AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help with respect to the PROC_SET setting under the DNIe menu of the SM for Sammy DLPs. This applies to both Component and DVI inputs.

I noticed that most people have theirs set to "68." My friend's was set to "102." We tried changing that number, and now we have three options: 0, 240 (which puts a line in the middle of the screen) and 255. Does anyone know how to tweak this setting? We'd like to get it back to "102."

If you have not messed around with this setting, I don't recommend it. You may become stuck as we are.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm thinking AUTOCOLOR might work to restore the default setting. Can someone confirm that AUTOCOLOR is harmless and merely returns the set to factory defaults?

Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried running AUTOCOLOR on my TV, and, while it made some noticeable changes to the picture, it did not restore any of my SM settings to their defaults. Thus, I have no idea what AUTOCOLOR did. What a day.

·
Registered
980 Posts
A little bump for my homey

·
Registered
714 Posts
Did you look in my tweaks spreadsheet? It says that PROC_SET does not accept changes. (Although from you experiences, it appears that it does). In any case, it is a field that should not be changed, so I don't know why you even tried. Also, read the warning about Autocolor. This parameter is marked as something that should never be changed, people have reported very bad results. I don't want to be harsh, but if you want to screw up your set go ahead and keep changing parameters like these. I think changing a service menu setting because of "hey, I wonder what this one does," or "my friends value is different." is a recipe for trouble. Stick to changing the standard "tweaking" parameters that have been posted all over this forum.

If you can get PROC_SET back to a value that isn't messing up your picture, do it, and consider this a lesson learned.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mike_pro

If you can get PROC_SET back to a value that isn't messing up your picture, do it, and consider this a lesson learned.
Thanks, Mom. How do I get back to 102? It seems odd to me that I can't return it to the original setting.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I believe that the longevity of the dmd is compromised when this setting is altered. It relates to the timing sequence of the individual mirrors and changing it may cause a fatal error in the light engine causing your tv to show nothing but reruns of Brady Bunch.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmila
Thanks, Mom. How do I get back to 102? It seems odd to me that I can't return it to the original setting.
You are welcome son. ;) How are you changing the value of this parameter? Are you using the right/left or up/down cursor keys, or the keypad to enter in a number?

It seems like thatperhaps you will not be able to get it back to the original setting. But, can you get it to ANY setting that isn't putting a line across your picture or somehow messing it up? If so, do it and consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am using left/right to toggle between 0, 240 and 255. Up/down takes me back to the previous menu. 240 is the only one with a line in the middle. I guess we'll just try 0 and 255 to see what we like best. I just wish I could get it back to 102 for peace of mind.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmila
I'm thinking AUTOCOLOR might work to restore the default setting. Can someone confirm that AUTOCOLOR is harmless and merely returns the set to factory defaults?

Thanks.
Don't touch Autocolor......I had an email explanation from Samsung for it's purpose from last winter but I doubt I can still find it. I'll take a look around inside of this thing to see what I can find. Bottom line is it won't help you so don't mess with it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
too late. he already changed the autocolor setting

·
Registered
714 Posts
Try entering in the value using the numbers on the remote.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does anyone have any more info on proc set or autocolor?

·
Registered
727 Posts
From what I can remember Autocolor is used at the factory to set up the TV. A specific device is used the generate a specific image on the screen...from that the color is set.......my email service cleaned out the explanation that Samsung had sent me. The short answer would be it won't help you any so leave it alone.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thats awesome that tmila used it. The world needs more adventurers who are willing to take risks!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
No help here, but it brings up something I was wondering about. So many of the SM settings seem to have no effect, but I was wondering if they do if you "reboot" the TV.

Often, firmware settings are read and applied only on powerup. So it could be that all the knobs and other settings would change the picture if you saved and then repowered.

It would take a hopelessly long time to verify and understand the changes without a manual explaining the values.

Ken

·
Registered
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenLand
No help here, but it brings up something I was wondering about. So many of the SM settings seem to have no effect, but I was wondering if they do if you "reboot" the TV.

Often, firmware settings are read and applied only on powerup. So it could be that all the knobs and other settings would change the picture if you saved and then repowered.

It would take a hopelessly long time to verify and understand the changes without a manual explaining the values.

Ken
I was thinking the same thing, however isn't it odd that only some of the settings are this way? Why would one setting require a reboot and not the one right next to it? Also did you ever notice that when you turn SLR on that the screen immediatly begins to strobe? I had a 90 IRE field up when I turned it on and it began to strobe faintly........turn it off, it goes away.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Why dont you guys see if you can change Proc_set and then get it back to its original value? I'm sure tmila would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DooDoo
Why dont you guys see if you can change Proc_set and then get it back to its original value? I'm sure tmila would appreciate the help.
I certainly would never recommend this to anyone. Are you guys aware of a method for simply restoring factory defaults? That was the point of my AUTOCOLOR "experiment." The funny thing about AUTOCOLOR is that while it DEFINITELY changed the color scheme of my DLP, none of the color gains or offsets were changed. It almost seems as if there's some hidden color values/settings that we don't have access to.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Some things werent meant to be changed...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.