AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I haven't been here that long, but something tells me that this might stir up some dust by asking this question, much the same you would at my old internet home on the AMD vs. Intel question.

However...

I'm looking to purchase my first front projection and I'm trying to decide between LCD and DLP. From what I've read so far, DLP seems to be the better choice except for the possible "rainbow effect".

Can I simply get some opinions on chosing one over the other? Benefits? Negatives? I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
107 Posts
Generally speaking...

LCD has higher brightness, more lens shift (allowing for more mounting options), and no RBE. However, it has a longer response time (semi-blurred movement), and some call the panels' life expectancy into question, as they are organic. Also, the Screen Door Effect is more pronounced than DLP.

DLP has better response time (realistically nonexistant), better blacks and is more widely available for home theater use. RBE is the wildcard. Some are more sensitive than others, and it can be obvious for some, invisible to others. However, if you sit far enough back from the screen (so that your eyes never refocus or scan the screen - a normal distance) and you get a fast enough color wheel, you should be fine. Less SDE than LCD, but still more than SXRD.

I chose DLP for my home theater use and it works great with my computer too.

Best of luck

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCI /forum/post/0

I know that I haven't been here that long, but something tells me that this might stir up some dust by asking this question, much the same you would at my old internet home on the AMD vs. Intel question.

However...

I'm looking to purchase my first front projection and I'm trying to decide between LCD and DLP. From what I've read so far, DLP seems to be the better choice except for the possible "rainbow effect".

Can I simply get some opinions on chosing one over the other? Benefits? Negatives? I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob

One technology your leaving out of the equation is LCOS. Sony uses this proprietary in some of their higher end projectors which is also used in Sony`s highly respected SXRD RPTV`s the XBR1 & XBR2 known for excellent PQ.

[Quote from Projector Central Review]:

[A widely recognized benefit of LCoS is the virtual elimination of pixel structure, and there is indeed no hint of pixel structure on the VW50. If you stare at the screen from just a few inches away, you can discern the presence of pixels, but they are absolutely invisible from any normal viewing distance.]

There is also NO rainbox effect with LCOS as found in DLP.

Of course this technology is not used in budget made projectors and one drawback if I remember is their is no horizontal lens shift capability using LCOS technology in the projectors. You just have to position the LCOS FP centered on your screen display.

You have alot of reading & research to do as most all of us did and your the one who will make the final decision with all the variables including your budget.

Regards & Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Search is your best friend. This has been beaten to death. There are good points on both camps, but DLP is best if you don't suffer RBE.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't take RBE for granted, along with dithering makes single chip color wheel DLP nice for wow factor but grows thin on those sensitive to these artifacts. Example, my wife with in 10 seconds of viewing a sharp z3000 said "is this DLP? I'm seeing rainbows and it's making my eyes strain and giving me a head ache." Head ache taken care of later
but anyway DLP is not for everyone. My first dlp was the NEC HT1000, awesome projector but threw rainbows everywhere. Lcos is nice but affordable ones had poor cr, now that's changing, thankfully. LCD sde is bad and annoying in bright scenes but at a good viewing distance not objectionable. And with panasonic's smooth screen, non existant. We'll have to wait for a version of the RS1 to come to the less than 3k forum, maybe the sony Amethyst!

Good luck, it has been fun trying all the technologies in my home still searching, RS1....maybe

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Run a search and do your best to see both in action.

Good luck!

Kyser

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.