AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am facing a dilema. I am looking at buying either a DLP television (at least 55") or a plasma (probably 50").

I know plasma is supposed to have fabulous PQ, but has burn-in problems and is VERY expensive. I'd love a 60" plasma, but I simply can't spend over $10k.

I've seen the DLP 50" Sammy's at Best Buy and I think the PQ is GREAT, and there is no burn in p[roblem. But after reading this forum, I'm a bit worried about the rainbow, clay faces issue. I don't want to drop over $4k on a set be unhappy with it.

My current thoughts are that I'm leaning toward the dlp. I am thinking either the Samsung HLN617W or the HLN567W (to be available in June or July).

Would you folks who have the Sammy HLN's buy it again if you could start over? Thanks for any insights you can provide.

FYI - I have Directv and will upgrade to HD Directv when the HD Directivo's come out (hopefully this fall). I also plan to invest in a progressive scan DVD player and high quality cables.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Rainbows are an issue for at least some of the people who see them but not for those of us who don't. Dunno about clay faces. I have a Panasonic DLP, and I do not see "clay faces" as a matter of course. But I have seen such an effect on all sorts of displays with some digital satellite and cable transmissions. In those cases I think it is the result of excessive filtering of the luminance component (to minimize compression artifacts).

·
Registered
452 Posts
I considered plasma, but I ruled it out because of (a) cost, and (b) burn-in problems. (My usage is 50% as a computer monitor.) I decided on the Samsung HLN507W, and I just received it two days ago.

I can see the rainbow effect if I look for it (dart my eyes quickly back and forth on video content that contains white highlights on a dark background) but I never see it in normal viewing.

I see contouring effects occasionally (also called "color banding," and I think this is also the "clay faces" effect some are talking about). Some of this I believe is due to compression artifacts in the original DVDs, but some is from the TV.

So far, I don't regret my decision at all. The overall PQ is excellent, and it makes a great PC monitor. Last night I watched my first new (I hadn't seen it before) DVD all the way through ("Wag the Dog") and my wife and I were both very impressed by the superb realism and beauty of the scenes.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You would indeed have to spend alot of money on a plasma to get the same definition and image processing as the sammy DLP. However, plasmas will tend to have more vivid colors and a higher peak brightness, which is nice, especially if you're used to a tube TV. I think the DLP is more theatre-like.

Rainbows... well... I've never seen them and can't reproduce them with same scenarios others here mention.

Clay faces will be evident on most plasmas, imho... one good example is the new Sony 42" XBR plasma (aka nec 42mp4). Panasonics generally don't, and the only reasons seems to be that they have 10-bit luminosity so gradations are less perceptible (plus dithering -> imperceptible). I don't understand what "excessive filtering" (MDRiggs, above) could be going on that would reduce color precision or cause those gradations.

The clay faces varies quite a bit with your input quality- you'll never see it on an HD signal. One store had the sammy set up with composite input which definitely had color banding, but when I tried it with a good DVD player + svideo it was hard to see.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
darthemma:

I have had a 50" Samsung DLP for over four months and I have no regrets. If you have seen DLPs in showrooms and have not been bothered by rainbows, they chances are you won't be in the future. You should make sure others in your household don't find rainbows troublesome but only a few people find them overpowering. Many who can see rainbows simply tolerate them. You can determine this before you spend a cent.

As for "clay faces," this is a common problem for all DLPs but for the most part, it can be dealt with through proper calibration of your monitor. There will always be occasions when you see a clay face or two vecause this is inherent in the DLP technology (at least as delivered by single chip solutions) but I very rarely see them after tweaking my set.

I think (hope?) there may come a day when LCOS or plasma or something else will deliver an outstanding picture for less than $4K but right now, I can't think of anything that gives better bang for the buck than my DLP.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan

I think (hope?) there may come a day when LCOS or plasma or something else will deliver an outstanding picture for less than $4K but right now, I can't think of anything that gives better bang for the buck than my DLP.
How about my GWII-60 ;)

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by venm11
However, plasmas will tend to have more vivid colors and a higher peak brightness, which is nice, especially if you're used to a tube TV. I think the DLP is more theatre-like.
Are you sure about the peak brightness? One of the benefits of DLP is that you're not limited by phosphors the way your are with CRTs or plasmas. I would think DLPs would be capable of higher peak brightness. You also should be able to get a wider color gamut with DLP, again because you're not fighting phosphor limitations. Plasmas do generally look smoother to me and don't have the problem of brightness diminishing as you move off-axis.

Quote:
Clay faces will be evident on most plasmas, imho... one good example is the new Sony 42" XBR plasma (aka nec 42mp4). Panasonics generally don't, and the only reasons seems to be that they have 10-bit luminosity so gradations are less perceptible (plus dithering -> imperceptible). I don't understand what "excessive filtering" (MDRiggs, above) could be going on that would reduce color precision or cause those gradations.
Maybe we're talking about two different things. What I would describe as "clay faces" is something I've seen on all sorts of displays, including CRTs, with some compressed digital SD signals. To me, it looks like maybe the Y (luminance) component was pre-filtered to reduce its bandwidth and thus the difficulty of compressing it, at the expense of fine detail (sort of "flattening" the appearance of the image, especially noticeable on faces). But that's just speculation. Since most digital video sources (DVD, satellite) are 8-bit, I don't think 10-bit D/A in displays would make any difference with those signals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.