AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on the credit card (well, about two weeks away) for the 50" Panny plasma. In my research, I'm hearing about DLP screens, Panasonic has a 52" DLP for about half the price of the plasma, the PT52DL52.

Is DLP a technology worth looking in to? Can anybody list pros & cons of DLP vs Plasma?

thanks

Veech

·
Registered
122 Posts
I waited for the mits 65010 for about nearly a year (I liked the 65000 but knew a new model with the next gen ti chipset was on its way). I loved how the DLP was a great computer monitor.

So when it finally became available, I started looking at what it would take to fit the 65" RPTV (dlp) into the cabinet space where my 50" rptv had been.

After some figuring, I decided I was going to spend a great deal of money reworking my cabinetry.

That led me to consider the plasma. Although I had to go down in size (to a 50") I was going to save perhaps 3 or 4,000 in cab costs.

Now I can't believe how lucky I was to make the move to plasma. I just can't describe the quality, brightness and DEPTH of the picture with a good source like DVD, let alone a HD source.

A few years down the road I don't believe there will be much besides plasma. The ergonomics and quality simply stomp all over every other technology.

See some of the threads here currently about Dell. I bought a 50" pioneer for $5,400. The 65" mits dlp I was looking at was $11k.

You gotta check it out Veech. Bob.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bob.. plasma still looks to be the way to go then, eh? But I had to check out DLP first. Yeah, I got a great quote on a Pioneer 50" plasma from Dell, so that's more than likely what I'll do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was really excited about DLP technology when I first read about it and searched high and low for a place to actually look at the technology. The first time I saw it was in a Yamaha front projector. It was a first interation of the technology and the "rainbow effect" was quite evident.

After much waiting and more searching, I finally found a store that had a new Samsung DLP rear projector next to a Pioneer 1000 (same as 503) plasma. I had heard that the "rainbow effect" was a non-issue with the Samsung, so again my excitement level was high. When I saw it, however, I was disappointed. The color was washed-out and the picture was soft. The plasma, on the other hand, had better black levels, vibrant colors, and a crisp picture. My wife felt the same way and wants a plasma. Who am I to argue with her?

Chris

·
Registered
640 Posts
You'd be looking mighty foolish if you did. Yesterday (December 5th) I was in a local Best Buy looking at their plasma displays (from 52" down to a 17" HD plasma (the smallest HD-capable set I've ever seen!) and a 13" non-HD plasma (the smallest plasma I'd even heard of, let alone seen with my own eyeballs)).

The plasmas were all getting their feeds from a single D-VHS VCR playing an HD loop (yes, I'm including the 13"). Not a bad picture on *any* plasma, from any typical TV-viewing angle (and they absolutely kicked the stuffing out of the DLP sets on display; even some of the CRTs got beat up rather badly).

What was shocking was the fall in pricing (in addition to the shrink in size). Plasms have fallen in price by half in less than a year. One particular 32" plasma (that was over $5,000 six months ago) is now $2,499 (and that isn't even a sale price). My surmission is that plasma production is catching up to CRT production (in ease of manufacturing, if not in sheep ubiquity); while HD-capable CRT prices have *also* fallen (32" HD-compliant CRT models have fallen below $1K), they have not fallen by the percentage that plasma prices have, and, apparently, plasma can be made *smaller* than a typical CRT in terms of HD (has anyone seen, or heard of for that matter, a sub-30" non-plasma HD display?).

The question begs is whether the CRT display's days are numbered for *anything* other than computers (I seriously expect plasma displays for computers to start pressuring LCD displays in terms of both size *and* price).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.