AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble using the search engine to locate past discussions of this new Panny recorder. Have there been any reviews or reports on this model?


My understanding is that this is the top-of-the-line unit for this year's releases--is this correct?


I'd be very interested in knowing:

- Differences/improvements over last year's models. For example, does it allow high-speed dub from DVD-R back to hard disk? Any other new features?

- Problems/issues noted with performance or implementation.


Thanks in advance,

Philip Brandes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Yowch. That hurts. I've only been able to read a little on the model one step up - DMR-E95HS - anyone comment on this one? I'm wondering how it compares to the Pioneer DMR-633 and in general. No double layer writing but I guess I could live with that one. Has a firewire in, looks like it has most of the features generally available, has some other smarter menu systems and chapter mark/insert button for playback, paging ability in the TVGOS, not sure if it does 16:9 properly. Did see something about a big bug a while back. What do we think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
All you need to know to eliminate this model is that it records 16:9 as 4:3 only.
Not true! I just bought this unit and am very happy with it. 16X9 DVD-RAM recordings are outstanding! I've already made lots of DVD's in 16x9 aspect ratio. And even though manual states that 16X9 is recorded in 4X3 for DVD-RW and -R, it effectively still records in 16X9 by 'squishing the 4X3 image which is then unstretched when played back for 16X9 display. Resulting image is still excellent 16X9 quality.


In fact, I'm having a problem finding how to actually record 16X9 programs in 4X3 to distribute to others. Manual states 16X9 material can be recorded in 4x3 by using either letterbox or 'pan & Scan". I've tried listing my display as 4X3 but that doesn't do it.


Anyone know how to actually record in 4x3 ( letterbox) for 16X9 material for this unit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Bayou. Do you happen to know if you can high speed (lossless) dub from a finalized DVD-R back to the hard disk? The earlier Pannys (like my E85H) force you to re-encode in a real-time dub.


Philip Brandes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,700 Posts
EH50 will only dub DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW (Video Mode) back to HDD in real time only. Only DVD-RAM/DVD-RW (VR mode) can be HIGH SPEED losslessly dubbed back to HDD.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou7
Not true! I just bought this unit and am very happy with it. 16X9 DVD-RAM recordings are outstanding! I've already made lots of DVD's in 16x9 aspect ratio. And even though manual states that 16X9 is recorded in 4X3 for DVD-RW and -R, it effectively still records in 16X9 by 'squishing the 4X3 image which is then unstretched when played back for 16X9 display. Resulting image is still excellent 16X9 quality.


In fact, I'm having a problem finding how to actually record 16X9 programs in 4X3 to distribute to others. Manual states 16X9 material can be recorded in 4x3 by using either letterbox or 'pan & Scan". I've tried listing my display as 4X3 but that doesn't do it.


Anyone know how to actually record in 4x3 ( letterbox) for 16X9 material for this unit?
Yes, it's recording 16:9 material, but in the 4X3 ratio. When it records it, it squishes it up. It plays back fine on your Widescreen because the TV stretches the squished picture. This is fine and how everyone done it on the E80H. The problem is you can't watch a picture that was recorded from a 16:9 source, in the 4:3 ratio, on a regular 4:3 TV unless you don't mind the squished look.;)


If the Panasonic would look for a 16:9 flag then insert a 16:9 flag on the content, the program would playback in the correct ratio on standard 4:3 TVs and 16:9 TVs. However as it is right now, your 16:9 ratio content will only appear correct on 16:9 ratio TVs.


So in essense, yes, it can record 16:9 content but in the 4:3 ratio just as the manual states.


Have a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Up
Yes, it's recording 16:9 material, but in the 4X3 ratio. When it records it, it squishes it up. It plays back fine on your Widescreen because the TV stretches the squished picture. This is fine and how everyone done it on the E80H. The problem is you can't watch a picture that was recorded from a 16:9 source, in the 4:3 ratio, on a regular 4:3 TV unless you don't mind the squished look.;)


If the Panasonic would look for a 16:9 flag then insert a 16:9 flag on the content, the program would playback in the correct ratio on standard 4:3 TVs and 16:9 TVs. However as it is right now, your 16:9 ratio content will only appear correct on 16:9 ratio TVs.


So in essense, yes, it can record 16:9 content but in the 4:3 ratio just as the manual states.


Have a good one.


BUT, the manual also states, as does the On Screen menu, that 16x9 content can be recorded in true 4x3 by choosing either "Letterbox" or "Pan and Scan", the only 2 ways that, say, DVD's show 16x9 ( or even 2.35,..) material. So, it would seem that the unit can also record 16x9 material for 4x3 viewing; I just haven't figured out how. Anyone successful in doing this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou7
Not true! I just bought this unit and am very happy with it. 16X9 DVD-RAM recordings are outstanding! I've already made lots of DVD's in 16x9 aspect ratio. And even though manual states that 16X9 is recorded in 4X3 for DVD-RW and -R, it effectively still records in 16X9 by 'squishing the 4X3 image which is then unstretched when played back for 16X9 display. Resulting image is still excellent 16X9 quality.


In fact, I'm having a problem finding how to actually record 16X9 programs in 4X3 to distribute to others. Manual states 16X9 material can be recorded in 4x3 by using either letterbox or 'pan & Scan". I've tried listing my display as 4X3 but that doesn't do it.


Anyone know how to actually record in 4x3 ( letterbox) for 16X9 material for this unit?
Hopefully what you say is true, and I have no reason not to believe you, but a post by gigaguy http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=398318&page=4 (post #115) states:


"Rondawg, as you may know by my numerous recent posts I am testing a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR STB, and so far, it's S-Video out to my Panny E80 does not provide full 16:9."


Perhaps the Panny E80 can not, but the Panny E50 can? Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg
Hopefully what you say is true, and I have no reason not to believe you, but a post by Gigabyte states:


"Rondawg, as you may know by my numerous recent posts I am testing a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR STB, and so far, it's S-Video out to my Panny E80 does not provide full 16:9."


Perhaps the Panny E80 can not, but the Panny E50 can? Thanks.
Many of the HD Set tops only output 'letterboxed' 4:3 ratio signals out of their S-Video and composite video outputs. So if that's the case with your box, you won't get anamorphic video.


The reason these boxes do this so that they are backward compatible with 4:3 sets and VCRs (None flagging DVD Recorders as the Panasonics).


Have a good one.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top