AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum. I know a little about electronics but up till a couple of weeks ago I thought an artifact was something you dug up that belonged to primitive man.

My question is this. I am getting ready to drop big bucks on a HDTV. I love the Samsung HLN's. I would love to get the 61 inch. I like the DLP contrast, lack of burn in etc. I was in a store in Seattle over Christmas and saw one for the first time. The salesman told me the Tantus had better color than the others. I had noticed a green glow or cast to the DLP screens and he showed me that his Tanus didn't have it. Sure enough, it didn't. By reading this forum, I have since observed that most members state that all HLN's are the same, nevertheless, I was impressed by the difference in the Tantus above.

What causes the green cast and can you get rid of it easily?

Have others had this problem.

Thanks, Curt Juergens

·
Registered
116 Posts
I saw the same thing on a 50in at BB..Just had a Tantus 56in delivered today and didnt see the "neon Greens either"Dont know why but I hope this confirms the info on the Tantus models..Enjoy!!

·
2,436 Posts
Curt,

Welcome to the Forum. It has been a busy day for new members.

As always the sales people don't know what they are talking about. Internally all of the Sammy DLP's are the same at this point. The only difference is the screen size and cosmetics of the external case.

Go the the "Popular Threads and look at the Samsung section for more info than you ever wanted! ;) located here. You will also find talk about the "Green Push" and possible solutions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=323602

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by C Juergens
What causes the green cast and can you get rid of it easily?

Have others had this problem.
Yes it is a common problem that can be corrected with service menu changes.

It's possible that the demo models you saw have different firmware version installed in them. That could cause differences. Also the store may have had the Tantus (either HLN467 or HLN567) calibrated.

If two sets come off the assembly line at the same time they would have the same version of the firmware (computer code stored on a chip). Samsung seems to take a shot at modifying service menu settings for each set.

Based on reports here, the same model with the same firmware version installed probably has some service menu settings that differ.

None of these differences are related to the model (HLNxx7 or HLNxx65).

In addition to the "Popular" link Barrybud gave you, here is a link to DLP developments announced at CES.

Click here for DLP news at CES.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I really like the Samsung DLP RPTV's, in fact I have an HLN617W at home. They can look a bit mediocre out of the box, but as htwaits mentioned, they can be made to look terrific with service menu adjustments as part of a calibration. Where are you located?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Danny,

I am in a SE Washington town called Richland. We are in the hi tech desert here.

Wow! Reading the CES info makes me want to wait---guess it's like a computer-obsolete as soon as you buy it.

Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.