AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 55" RPT when the new models are out in the fall or holding off for a year or two and getting a 55" DLP. I often watch tv with lights on, either as I exercise, eat, or read. Would the DLP be better under these lighting conditions? Does the DLP offer better viewing at angles that are directly in front of the set? Does the DLP offer better consistency of picture between the edges and center? Does the current limitation of the black level in DLP and apparent three-dimensionality of the images outweigh the advantages and is this a problem that is likely to be solved in the next generation of them?

I've seen one review of an expensive new DLP set that found its picture quality inferior to RPT's despite the higher price. Other articles seem to indicate it is the future of high-performance tv. Also are the costs production costs of DLP inherently higher or are their prices likely to fall sharply as production volumes increase?

·
Registered
842 Posts
DLPs:

I got a DLP front projector and the picture it produces makes me forget all about little sets. I have a 100" screen and this little projector hanging from the ceiling. Much easier to transport then a RPTV.

I had a Direct View set for years but in the last 2 years I did a lot of swaping. I went to a Sony 61HS10. This set is great for the money. Very functional and once calibrated it will make your jaw drop. I then went to a Sampo Direct view (don't even get me started on it) it has been kicked out for a NEC LT150. With the price drop of this projector recently it is just a bit more than a 61RPTV.

Colors are great and unlike my RPTV I am not retouching the convergance all the time. The HS10 has a function to compress the hight for anamorphic video and HDTV. The results are beautiful. However, changing the mode back and forth all the time makes the convergance drift.

You will be amazaed at how much space you can reclaim when you go to a screen on a while and a little projector. The big picture really draws you in! HD on these little digital projectors has to be seen!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. The comparison I am interested in is between the DLP Rear Projection sets and CRT RPTs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I always thought, eventually, plasma will end up the winner. However, it looks like DLP's will be the way to go.

Already looks like movie theaters will be going with 3 chip DLP's for better definition than film. You mentioned the gray scaling as the current hurdle that needs to be overcome. No doubt that problem will be resolved relatively quickly. Now whether that's one generation of sets or five, time will tell.

As far as price, I would guess mass production of the chips would drop the DLP prices very quickly. So, based on what I've read, if you can hold off as long as possible, DLP's will probably end up being very good and inexpensive.

On the other hand, there are some very good deals out there, right now, for RP's with nine inch guns. However, the viewing angle is limited with RP's while they are not with the DLP's.

I have not personally seen an RP DLP but have a couple FP's. They really are very, very good. Once they can handle 1080i natively, they will be the cream of the crop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.