AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading intently the threads around DLP and LCoS because in the sub-10K range (I exclude plasma for a lot of reasons) it seems they are the main competitors. I am assuming that LCoS will drift down into the DLP range as soon as there is some LCoS competitors.

My question is other than cost what is the main pluses and minuses between these two technologies? It appears to me that you are trading the possibility of "rainbows" on a single chip technology (DLP) vs convergence on a three color technology (LCoS). I am guessing somewhat on LCoS being a three color system just from what I have read. I have a ten year Sony RPTV and it seems to only converge in one small area so I am a little wary of convergence.

Are there any good discussions/references/links someone can recommend? Or do you have an opinion?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ptwat
I have been reading intently the threads around DLP and LCoS because in the sub-10K range (I exclude plasma for a lot of reasons) it seems they are the main competitors. I am assuming that LCoS will drift down into the DLP range as soon as there is some LCoS competitors.

My question is other than cost what is the main pluses and minuses between these two technologies? It appears to me that you are trading the possibility of "rainbows" on a single chip technology (DLP) vs convergence on a three color technology (LCoS). I am guessing somewhat on LCoS being a three color system just from what I have read. I have a ten year Sony RPTV and it seems to only converge in one small area so I am a little wary of convergence.

Are there any good discussions/references/links someone can recommend? Or do you have an opinion?

Thanks in advance!
Consensus from what I've read on this forum is that convergence is a non-issue for three chip systems such as the Toshiba LCoS (and for DLP in its high-end projector implementations). The chips are "socketed-in" to an assembly and not adjustable; any problem with convergence would be a manufacturing defect. This is entirely different from the way separate color beams are converged in a CRT-based system.

Primary disadvantages of LCoS at this point are price and maturity. Primary advantage is native 1920x1080 resolution.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Supposedly there's a single-chip LCoS coming along with 1280x720 that uses a spinning prism... not sure how it works.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
It appears to me that you are trading the possibility of "rainbows" on a single chip technology (DLP) vs convergence on a three color technology (LCoS).
While most discussion on this forum has been on the Sammy and Panny DLPs (single chip) and the Toshiba LCoS (three chip), both technologies are realisable in single chip or three chip versions. Philips is introducing a single chip LCoS this summer, so we'll know soon enough if there are any interesting "visual anomalies" ;) I imagine it is just a matter of time before we see a three chip RP DLP. If you are interested, you will find a lot more info on three chip DLPs in the front projector forums.

FWIW,

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you know of a retailer in the D.C. area that is displaying the Toshiba LCoS set? I went to a dealer in N.Va. that said that it can be ordered, but that they would not carry a floor model because they would not be able to sell a set so expensive that was only marginally better than the Samsung DLP. If the black levels are right, and the twinkling effect of the lenticular screen is not too bad, I would be interested in such a set, even if the improvement is merely "marginal."

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
ptwat:

Weight is another factor. The Toshiba 57" weighs in at about 300 lbs. while the Samsung 56" is under 100 lbs.

BIGmouthinDC:

Just saw a blurb somewhere else on Sony's new SXRD technology. Sounds very interesting. Wonder where it is going to start in price if Toshiba's 57" LCoS was just under $10K to start... I'm guessing we'll see something with this technology for the Xmas season but who knows?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
ptwat:

Weight is another factor. The Toshiba 57" weighs in at about 300 lbs. while the Samsung 56" is under 100 lbs.
That is interesting. I can't imagine that the LCoS chip weighs 200 lbs. There must be much more complicated optics and/or the front screen is a heavier glass and/or a heavier cabinet. I have read in some of the DLP posts that when the screen is removed the cabinet of a Samsung is a little "flimsy".

·
Registered
548 Posts
The front glass is a lot heavier than for instance the Samsung's plastic front screen. The cabinet as a result is much heavier, largely in part due to the need to balance that heavy front weight, etc. If you are just comparing the projection engine parts etc, my guess is that there wouldn't be huge descrepencies with regards to weight. In otherwords, the majority of the difference is in the cabinetry, that's all.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryI
I went to a dealer in N.Va. that said that it can be ordered, but that they would not carry a floor model because they would not be able to sell a set so expensive that was only marginally better than the Samsung DLP.
I think the dealer was covering for not being able to get the current model. I have read that they are no building any more until the next model is ready. Even it that isn't exactly right, they have been very hard to get so far. A few Tweaters have had them on display.

You might check the Toshiba LCoS thread. Those people will know what's up.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I'd like to see the LCos. The thing is, if you look at Plasma, some 40 inch models have a high definition picture that is very nearly as good as the 50 inch models, even though the native resolution of the 50 inch panel is vastly superior in theory. Apparently, there is more to getting the picture looking "right" than just pixel count.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
ptwat:

BIGmouthinDC:

Just saw a blurb somewhere else on Sony's new SXRD technology. Sounds very interesting. Wonder where it is going to start in price if Toshiba's 57" LCoS was just under $10K to start... I'm guessing we'll see something with this technology for the Xmas season but who knows?
Try $8000 on the Toshiba 57HLX82, not $10,000.

You will not be seeing the Sony SXRD technology by Xmas (you are in the RPTV section)...maybe FPTV might be out by then...that'll be first before the RP models.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Tom, more than just pixels? Impossible!

:)

In fact, I have preached the same thing a million times here over the past year. I am glad to see you have joined my cult of the insane.

:D :D :D

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.