AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have had this for a week and everything is coming together until yesterday. I rec some 13 year old footage from my VCR to the hard drive. Then I painfully added all my playlist and chapters but the playlist doesn't transfer to the DVD-Ram. Am I supposed to create them on the Ram also? Also,can I create chpters and playlists on DVD-R discs before I finalize it or do I have to create them while recording? I hope someone can clear this up. Thanks-Stan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm new to it too but what I did was record everything to the HD from my tape then using the divide button which you get by pushing the direct nav button, hilighting the movies you just transfered, right arrowing, than divide from the menu that comes up and go through and divide the program up into mini programs. Exit back and do the same as above but instead of divide I used title and named each new program. Then did same except this time I used shorten segment to do away with what I didn't want. Then I using dubbing from page 28 in book went through and told it to record all the new programs and recorded them. Before finalizing I had the chance to pick background see page 36 and then finalized everything. Sounds like it takes a lot of time and it did take me quite awhile first time around but I believe I could do it again in half the time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's the workflow I use for transfer my VHS tapes to DVD using my E-100.

1. Make sure the E-100 is set in "high speed compatibale mode". This is essential for high speed recording and turning markers into chapters. This only needs to be done once.

2. Set the recording speed of the E-100 appropriately. I use SP because the quality is very good and still allows 2 hours per DVD.

3. Press record on the E-100 and play on the VCR. Record the entire tape.

4. Use the E-100's DIVIDE feature to split the recording into separate programs as necessary.

5. Name the programs accordingly.

6. Use the E-100s SHORTEN SEGMENT feature to remove commercials, edit lead-ins, etc.

7. Insert MARKERS into programs as necessary. These will become chapter stops when DVD-R is finalized.

8. Create dubbing list and high speed dub programs to a DVD-R.

9. SET THUMBNAILS for each of the programs recorded to the DVD-R.

10. Use DISC SETTINGS to set the disc title and choose the top menu for the DVD-R.

11. Use DISC SETTINGS to FINALIZE the DVD-R.

Many of these steps are simalar for the E-80. Some steps are not applicable to DVD-RAM.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stanlee--

The E80 will always preserve chapter stops between multiple segments dubbed to a CD-R, and this is what Bigdog describes above. The advantage of this is that these chapters will be permanently shown on the DVD's playlist (the one called up via DVD main menu) on any DVD player on which you play your finalized DVD in years to come.

But there is also a way to put "internal" chapter stops into an individual segments. That is, sometimes I burn a DVD-R with only one item on the DVD's playlist, but I put lots of chapter stops inside this single segment.

Here's how to do this (apologies if fuzzy memory results in some slight mis-wording):

1. First, "internal" chapter stops will only be transferred if you use High Speed dubbing from HDD to CD-R. To preserve this option when you dub, you must have turned on "DVD-R compatible recording" in the settings menu before recording to HDD, and you must be trying to dub to CD-R at the same speed (XP, SP, etc) as the original HDD recording. You must also be dubbing individual shows (you cannot be dubbing from a Play List). Yell back if you need more guidance here.

2. While playing back the show you which to internally mark, hit the "Display" button on your remote, and scroll down to "Play" option, and observe the row of "empty" markers which are displayed as a row as asterisks. If you highlight an asterisk and hit enter, a marker will be put at the precise point of current playback and the asterisk will change to a 1, 2, 3 etc. This set of markers is global; that is you can jump around from program to program and assign markers, though obviously most of us will set them up sequentially in a single show. Or, to say the same thing a different way, if you assign markers 1 thru 8 in one program, you need to continue 9 and up for the next program you're marking. Markers will automatically be erased (revert to asterisk) when you delete a show which has been marked. You can also delete them one at a time by highlighting and hitting the clear key on the remote.

3. I think it's true that if you Don't put any internal markers in a show dubbed from HDD to CD-R then the dubbed CD-R uses "default" internal chapter stops every 5 minutes or so. And of course (per item 1 above), if you don't do High Speed Dubbing then all your hard work marking internal stops will be lost and the CD-R will revert to stops every five minutes or so.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The owner's manual was pretty awful, and I wouldn't have figured any of this out without help from this forum. But I now routinely make DVD-Rs with multiple programs on the disc's main menu, and perfectly placed internal chapter stops within each program. It's pretty cool!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does the E-80 lack a "marker" button on the remote? The E-100 allows the chapter marker insert via the remote. A little easier than than method desribed above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.