AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard about the wonderful DLP projectors used in some high end home theaters, but just recently heard of DLP (no-projector) TV's. Maybe I'm way behind in technology, but just found that interesting info at the DLP website: Hitachi TV: http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainmen...ail.asp?id=229

My main question: How does a DLP TV compare to a plasma Tv's or other digital quality TV's that do not have projectors? Also, is this DLP TV (which is rather expensive, $15k's+?) the highest end of TV's? What gives you the best picture quality TV; HDTV, Plasma, DLP, etc...

More info:
http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainmen...yers_guide.asp

Thank you!

Dave

·
Registered
157 Posts
Skuttle, well that is about as open a question that you can ask...where to start.

What you refer to are called Rear Projectors or RPTVs. Currently there are a few DLP RPTVs in the marketplace, namely a panasonic and a mitsubishi all over 10K. These all use the TI HD1 chip. The current buzz is about the HD2 chips which are equipping several samsung DLP RPTVs that are to be introduced by early fall. Here are some links discussing these:

discusion re: HD2 RPTVs and FPTVs

dicussion re: samsung DLP RPTVs

The promise of DLP seems to be fairly high quality for low $ and a reletively small form factor. As an example the samsung 50" will go for about $4500 which is approx 1/2 the cost of a 50" plasma. As well, there is no risk of burn in with the technology (compared to plasma) so anyone who games or wants to use the screen as a desktop will benefit from it. Plasma on the other hand simply beats any projector with its form factor. I will stay away from Picture Quality comments as that would be trolling for trouble ( and frankly i haven't looked at either technology enough with varying inputs to properly judge).

Suffice it to say, any comparison of PQ should assume the same feeds, HDTV, cable, sat, DVD, etc. I think the majority of the issues are with how each technology handles lower quality signals rather than HD signals.

One thing i am fairly sure of.....purchasing that hitachi you mentioned would be tossing money away.....there are so many alternatives out there for that kind of money......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Badga,

Thanks for the insight. I had a feelin that this topic has been discussed before but kinda wanted a newer approach. My question was surely open ended and not very specific, but thought that somebody would bite and give some good thought like you did.

Actually, I'm not really in the market for a new $$ TV, but will be next year. Its nice to see this technology coming up!

Truly,

Davis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.