AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a single chip DLP projector with a color wheel really result in viewers headaches....if he is watching more than 2 hours in a sitting ??

I have demo-ed DLP front projectors....but never more than say 30 minutes at a time....I am wondering if I would get a suprise if I sat for the length of a football game.

I also notice that the new Samsung & Joe Kane DLP lists a 5x color wheel....is that the speed of the color wheel ? And the faster the color wheel goes...will it have lesser an effect on the old noggin ?

·
Registered
410 Posts
No headaches here. Although I have experienced anal leakage, pulmonary edema, cranial hemorrhaging, and multiple personalities from staring into the bulb while it was on.

Oh yeah, and I got a hangnail once too. But I think it was just the movie we were watching, not the projector.

·
Banned
539 Posts
I think the people who claim to get headaches are either hypochondriacs or frustrated RPTV/Plasma salesman.

Hundreds of people have viewed my X1 and not one has complained of headaches. Just remember that some people are prone to headaches and they will get one whether they are watching a DLP projector or staring at a blank wall.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by simmike
I think the people who claim to get headaches are either hypochondriacs or frustrated RPTV/Plasma salesman.
Oh, get real! The phenomenon has been noted and addressed by too many knowledgeable people to chalk it up to imagination.

P.S. Remember, just because some people get headaches from DLP's doesn't mean your projector isn't great, you aren't a wonderful person, etc., etc. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smitty
Oh, get real! The phenomenon has been noted and addressed by too many knowledgeable people to chalk it up to imagination.

P.S. Remember, just because some people get headaches from DLP's doesn't mean your projector isn't great, you aren't a wonderful person, etc., etc. :)
Viewing a projection screen in a darkened room can cause eye strain in short order. This is primarily due to the iris opening and closing dramatically as scenes change from dark to light on the screen. For a vivid demonstration of how frequently light levels change throughout a typical program, turn your back to a TV in a darkened room and notice how much the light changes in the room, both in intensity and frequency. Providing a small amount of light behind the set 'biases' the iris (reducing the range of motion in the iris muscle), resulting in more relaxed viewing.

Some people may be more sensitive to this, and it may be exacerbated by the newer projectors with more light output.

It has nothing to do with speed of color wheels, rainbows, meteor showers or psychic activity.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Quote:
It has nothing to do with speed of color wheels, rainbows, meteor showers or psychic activity.
Gee, Az, I don't know about that. The Day of the Triffids proved pretty conclusively that there's a link between meteor showers and vision. :D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Az Barber

But the complaint is centered on DLP's, not LCD's, LCOS, or CRT's. I don't have an axe to grind either in favor of or against DLP's, but let's not pretend there is not an issue when it appears that there is, at least to some people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.