AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ExtremeTech just posted an interesting article about a recent LCD vs. DLP test performed by Texas Instruments (developers of DLP technology and therefore not exactly impartial in this test).

The article can be found here: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1050696,00.asp

I'm not exactly sure what to make of it, as the test was performed in conditions that are not real-world (24/7! projector use until failure). However, some of those image degradation pictures - specifically the one labelled "Experimental Results 3312 Hours" - are a little disconcerting to someone considering making my first projector an HS10 LCD.

I'm sure the LCD vs. DLP topic has been beaten to death and beyond in here, so I don't know if people will be interested in discussing this any more. If so, to you long-time projector owners out there, have any of you taken any measurements/photos after a couple thousand hours of usage? In real world conditions, is the image degradation anywhere near this dramatic for LCD projectors?

Thanks.

-tony

·
Registered
214 Posts
This had been discussed about a month or so ago in the >$5000 group. I don't remember all of it but some of them did some research and apparently the LCD projectors being used were kind of older technology then current LCDs. Something about them not having polarizers on the blue channel which faded the LCD. I guess most "modern" LCDs now have this piece of hardware. I could be misremembering.

Anyway... I would do a search in the other group to see what there conclusions were. So were skeptical of its timing since it was released days or maybe a weeks after the press release about Sony's SXRD technology.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
My 2 cents ...

I wouldn't say this isn't "real world" for 2 reasons ...

1. The "damage" which causes the image to degrade is a result of light and heat. Neither or which were any more drastic running 24/7 then 7 hours a day for "X" years. The lamp still dims at the same rate and the projector will warm up to max temperature at the same "total" heat temp.

For example, the projector has a thermal shut off at, say, 200 degrees. Regardless of how long you run it, it won't break 200 without shutting down.

2. There ARE some people out there that keep their projectors running 24/7. It may not be completely realistic for a HT environment. But then again, I didn't see that they tested the X1, Z1, Panny, TW100, etc.

I work in Tech Support, with repair right down the hall. I have seen some old LCD's coming in that DO look pretty poor in regards to image quality and color clarity that have been "run around the block" for a couple years.

I suppose this just somewhat solidifies that theory.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TI sponsors a test that says their DLP products are better than LCD products. I think you can trust the results about as far as you can throw TI's CEO.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I guess in that case we should've seen a similiar study done by, for example, Epson that says something exactly opposite, right?...

I mean, sure TI's findings are bias and subjective and perhaps even a bit skewed, but they have to be based on some degree of scientific truth if they were officially published.

Besides, TI has an obligation to their shareholders to do some damage control against the rainbow syndrome (that I think is blown out of proportion btw) This seemes like an easy way to put down the LCD technology.

DLP vs. LCD battle continues...

KS

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jac7
TI sponsors a test that says their DLP products are better than LCD products. I think you can trust the results about as far as you can throw TI's CEO.
With my sore back, I shouldn't be throwing anyone. :D

In any case, I guess my feelings are ... if TI ran the test in their basement, I would be leary. But, they sponsored the study at a highly accreditted college. I'd say, although possibly slightly biased, it is on the up-and-up. I do come from 9 years in the semiconductor field, working closely with TI (among others ... AMD, Intel, etc.) and have seen them release documentation and field testing results that are not always in their favor.

But then ... if I worked with TI for 9 years ... wouldn't that make MY opionion appear biased as well? :D

Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was on an offshore drlling rig a while back, that had a cinema with an OLD Sharp LCD projector. It was BIG and the pixels were HUGE. I had to sit about 5 screen widths back, and I could still see them on certain scenes.

Anyways, this projector was old and it runs constantly, practically 24/7/365 and the maintenance is ZERO, and it's been that way for years I'd imagine. Granted the picture was pretty crappy compared to my HS10, it was not shifted into the blue like these tests show. There were some hotspots, and the colors weren't accurate, but the blue channel was definately working.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My personal take is, the TI article has basically zero relevance for typical HT applications, although it might be somewhat relevant in high-lumen, heavy-duty professional / installation applications.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.