AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take your viewing distance ( in inches ) and divide it by your screen size ( diagonal in inches ) and select the appropriate answer below :

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Use center or back of the couch versus distance to front edge of the couch since your eyes are closer to the back.

Ken

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spike in the "> 2.50" category is interesting. This could be a group of DLP owners that wish they had purchased a bigger set or view a lot of SD content where more distance makes SD look better.

Ken

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far, it looks like the 2X guideline is a bit aggressive since 31% of the DLP owners are sitting less than 2X away from their sets and 69% are sitting greater than 2X away.

Ken

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a pretty even distribution above the 1.75 point. I still think those at >2.50 might wish they had a bigger TV.

Ken

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been considering a 56" DLP at 10 feet (screen to eyes) and was worried that might be too close, but it looks like a ratio of 2.15 is right in the sweet spot.

Ken

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am @ 13 feet, with a 61". That puts me just above 2.5 (2.55~) - I actually think this is just about perfect - if anything, she might still be just a bit too big.... ;)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This poll closes in 6 days.

Ken

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am gald you did this. I am debating between a 50" & 56" at ~8.5'. I am leaning towards the 50" (2.04) but anguishing over the 56"(1.82) :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I can't think of what the actual numbers were but did anybody else notice that the recommended viewing distance in the DLP manual was huge compared to how closely people actually sit.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CPO70
I am gald you did this. I am debating between a 50" & 56" at ~8.5'. I am leaning towards the 50" (2.04) but anguishing over the 56"(1.82) :)
I have the 46" and sit just over 8 feet away. I would not want it any bigger. Digital cable, HDTV and DVDs are good, great and great (in that order) at this distance but SD, even with good signals I feel I am about 2 feet too close.

I would suggest that size isn't everything. If this set is mostly for DVD and HDTV then 50 or 56 may be okay but if this is your main TV I would suggest you look at the 46...

Look on the bright side, it will be cheaper ;-)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This poll closes in 4 days.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This poll closes in 2 days.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quote:
I have the 46" and sit just over 8 feet away. I would not want it any bigger. Digital cable, HDTV and DVDs are good, great and great (in that order) at this distance but SD, even with good signals I feel I am about 2 feet too close.
Thanks for your input rmostad!

Quote:
The spike in the "> 2.50" category is interesting. This could be a group of DLP owners that wish they had purchased a bigger set or view a lot of SD content where more distance makes SD look better.
I'd be curious to know this too....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the last day - thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have had a "guest" 617 in a temporary location for about 2 weeks. I used to think bigger was better at any distance but now I think 9' is minimum for the 61".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.