AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the DMR-E80H back in December, bought a stack of Fuji DVD-Rs from Best Buy and have recorded about 10 DVD succesfully so far. Then I recorded the Super Bowl to my HD, split it at the two hour mark, and then tried to burn the first half at high speed (SP). The dubbing went fine, but when I choose finalize, it almost immediately says it can't finalize the disc. I take the disc out and put it in my Sony DVD player and it actually can see the contents of the disc and play it, but it sounds like its grinding away a lot of the time and the audio drops out a lot. Any ideas?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Have you tried the process with 5 different dvd-r blanks or have you just tried to finalize the same disk 5 times ?

Others have reported issues with Fuji's and the E80.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just tried my 7th Fuji disc, and it fails too. I'm beginning to think that getting a Panasonic was a huge mistake. I'll go to Best Buy and get some Memorex DVD-Rs or another brand, and if they do the same thing, this piece of junk is going out the window.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
let me know where you live and which window it is going out of. I want to catch it ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Could be a bad batch of discs. Memorex is not your best bet. Get some Panasonic discs and see what happens. Fuji traditionally is one of the better brands, but they are made by humans. Could be the machine needs a service tweak...it was made by humanoids too, you know.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There are Fujis and then there are Fujis. Whats the media/mfr. code?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xortam
There are Fujis and then there are Fujis. Whats the media/mfr. code?
I'm assuming that when the OP referred to "a stack of Fuji" (from Best Buy) that he has Fuji-branded Ritek media. Although Panasonic burners and Ritek media have never been an ideal combination, 7 failed discs in a row makes me suspicious (on various fronts).

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've never seen a single store that carries Panasonic DVD-Rs. And the places online that carry them do so at insanely high prices.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld
I'm assuming that when the OP referred to "a stack of Fuji" (from Best Buy) that he has Fuji-branded Ritek media. ...
I assume so as well Jeff. I was mainly responding to John's comments about Fuji discs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skyehill
I've never seen a single store that carries Panasonic DVD-Rs. And the places online that carry them do so at insanely high prices.
Last time I was there, Sears had the Panasonic DVD-Rs. I can't remember the price.

TDKs seem to have a high success rate from what I gathered from personnel experience and from reading most of the threads on media problems.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got home with a pack of TDKs and the same thing happens. It burns my stuff correctly (in this case, the first half of the Super Bowl in SP at 1:58) but then when I try to finalize, it gets halfway and then throws up an ineptly translated phrase "Finalizing is failed". I then put it in my standalone Sony DVD player and it appears to play fine, except I get lots of audio dropouts and graphical anomalies. If I play it in the DVD burner, however, it plays fine.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I have used TDK and Sony in mine with no problem. If the unit is still under warranty, I would have it looked at.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
JUST FOR GIGGLES, try a FR @ 1:56 and see if it fails...

if I were to guess, I would think you are just on the ragged edge of the size that will fit (remember: TIME means nothing, Megabytes count).

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've also tried a DVD with 4 shows on it recorded at LP that came in at 3:30, and it exhibited the same problem. I'm at the point now where I'm going to unload this piece of junk.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
heaven forbid you might have a defective one and put the warranty to use?

I bid $10

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll just buy a new one from Circuit City, stick the bad one in the box and return it to the store for a refund.

Panasonic's customer support is beyond terrible. They told me to bring it to a authorized dealer, which there isn't one around me, so they told me to mail it in and I could expect it back within 2-3 months(!!!). Soured me on panasonic, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Alan
Could be a bad batch of discs. Memorex is not your best bet. Get some Panasonic discs and see what happens. Fuji traditionally is one of the better brands, but they are made by humans. Could be the machine needs a service tweak...it was made by humanoids too, you know.

Good luck.
Well I would hope Panny would work 100% of the time. But I think memorex would be a good 2nd bet. After paying more for the fuji big boys, I didn't get through the 10 pack without a coaster. I'm well through more then 1/2 my spindle of memorex and maybe had 2 coasters. I don't have the stats at my fingertips but yes, I will be keeping exact count cause I'm that anal :)

I guess the human thing does sorta come into play also so maybe some of every brand is good.

I just had a memorex not read when I put it in to burn, but just opened and closed the drawer 3 x and things were just hunky dory. So try try try again :) I've even had to let the machine cool down a bit but rescued a few disks this way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree that it sounds like a bad batch of disks. The first batch of disks that I bought were the Memorex 4X and I had zero failures with the entire spindle of 50. Since I was happy with the brand, I bought some more on sale but unfortunately they turned out to be the 2X instead. So far, two of the first three have failed to finalize with the error message. I can watch the entire program on the recorder unfinalized but not in any other player.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.