH more important for picture quality than scaling).

IMO the Marantz is superior to the Sharp by virtue of its out of the box accuracy and built in deinterlacing/scaling superiority.

TM

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
The deinterlacer in the Marantz and Seleco smoke the external box from Runco. The Runco box is non-motion-adaptive. It is using a Genesis chip for deinterlacing. BTW, if you open up the Runco, you will find the Sharp9k inside.

·
Registered
246 Posts
RJMALONE..

REED W. ..I believe said it best... look at all these projectors and YOU make up your mind what is the best for you. Make sure you read about the all the issues people have with various DLP's that are listed here in AVS. There have been several listed here in AVS about the Marantz and Sharp with various issues. Take them all with a grain of salt, also you will find a lot of RUNCO -SLAMMERS here. Do your research... Good article in Sound and Vision that is on the newsstand. make sure you view as many DLP's as you can at length. Some people get headaches / eyestrain watching DLP's. Also there is the new HD-2 chip about to come out and the issue with DVI. Take your time.... Ron AZ

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
some other bits of info to help us would be:

how big a screen are you doing?

is this to be in a dedicated theater room?

will there be a lot of other light in the room?

what is the distance from the projector lens to the screen (throw distance)

after seeing the latest 1 chip DLPs and DILAs at the Home Entertainment show the other day I was surprised at my general preference for the DILA. Everything in the press is very pro DLP. I think DILA diserves serious consideration. Finally, I was not impressed with the runco 5000 (which is based on the 1000, just better optics). I think part of my problem was their scaler. I think its safe to say I would stick with the Sharp over the runco. But if youre willing to spend runco dollars, look at some DILAs. See what you like.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Here is my nod for D-ILA as well. The Faroudja demo was the only one were I came away generally impressed. The technology does have its drawbacks but those are primarily regarding ergonomics and not PQ. The best thing is when purchased piecemeal the JVC comes in at a competitive price point. (~15k)

I would have to agree with Aerialman regarding the Runco. ARTIFACT PRONE! Not only was the deinterlacing not up to snuff the picture had some serious grain to it. In my opinion you could do better elsewhere.

In the end all that matters is that you find a picture that YOU are happy with and not the opinions of others, even my own:)

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ucupa
I'm also trying to choose a DLP proj, and from what I've seen, the William Phelps calibrated JVC-DLA15U has one of the most excellent picture so far, BUT not good in white uniformity, as there's a color shift from pinkish to greenish from left to right.
A well calibrated G15 should not have left to right color shift as you describe. Corners can be a problem, but left/right top/bottom should be uniform. There have been a few exceptions, but this usually turns out to be a lamp alignment problem. However, the projector has to be calibrated for its intended use; if it is inverted from how it was calibrated this can (and usually does) cause shading problems.

William

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
BTW, if you open up the Runco, you will find the Sharp9k inside.
Well if that's true, it's the world's greatest Z9000!

Leaving out a D-ILA which is of comparable image quality but more difficult to set up (what with calibrations, hush boxes, computer as a source, etc.), I think it is utterly obvious that the three best units are the Marantz, the Runco VX1000C, and the SIM2 HT300 and HT200DMF (but only for DVDs). The Transvision 2 has yet to be seen as far as I know, and frankly, I'm not sanguine based on what I saw of the first Transvision (an unfair comment, perhaps).

The Runco does display some very minor (to me) processing flaws, as Stacey points out, but so too does the Marantz very surprisingly, despite the Faroudja chips. But the Runco is easily the most CRT-like in my judgment. For that reason, I'd rank the Marantz next. It's a close second, and much less money if you buy from Japan, but it definitely has a different sort of image, so you must see these units for yourself.

I'd be happy with either of these great projectors, or even the $8500 SIM2 HT200DMF (if I watched mostly DVDs).

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Quote:
The deinterlacer in the Marantz and Seleco smoke the external box from Runco. The Runco box is non-motion-adaptive. It is using a Genesis chip for deinterlacing. BTW, if you open up the Runco, you will find the Sharp9k inside.
Quote:
The Runco does display some very minor (to me) processing flaws, as Stacey points out, but so too does the Marantz very surprisingly, despite the Faroudja chips. But the Runco is easily the most CRT-like in my judgment.
These quotes from earlier postings imply that if you add the external Runco deinterlacer to a Sharp 9000, you'll get the same image quaity from a Sharp 9000 that you do from the Runco. Can you do this and is this true?

Just a thought

Tim

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Interesting idea...Be fun to try it.

But the Runco looks significantly sharper, as does the Marantz. Perhaps the optics were changed in addition to adding the PFP scaler, not to mention anything else that may have been done.

I read here that the 1000C was sourced from NEC, but I differ to Stacey who undoubtedly knows more.

One thing I'm not convinced about: The Runco sounds quite, quite different from the Sharp. The fans are higher pitched, for one thing. If the VX1000C starts out as a Sharp 9000, how can this be accounted for?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.