AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sold my Mits HC6800, which I very much enjoyed, but the motion blur was getting to me - especially with sports. I started suffering from some 'eye fatigue', which was similar to what I had experienced with my Optoma HD73 a few years back. With that projector however, even though I didn't see rainbows, the eye strain was pretty bad. And I never really understood why.

I'm wondering now whether or not it may have been due to motion blur. Anyone have any insight into whether or not a DLP projector with Frame Interpolation, as with the Benq W1200, might solve the issue for me? Because I do love the DLP image.

Thanks!


Oh, and as a side note, I am very much a fan of Frame Interpolation!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN /forum/post/20856676


I recently sold my Mits HC6800, which I very much enjoyed, but the motion blur was getting to me - especially with sports. I started suffering from some 'eye fatigue', which was similar to what I had experienced with my Optoma HD73 a few years back. With that projector however, even though I didn't see rainbows, the eye strain was pretty bad. And I never really understood why.

I'm wondering now whether or not it may have been due to motion blur. Anyone have any insight into whether or not a DLP projector with Frame Interpolation, as with the Benq W1200, might solve the issue for me? Because I do love the DLP image.

Thanks!


Oh, and as a side note, I am very much a fan of Frame Interpolation!!

Most DLP's handle motion out of the box very well, the newer models have a faster color wheel at least 4x, and that might help. Hard to know what was causing the eyestrain but I don't think FI would help in that regard, but who knows. Most of the lower end units except for the Benq that you mentioned do not have FI, you have to go up to something like the infocus sp8602, which I think has it but I would have to double check. There are rumors of some new models coming out and some of them may also have FI in their offerings...we just have to wait and see what is going to be announced at cedia...I have the mits hc4000 and I hate motion smear, so far everything I throw at the mits looks great...as far as the motion goes...Godd Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
You may be RBE-sensitive without actually seeing rainbows. Eye fatigue and headaches are symptoms.


I too would like a DLP projector with FI... The Benq W1200 seems to be the right product for me, but I need to make sure it is quiet enough. I am a fan of frame interpolation, but not of fan noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not in any rush, and will definitely wait a few more weeks before buying, but I'd love to get back to a DLP unit!!

I did get a few mild headaches with that Optoma HD73 too, along with the eye strain, or maybe because of it.

I was hoping DLP pj's today might not exhibit whatever it was that was causing the eyestrain.

In most of the reviews I've read about the Benq W1200, it seems as though nobody noticed rainbows - would that possibly mean that any viewing concerns I might have had are a thing of the past now? Or will they always be there simply as a result of the technology?

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was definitely blur! It became very evident during the NHL playoffs. Any of the faster movements were just plain tough on the eyes. On my buddies Samsung LED tv with smooth motion - it was great!!

That's why I was hoping maybe something like the W1200 might work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN /forum/post/20861964


It was definitely blur! It became very evident during the NHL playoffs. Any of the faster movements were just plain tough on the eyes. On my buddies Samsung LED tv with smooth motion - it was great!!

That's why I was hoping maybe something like the W1200 might work.

But the LED display was so small any meaningfull comparison would be tough, I don't think you can totally dismiss running to much brightness as the cuplrit. I dunno, I suppose it could be motion blur, it is a way not common complaint that motion blur causes eye strain.


But there is a first for everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
How big is your screen?

How many hours are you watching?

Are other viewers complaining of similar symptoms?


I don't get fatigue/strain from watching sports on my 119" high power Dalite and I've watched 12 straight hours of football from a BenQ PE 7700. What I do see are some motion artifacts I believe that come from the source material. Now that I've switched to a DILA JVC HD350, I still see those motion artifacts on 1080i and 720p sources from Directv HD but see none of these on 1080p Blu-ray.


I am not familiar with the Mitsubishi 6800 LCD and how it handles the fast motion of sports over HD broadcasts. It seems like you have motion blur issues with both LCD and DLP technology in regards to sports. Maybe it's the video source. Could you be subconsciously looking for or expecting the blurring motion and thus concentrating to see it and causing the fatigue? I say this because you mention this when watching sports and that's broadcast in 720p over cable/dish and didn't mention watching movies. I've watched a few recent 3-D movies at the theater and I experienced eye strain, it may be because I was really looking for that 3-D image since I never experienced eye strain at a regular I-Max theater.


If you have a friend with a projector try watching some fast moving scene over and over on Blu-ray DVD and see if you notice the same problem. However, don't "actively look" for motion blur.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it's not fair to compare a 55" LED tv to a pj, but the FI effect on sports was pretty clear! I probably was noticing/seeing blur far more on my HC6800 after I had that chance to see a good FI implementation.

But, I don't think when going back to the pj I was 'trying' to notice motion blur.... Once it was there... it was there every time I watched.

As far as Blu Ray - it was noticeable as well, but then again the judder from 24fps was somewhat distracting regardless.

Am I crazy? Maybe I'm too sensitive to it on a big screen - I dunno. I'd still love to get back into the projector world, as there's no comparison when watching movies and sports!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMN /forum/post/20865369


I know it's not fair to compare a 55" LED tv to a pj, but the FI effect on sports was pretty clear! I probably was noticing/seeing blur far more on my HC6800 after I had that chance to see a good FI implementation.

But, I don't think when going back to the pj I was 'trying' to notice motion blur.... Once it was there... it was there every time I watched.

As far as Blu Ray - it was noticeable as well, but then again the judder from 24fps was somewhat distracting regardless.

Am I crazy? Maybe I'm too sensitive to it on a big screen - I dunno. I'd still love to get back into the projector world, as there's no comparison when watching movies and sports!

If you really want to get another projector, go to a high end home theater store and view some projectors for at least 20 mins to get a feel of how motion blur will affect you. You may have to buy a higher end projector to get satisfactory CI.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top