AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, DLP projects seem to have dropped a ton in price. They are costing just as much as a nice rear projection TV. What major advantages do these projects have over a rear projection tv. Thanks for any help.

------------------

========================

Fred Katz

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The obvious advantage is projectors can produce a much larger image. A projector is also more flexible and more mobile. A RPTV is fixed screen size, weights a ton, and often has to compromise the picture like stretching a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Fred - I owned a 46" RPTV for 9 years. About a year ago I got interested in front projection. I spend several months watching this forum carefully and waiting for the "perfect" projector. News flash - it does not exist. It will never exist. Something new and better is always just around the corner.

About a month ago I bought a used projector that is highly regarded on this forum,(Plus UP-1100). It is GREAT. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than a RPTV? Absolutely.

It is simply put the difference between "watching a movie on tv" vs "going to the movies".

My wife "puts up with" my audio-visual hobby. Since we got the projector, every night she says "can we watch another movie, this is fun". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Need I say more? Reed.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I had a Pioneer Elite Pro 60" I watched movies on for about the last 5 years. I could get my wife to watch only one in a great while. Since I bought the LT150 she is in there every time I put on a movie. She still won't admit it is better but she sure is watching.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Fred,

With front projection of adequate size you get away from the "watching a box" feeling that is present even on the very best RPTV's. Please understand the complications and expense of doing a front projection setup that is good enough to give you the feeling of a theater. It is ten times easier and at least 50% cheaper to plunk down one of the excellent RPTV's, hit the remote and watch the thing. I have a front projection system that I dearly love and that, if this were not a hobby, I would never put up with. The expense in time and money is on a level with other grownup hobbies like golf or fishing or boating. Unless you want to go to someone, some company, and pay for much more than the value of the system you receive, be ready to work at this hobby. Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.