AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for opinions on the follwoing DLP TV's


Samsung NLN507W

RCA Scenium HDLP50W151

Panasonic PT-52DL52

SVA HD5008

Optoma RD-50

Hitachi 55DMX01WD


I will be watching HDTV, SDTV, DVD, PC, Cable, and SAT. I have never heard of SVA or Optoma. How do all of these brands and TV's compare?
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdtvmartini
I am looking for opinions on the follwoing DLP TV's


Samsung NLN507W

RCA Scenium HDLP50W151

Panasonic PT-52DL52

SVA HD5008

Optoma RD-50

Hitachi 55DMX01WD


I will be watching HDTV, SDTV, DVD, PC, Cable, and SAT. I have never heard of SVA or Optoma. How do all of these brands and TV's compare?
Samsung HLN507W -- selling in large numbers -- extensive information in this forum.


RCA Scenium HDLP50W151 -- "may" be in stores soon -- all signals into analog before conversion to 720p for display -- will not accept 720p from any input other than it's own tuner.


Panasonic PT-52DL52 -- dead -- Panasonic no longer builds DLP sets


SVA HD5008 -- I've never heard of the HD5008. I did a search for "HD5008" in this forum and didn't get a hit.


Optoma RD-50 -- Full sized floor model that is distributed through custom installers -- Optoma is a front projector company and this is their first try at a RPTV.


Hitachi 55DMX01WD -- dead I think(??) -- Hitachi just came out with a LCD set. -- the forum has questions about this DLP set but no responses.


There is also the Sim2 52" set that sells for $12,000. :)


The Sim2 is probably wonderful and the Optoma is also probably good but I prefer the price, support and wide distribution of the Samsung DLP sets.


The RCA sets seem to me to have been rushed to market with outdated components adapted from their CRT line. The RCA sets do have what should be an outstanding light engine from a front projector company. RCA doesn't seem to have a good customer support record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,839 Posts
I have seen the Optoma and it is a very impressive set, with better PQ in general than the Sammy DLPs. However, it is also more expensive, in lesser distribution, and has less of an established track record than the Sammy. Both are semi-sucky on compressed SD material.


Net net: For more money and risk the Optoma can be a beautiful choice. You have to decide what it important to you in this regard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like if I want the TV in the very near term, The Samsung DLP is the way to go. If I knew something even better was coming out before the end of the year I would consider waiting. LG is another brand I am not familar with. I'm nervous about going with a brand that is not widely distributed.


It also sounds like there are mixed opinions on DLP vs. LCOS. It would be great if there was an obvious winner. It's still hard for me to believe that Sony, Mitsubishi, and Pioneer don't have a product to complete with price and PQ of the Samsung. What am I missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,839 Posts
Sony is primarily concentrating on RP-LCD right now. Take a look at all of the "GWIII" threads. They are working on a variant of LCoS technology, however, but I don't think it will be out soon. Mits has a DLP offering, but it is *very* expensive compared to everyone else. Pioneer is putting most of their marbles in the plasma arena.
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hdtvmartini
It also sounds like there are mixed opinions on DLP vs. LCOS. It would be great if there was an obvious winner. It's still hard for me to believe that Sony, Mitsubishi, and Pioneer don't have a product to complete with price and PQ of the Samsung. What am I missing?
Rather than an obvious winner I'm hoping for a lot of competition. :D


I listed the Mitsubishi but deleted it because it's too practical for me at $21,000 for 82" and 500lbs. ;)


The LCD sets from Sony, Panasonic, and Hitachi are competing with DLP for a lot of people.


I just saw the 50" Panasonic LCD next to the Samsung 50" DLP and wondered how many people would think the Samsung was worth $900+ more than the Panasonic.


Pioneer seems to be leaving the RPTV house early.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
Rather than an obvious winner I'm hoping for a lot of competition. :D
Ditto.


More competition = better quality + lower price. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Some guy at Starpower told me today that pioneer and sony are bringing DLPs to market - and by the way he said it, sounded soon?!? Also, doesn't Loewe have a DLP set right now? If so, has anyone seen it? Articos 55?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,538 Posts
HTWAITS:


I have had the Pan 50" LCD and the Sam 50" DLP sets next to each other in my house and I can guarantee you that the Samsung is worth the extra money on PQ alone...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Robert



I have had the Pan 50" LCD and the Sam 50" DLP sets next to each other in my house and I can guarantee you that the Samsung is worth the extra money on PQ alone...
Having spent hours staring at these two side-by-side, got to disagree with you on this one. Sammy may have a slight edge (and I mean slight), but not enough to justify a street price difference of $1k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
I don't think the Optoma RD-50 is a "Full sized floor model", it's a table top version much like the 50" Samsung. As I recall, it's about an inch and a half taller than the Samsung.
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John McCutcheon
I don't think the Optoma RD-50 is a "Full sized floor model", it's a table top version much like the 50" Samsung. As I recall, it's about an inch and a half taller than the Samsung.
You are probably right. I've never seen a picture of one. I included what I thought someone else had reported.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John McCutcheon
I don't think the Optoma RD-50 is a "Full sized floor model", it's a table top version much like the 50" Samsung. As I recall, it's about an inch and a half taller than the Samsung.
Yes, the RD-50 is a tabletop. The RD-65 is a floor standing model, about the same height as a Pioneer Elite 630HD.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top