AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody , I was just wondering whats the feel with everyone about these two Formats . I know the stores cannot keep DLP'S instock but when i see those rear proj LCD by sony they look awfully good too. ( seinfeld voice ) Whats the DEAL ?:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Around here, stores have trouble keeping the RP LCDs in stock as well; that's not just the DLPs having that problem.

Your best bet is to search around these threads since there are a ton of them about this exact issue, but I'll try to give a very short summary as I understand it:

1. Overall, similar picture quality.

2. LCD disadvantages: worse absolute black level, but not necessarily a big deal depending on your ambient lighting conditions. Pixel response times may be a bit slower, but I've never personally seen an artifact I attributed solely to this on modern TVs.

3. DLP disadvantages: temporal dithering, more moving parts internally. Some also see rainbows, and there is a problem which may be specific to Samsungs (and may be fixed already) where bright objects in one corner can be reflected to the other corner; it's only noticable in rare circumstances anyway. Some have reported headaches and motion sickness with these sets, but I don't know what the cause is. DLP sets also cost a little more.

4. Both have problems with the possibility of the "screen door effect", but this should not be a problem from a reasonable viewing distance. Both also may have issues with "stuck pixels", though the frequency of these problems is small, and it's hard to compare the relative frequency of them objectively. Stuck pixels also tend to be invisible from more than a couple feet away.

But: both look great.

·
Registered
394 Posts
As I along with many others on the AVS Forum have done much research into these new RPTV technogies - LCD, DLP, and LCoS, it seems to me that all are worth comparing yourself and reading more feedback from others who own these new tv's. With that said, I believe that as of right now, LCD and DLP are at the forefront and head-to-head (based on PQ, features, and price), with more and more competing brands and models coming out. LCoS may be the new leader to contend with in a couple of years, but so far, the cost is still close to the Plasma sets. So far, I am not a big fan of Philips; I believe it didn't get the best reviews, but I could be wrong.

I think LCoS may be a great technology, but most of the top 'players' in RPTV have chosen to build LCD and DLP sets (Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, Samsung, etc.). I think I read that the LCoS chips are still hard to come by and are very expensive, hence the higher costs to build and higher retail prices. While it's true all these technologies have their downsides, I think the manufacturers have done an excellent job to improve the LCD technology in particular to adapt for larger RPTV sets. The new LCD pictures are much brighter, much sharper (with no convergence needed), vivid colors, wider viewing angles, etc.

I have chosen to go with the new Sony GWIII (KF-60WE610) LCD RPTV based on the fact that it appears to offer the most bang for the buck. Initial impressions by most people who have seen these new sets are very promising. These new GWIII LCD RPTV's are competitively priced right along the DLP's and from early observations, seem to offer a slightly higher PQ from a broad range of inputs (HD, DVD, satellite, cable, etc.). Of course, as they say...it's in the eye of the beholder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.