AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these the ideal settings to use to output reference picture and sound from a Panasonic BD player?

Picture: Normal (many other options but I believe this is correct)

Progressive: Auto (other option is Video)

Chroma Process: Advanced (other options are Normal and Off)

Detail Clarity: Off (other options are 1-3)

High Clarity Sound: On (other option is Off)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I would be suspicious of that "high clarity sound." I haven't researched it, but it sounds like some sort of dialogue or high frequency boost.

I always use the normal pic setting; movie or cinema presets often change the gamma (usually raising it).

Progressive auto will normally only effect standard def deinterlacing, and I believe auto would be best in most situations. The only exception I saw to that was a couple years ago on a Denon upconverting player, where setting it to video made the Simpsons DVD look better.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B
I would be suspicious of that "high clarity sound." I haven't researched it, but it sounds like some sort of dialogue or high frequency boost.

I always use the normal pic setting; movie or cinema presets often change the gamma (usually raising it).

Progressive auto will normally only effect standard def deinterlacing, and I believe auto would be best in most situations. The only exception I saw to that was a couple years ago on a Denon upconverting player, where setting it to video made the Simpsons DVD look better.
On page 34 of the user manual, it shows that High Clarity Sound should only be enabled if you are directly connecting HDMI to a TV. If you are connecting via HDMI to an AVR that does the decoding, the recommended setting is Disabled.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bailey /forum/post/19589648

On page 34 of the user manual, it shows that High Clarity Sound should only be enabled if you are directly connecting HDMI to a TV. If you are connecting via HDMI to an AVR that does the decoding, the recommended setting is Disabled.

What if I'm sending PCM to the AVR?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/19590349

What if I'm sending PCM to the AVR?

Looks like if your sending any audio to the AVR, recommendation is to keep it disabled. Though it looks like enabling it will also turn off the analog video outputs.

Don't know if this is designed to keep jitter down or what. Though I can't detect any difference in the sound quality myself.

As for the OP settings above, I always use the User mode for the Picture settings.

Whatever mode you use, you're still calibrating to the source, so any other devices feeding video to your display may not look the same, especially when it comes to black level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.