AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Samsung HL-P5063W, and when turn the power on the lamp light will blink like its turning on, but it never will turn on and display a picture. It then "clicks" and then starts over again attempting to turn on. This happens a few times, then all three lights on the front start blinking.

If I power it off, then on again, eventually it finally does turn fully on and display a picture, after several tries of this. This doesn't happen all the time though, most of the time it turns on as normal. Is this a lamp problem, or something else? Its out of warranty, so I'm hoping its something simple.

·
Registered
16,166 Posts
If you do get a picture, I doubt it's the bulb. IMO, you need to call for service or replace (IMO, one should get an EW for all microdisplays).

·
Registered
813 Posts
how old is the tv? could be the lamp. The blinking 3 lights sounds like it.. unscrew the housing cover and open the panel. Then close it again and screw it back on. There is a sensor that will not turn on the tv if the cover is not secure, that may be the problem too...

here is info on changing it
http://www.jangro.com/a/2006/08/03/h...-in-5-minutes/

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the TV right around when it was first released, so its close to 3 years old. Yes, I made the mistake of not getting the extended warranty. I wont make that mistake again if I ever get a new TV.

To answer Bobcel: I'm really not sure its the lamp, which is why I had asked here...but it could be. Would a lamp only sometimes display a picture? It will go anywhere between a week or a month of turning on and displaying a picture just fine, before exhibiting this behavior. The thing is, it always eventually comes on and displays a picture (knock on wood).

I will call for service, but wanted to check whether anyone knew offhand if it was something I could fix by replacing a part (since the service call would come out of my pocket due to no warranty any longer). Replacing the lamp looks easy, if it comes to that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well I have heard that the set could try resetting itself when a lamp starts going. Since you are exhibiting the triple light message and your set is 3 years old it most likely is the lamp. Has it looked dimmer at all that you could tell lately? I'm sure Samsung can shine a light on the issue.....no pun intended. Let us know what they say.....I have a HLS 7178 so somewhere along the line I'm sure my lamp will go too.... I did buy an ex warr on mine though....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.