AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried to figure out OEM sources for xenon bulbs used in various DLP projectors? I hear talks about them costing in thousands - is it for the entire lamp assembly or for the lamp itself. I can't believe that xenon bulb could cost as much as a 9" CRT projection tube.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
BXA,

believe it. It is a combination of expensive manufacturing process and sizeable mark-up from the factory itself.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
bxa,

3 chip DLP's require specially designed Xenon bulbs (or at least mine does), so you are not going to find a cheap source for a specialty part. Bear in mind that higher end products always have higher costs for the consumer. They charge more because they can, particularly in the absence of competition.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bulbs are generic parts, one should be able to find manufacturer, part number, compatible replacements and pricing info. I am just curious about original bulb manufacturer(s) information. If bulb manufacturers sell it at a high price, then so be it.

Barco 1209 uses a standard TTL gate chip, that does not make it any more expensive to buy.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Bxa,

No. I also don't know if any of the CERMAX bulbs listed is the one I'm using, although the 500F is the most likely. Christie Digital tech support told me the bulb was designed for them. You need more than the bulb, by the way. It's encased in a plastic shield with an embedded metal heat sink. I wonder if ILC ships all of their bulbs with that enclosure. I have a new bulb and I'm not looking for another one, but by all means contact Perkin Elmer and see what you can find out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am aware that in most cases bulb is contained within a heat dissipating housing, sometimes including fans. However bulbs are separate products. It should be possible to reuse housing and put a new bulb in.

Having recently become a DLP projector owner, I am surprised that noone has explored possibility of getting bulb and stickin them into the housing. Once again, I don't believe that single bulb alone costs $1500 from manufacturer (assuming who he is and what the bulb part number is), but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi bxa,

I think maybe we are miscommunicating. Do you own a 3 chip DLP, or a single chip unit?

No single chip DLP's use Xenon bulbs.

Are you talking about putting a Xenon bulb in a single chip DLP? I know someone who did that. The colors were all screwed up.

If you are looking for a cheap source for the Xenon bulbs used in 3 chip DLP's, good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Cermax, Ushio, Osram, and others manufacture these lamps. One of the reasons no one has been successful in skirting the middlemen on these products is because the manufacturers are not interested in selling these high end lamps to anyone but OEM's (believe me, I tried to get one direct). They're not even interested in selling some of their metal halides to folks outside of the OEM world. The other key reason plain lamps are not sold, is the danger in handling them. To attempt to remove the lamp from it's heat sink housing and replace, is putting yourself at extreme risk of injury. On the superbright (12k) 3 chippers, we're required to wear protective face masks (looks like we're welding the lamp in) in the event of explosion. Hope that gives some insight.

Mike

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Larry - I am talking about 3 chip DLPs, not single.

Mike - it is just as dangerous to handle a CRT projection tube. Wearing safety protection is always a good idea. If the cost benefit is great when getting xenon bulbs directly from manufactureres, it should be no problem to find an electronics firm who would order a few for evaluation purposes. Some manufacturers indeed would only sell to businesses, but if one qualifies as one, there would be no problem. I had to deal with that situation many times in the past.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hi BXA,

Not trying to offend, but let me be more clear. It is the position of most (if not all, at present) of the lamp manufacturers to not sell to any biz that is not directly in pursuit of a lamp design for their proposed or existing PJ. This is largely due to the fact that the lamp makers play an integral role in the design of the lamp ballast and power supply (and even design it outright, in some cases). I tried diligently (as a legit biz, reselling PJ's and lamps) to secure a direct account with a couple different manufacturers and was promptly rebuffed for the above reasons. The other reason is because typically, these lamp manufacturers have signed non-disclosure/non-reseller contracts with said manufacturers for the simple reason that these same PJ manufacturers want to make money on the lamp. That's just good business and too darn bad for us looking to get "the good deal". With respect to the CRT vs lamp analogy, I would disagree, not that handling CRT's should be done with extreme care, but rather that they are equally fragile. IMHO these high end lamps are WAY more fragile, hence my caution for the idea of removing them from their heat sinks. All we do on CRT replacements is slide yokes off pretty thick and durable glass. However, I wish you luck in your endeavor and who knows, you might figure out a way to buy cheap and start selling to us, and make a fortune in the process. Good luck,

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.