AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Samsung HLN467W and have noticed two stuck pixels (or stuck mirrors) on the screen. Ordinarily, I would return the set for a replacement, but due to the lack of available inventory at my local dealer, I decided to contact Samsung's customer service department instead.

Samsung immediately agreed to service the tv; however, I'm now having second thoughts.

The picture is great, and the stuck pixels/mirrors aren't that noticeable from my viewing position. Is having the tv serviced a risky proposition? Have others encountered a similar situation? If so, how did you resolve the problem?

Thanks for your advice.

Matt

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The best option would be to return the set and get a new one.

Having it serviced is a little riskier, depends on how good the service technican is and their experience in this type of service. For a stuck mirror, they would have to replace the DMD chip itself.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I would think they'd replace the entire light engine, rather than the DMD chip itself. Having had the LE replaced on my set, it would seem to be much easier since it's just one complete unit and takes 15 minutes to change out.

Are the stuck mirrors square? The reason I ask is that I've had more than my share of Samsung DLPs, and most of them had "crud" on the inside of the screen which made a black mark on the screen - but could be cleaned and the black spot went away.

If the black spots are very square, then it probably is dead mirrors and I'd either exchange the set, or have them change out the light engine. If they change it out and you're still not happy, then exchange or return the set...

·
Registered
312 Posts
After my experiences with a bad bulb install that turned into a DMD board replacment that was not necessary...I'd not let anyone touch that DMD board. I'd suggest replacing the light engine as that unit has been aligned and sealed.. just have to make sure you/they focus it correctly ...then if that doesn't fix it I'd get in line for a replacement set from the retailer.. and yes it does matter who does the service. If some guy/gal shows up that has never seen one of these units... or wants to 'take it to the shop'... I'd get cold feet really quickly. The alignment on that DMD board/surface is critical to get the picture projected correctly and I've see how that board comes out an goes in and its not a 10 min job. later. Vincent

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
JFischer,

By "crud" do you mean discolorations (almost look like water stains) that tend to show up best when the screen is all white for instance (but are generally not visible)? I have these on my HLN467W and have thought they are probably caused by dust or other junk on the screen or somewhere in the light path.

I wanted to clean them off, but they appear to possibly be on the inside of the screen. It sounds like you have opened your unit up and cleaned it ... I didn't realize that was possible. Could you please tell us what you did, how difficult it was, and what risks were involved?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
UCSB, what you may have is not dust, but part of the screen material. It seems to be a common phenomenon to all digital RPTV's. It is faintly visible on a white or very light screen if the temperature is on the cold side. It should normally go away after the set has been on for a little while. There is a whole thread on this issue somewhere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is definitely one stuck pixel/mirror, as it's uniformly square. The other spot may be a speck of dirt, as it almost appears to be half a pixel (which I assume is not possible).

It sounds like having the tv serviced is a risky endeavor, so I'll speak with my dealer today about a replacement (the HLN467W is either in very high demand or has very low supply - Hopefully, I won't have to wait very long for a replacement).

Stuck mirrors don't appear to be a common problem with DLP - Is that correct?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Matt

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Arun, is there any information or thread or whatever that lists all of the pros and cons for plasmas versus DLPs versus LCDs. It would be nice to be able to tell someone why plasma is better in some situations than the other 2, or DLP is better is certain situations than the other 2, etc?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Speakender
Stuck mirrors don't appear to be a common problem with DLP - Is that correct?
They are very rare, and I don't know of any case where they weren't covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmamaniac
Arun, is there any information or thread or whatever that lists all of the pros and cons for plasmas versus DLPs versus LCDs. It would be nice to be able to tell someone why plasma is better in some situations than the other 2, or DLP is better is certain situations than the other 2, etc?
I have just sent you a PM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.