AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (ab)used the search to try to find if this question has been answered already. Please do point me to an existing answer if it exists.

I am looking to buy a 42-50ish inch TV that:

+ HDTV capable (1080i)

+ Excellent picture with analog sources (I use DirecTV)

- Stretch modes, line doubling, etc.

+ Works acceptably with TiVo recording

+ Very bright and large view angle (approaching Direct View - my girlfriend did not like the Pioneer CRT RPTV I chose initially)

+ Best Progressive scan and HDTV picture (I live in the Bay Area, and have a large number of OTA HDTV signals - I am using the Zenith SAT-HD520 - which is really the same box as the Sony HD200 from what I have read)

+ Works as a PC display if possible - completely secondary

I am considering Panasonic LCD RPTV, Samsung DLP RPTV, Sony Wega LCD TV. My budget was initially 2500 - I am now considering spening upto 3500 on this.

Specifically, the question I am trying to answer is:

What is the best HDTV that displays 4:3 standard DirecTV programming really well and is very bright with a wide view angle..

This is my first post. So please do advise if I should ask the question differently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think there are always trade offs. The set you are describing is the perfect set, don't know if it exists.

But on this board the leading favorites are the Samsung DLP's and the Sony Grand Wegas.

Best bet is find place where you can spend some time with the sets.

Cheers

mg

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
If the PC is low enough on your list I'd say Plasma first. (got to get the right Panasonic or Pioneer model though)

Next, if you have the inclination to tweak the set I'd go with the Samsung DLP. If not, then Sony GWII LCD.

IMO

Ken

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you go with plasma u will be stuck with 42" at ur price range, try here for some pricing info:

http://www.plasmatvshopper.com/

If your going to watch a lot of 4:3 material obviously burn in will be an issue with technolgies other than DLP and LCD. If your highest priority in PQ over burn-in (uneven pixel wear) take a close look at the 42" Panny plasma...

rhuala

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds like where I was a few months ago. I wanted about a 50" TV for my viewing distance, tastes, and will be watching Dish network (Non-HDTV) for some time yet with some progressive scan movies thrown in.

I was pretty sold on the new Sony Grand Wega XBR. My big items were no burn-in, wide (enough) viewing angle, HDI input, and PQ. I was reasoning that since the sony had no burn-in, I could watch native 4:3 for low res and enjoy full quality at high-res without going to stretch mode.

Until I took a second look with my wife. We looked at the Toshiba 50HDX and decided it had good (horizontal) viewing angles and great stretch modes, good smoothing on low res inputs, good PQ, and was $1600 less, plus we wouldn't need a stand. I got a great on-line deal, purchased a 5 year extended warranty, good cables, an excellent Panasonic progressive scan DVD and pocketed the rest! It looks great! But, check 'em out for yourself and meet your own values, which may differ from mine. I still think the Sony is nice, but I basically love a good value deal, and the Toshiba delivered it (for me).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Visit the plasma forum for a lot of info on that technology. I can't answer your question because there are indeed too many tradeoffs to make a clear answer obvious.

For that much $$$, I personally would buy the 480p Panasonic plasma and never look back. It is great with DVD and HDTV and surprisingly good with DirecTV's lousy signal.

That's my take.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RichBenn

Until I took a second look with my wife. We looked at the Toshiba 50HDX and decided it had good (horizontal) viewing angles and great stretch modes, good smoothing on low res inputs, good PQ, and was $1600 less, plus we wouldn't need a stand
How does the Picture Quality of CRT rear projection (I assume?) compare to the other technolgies mentioned (e.g. LCD, DLP)? Is there a significant difference?

Young

·
Registered
794 Posts
Judge for yourself, however, CRT is the generaly has the overall best picture. LCD, is crisper but black detail is lousy (blacks look gray'ish), New sets like the Sony GWII LCD improved but still not CRT quality. DLP looks ok, but has rainbow issue and some people get headaches from it. CRT for Picture Quality and price is the way go.. so why not get one? Because, it's not for everybody... the downsides are.

1. Screen burn in (as long as your carefull your fine)

2. Viewing angle isn't good

3. Calibration / setup ( every few months needs to be re-converged)

If you can get by these ... it's the way to go... If you want to just sit back and not worry about much.. and forgive a little PQ, LCD or DLP is the way.. Plasma is great.. but burn in, and it's expensive..

JUST MY Opinion... but if you read here.. and their are allot of smart people here.. that's what it comes down to..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input.. I think I will go with the 50XBR800. I have seen a lot of discussion about power buys etc. What is a power buy?

Anyone else buy this TV recently? If yes, could you share the price you paid and location pruchased (I am a Bay Area, CA resident)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.