AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a HDTV newb, but have been doing research for a long time on Plasmas and LCDs, but I know little about DLPs or SXRDs.

I bought a 42" Westinghouse LVM-42W2 1080P LCD TV/Monitor recently but am disappointed as it has vertical banding (uneven backlighting) that is noticeable in dark scenes, as well as motion blur with certain content, and the contrast ratio for dark scenes (black levels?) is less than impressive. Also SD content looked pretty poor.

I watch roughly 100 hours of TV a week, as well as play video games, and watch DVD movies (not HD-DVD or Blu-ray). Of the TV I watch, I'd say 65% is SD content and 35% HD content. When watching SD content, I prefer to have the vertical bars on the sides of the screen so the image is not distorted. I watch a lot of football and hockey, where a logo or score is always displayed somewhere on the screen for the 3 or so hours the game lasts. I also play video games where a health bar or HUD is situated in a constant area of the screen for the duration of the gaming session, which are usually no longer than 1-2 hours, but on rare occasions can reach around 4-5 hours.

Because of what I watch and play, Plasmas seem like the wrong choice as I'd constantly be worried about burn-in or image retention, which is why I went the LCD route initially. However, LCDs suffer from uneven backlighting and blurring.

So with all that being said:

1. It is my understanding that DLPs and SXRDs do not suffer from any of those problems (image retention, burn-in, uneven backlighting, or blurring), is that correct?

2. What problems do DLPs or SXRDs have? I've heard about the rainbow effect and screen door effect on DLPs, are these just a fact of life for DLP owners, do all models have this, how prevalent are these issues? What else do I need to be on the lookout for? I've only recently heard of SXRDs, so I have know idea what problems they have.

3. What are considered the top 3-5 models in the 42-50" range that I should consider (preferably under $1650)? I've searched online, but some of the reviews I read were 2-3 years old, and not very helpful. Reviews don't always tell the full story either. I'm just looking for a handful of highly regarded TV's that I can go to the local store to check out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1998 /forum/post/0

\\

2. What problems do DLPs or SXRDs have? I've heard about the rainbow effect and screen door effect on DLPs, are these just a fact of life for DLP owners, do all models have this, how prevalent are these issues? What else do I need to be on the lookout for? I've only recently heard of SXRDs, so I have know idea what problems they have.

Thanks in advance for the help.

DLP's do not have SDE since it is a rear projection there is no space between the pixels that looks like a screen door. That is one downfall of LCD TV's.

With DLP you will have to check if you are sensitive to the color wheel and rainbow's.

With SXRD some people are sensitive to SSE silk screen effect on bright white scenes. This is the sparkles you can sometimes see. I saw this on JVC but have not noticed it at all on my SXRD. Again is a sensitivity thing that you may not notice.

Some people report green blobs on some SXRD sets but I believe that to be a limited to some and indicates a set that should be exchanged.

Craig

·
Registered
108 Posts
Craig,

I recently purchased the 50a2000. I love the TV. I love the way it looks and all the features. Pq is amazing. The only problem is that I am having a lot of trouble with the SSE. It is really taking the enjoyment out of the TV. It is bothering me so bad that I am considering returning it. You said you have not had any issues with your SXRD. What settings are you using. Do you have the set dimmed? I use the CNET recomended settings for Blue Ray movies, and my own settings for HDTV via Cable. Will having it professionally colaborated help? I would hate to spend that kind of money, just to return the TV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Craig;

You mentioned that your budget is less than $1650, so, although the 50" 50A2000 SXRD is a great set, I'm not sure you will find one that low until later in the year when they are clearing this model out. But it is worth stretching your budget a little. If you can't stretch your budget then alternatives might be:

1) You should be OK with 720P DLP sets from Samsung like the 5086 that are in your size range and meet the price limit, but only if you don't see rainbows. (Note: Most people don't)

2) You can also find LCD instead of SXRD rear projection sets, that meet the price point. The Sony 50" LCD RP (50E2000 I think)should be priced low enough. They are not as nice looking as the 50A2000 SXRD, but still give a fairly good picture and the little LCD panels in them handle motion better than big flat screen LCDs. Most people won't be able to see the screen door effect at normal viewing distances.

Best thing is do what I did, spend a lot of time in different stores staring at TVs in different conditions and with different programming and go with what looks best to your own eyeballs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker /forum/post/0

>> I watch roughly 100 hours of TV a week

You should take up a new hobby. 14 hours a day of tv will turn your brain to mush.

Knew that was coming, but I'm more talking about how much the TV is on. I generally turn it on when I get home from work at 5, even if I don't watch it, and turn it off around 11, so 6 hours 5 nights a week for 30 hours. Then weekends, I turn it on when I wake up around 8AM, and sometimes I don't turn it off till 1 AM, again I don't watch it that whole time, but it can be on for that amount of time. So, it's possible it's on for 34 hours on the weekend. Hmmm........that's only 64 hours at the absolute max though....I guess I estimated pretty high, oops. A more realistic number is probably like 55 hours then.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggs /forum/post/0

Craig;

You mentioned that your budget is less than $1650, so, although the 50" 50A2000 SXRD is a great set, I'm not sure you will find one that low until later in the year when they are clearing this model out. But it is worth stretching your budget a little. If you can't stretch your budget then alternatives might be:

1) You should be OK with 720P DLP sets from Samsung like the 5086 that are in your size range and meet the price limit, but only if you don't see rainbows. (Note: Most people don't)

2) You can also find LCD instead of SXRD rear projection sets, that meet the price point. The Sony 50" LCD RP (50E2000 I think)should be priced low enough. They are not as nice looking as the 50A2000 SXRD, but still give a fairly good picture and the little LCD panels in them handle motion better than big flat screen LCDs. Most people won't be able to see the screen door effect at normal viewing distances.

Best thing is do what I did, spend a lot of time in different stores staring at TVs in different conditions and with different programming and go with what looks best to your own eyeballs.

Well I purchased my KDS55-A2000 for $1900 and the company I purchased mine from sells the 50" for $1750 so it is in the ballpark.

Craig

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adazzleman /forum/post/0

Craig,

I recently purchased the 50a2000. I love the TV. I love the way it looks and all the features. Pq is amazing. The only problem is that I am having a lot of trouble with the SSE. It is really taking the enjoyment out of the TV. It is bothering me so bad that I am considering returning it. You said you have not had any issues with your SXRD. What settings are you using. Do you have the set dimmed? I use the CNET recomended settings for Blue Ray movies, and my own settings for HDTV via Cable. Will having it professionally colaborated help? I would hate to spend that kind of money, just to return the TV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I set my set originally with the CNET guidelines and then purchased DVE and calibrated the set with that. I do have the brightness set fairly low as per DVE but have my standard setting is a little brighter for daytime viewing.

I sit anywhere from 9-15' away and it has never been a problem. I suspect it is like the dlp rainbows and some people notice it, some don't. Even when I really try to 'look' for it I have only noticed it on a few scenes during the last 6 months.

I doubt having it calibrated will help much as it will just make the colors/brightness more accurate not decrease the SSE. SSE comes from the high gain screen and the coherance of the light which shows the sparkles.

How close are you sitting, does it help to move back or turn down the brightness?

-Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.