AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard that if I should buy an DLP projector for my hometheatre I should buy one with SVGA resolution because the XGA chip will "lag" when showing moving images!

Is this true?

------------------

Janne.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
That's an incorrect rumor. XGA DLP do fine if you have the correct refresh rate with HTPC. Progressive set top box DVD player also do well. I also believe such talk was about XGA LCD and not XGA DLP. Even this was usually related to wrong refresh rates. My XGA DLP (LT150) and XGA LCD (VPL-CX1) are perfect with my HTPC at 60-70 Hz. Any higher refresh and there would be "tearing" of top half of image (mild but noticeable lag of top of screen vs. bottom of screen). So don't let this scare you off from XGA units. XGA is better at HDTV or any imaging actually as resolution is higher. SVGA is cheaper and that's about the ONLY advantage. As they say, you get what you pay for :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
You are probably referring to the number of Davis DLP XGA units produced under many different brands that were excellent units, but suffered from "tearing" of the image when using computer/RGB port to watch video.

One of the nice things Davis' engineers did before the company went under was to fix this in the internal software and I believe that all of the XGA models produced by Davis are repairable using the upgraded software files located on the Davis website (if it still exists!).

I'm not aware if XGA DLP's not manufactured by Davis also exhibit this problem.

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.