AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You can replace the hdd in the Panasonic hsd models, but there's a catch...

You can't install a larger drive than the one it came with. The embedded software will only use the specified amount of space on a larger drive, and you WILL NOT be able to exceed the pre-programmed amout. So, putting in a 120gb drive means the unit will ONLY use 80GB on it. Not one kilobyte more.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct /forum/post/14314335

Has anyone change the hdd in these units with the stock hdds??

Many people have changed the hard drives in their Panasonic DVD recorders. It is not difficult, and the machine detects the new drive, asks for a format and you are good to go. The only catch is, the drive you put in will format to the size of the original drive that came with the recorder. The hard drive size is a part of the firmware. This is of course assuming that the replacement is at least the size of the original or greater. Many people are running with larger drives than the recorder came with and have had no issues. I recommend a search of this forum for stories from people who have actually done it.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/14345551

Many people have changed the hard drives in their Panasonic DVD recorders. It is not difficult, and the machine detects the new drive, asks for a format and you are good to go. The only catch is, the drive you put in will format to the size of the original drive that came with the recorder. The hard drive size is a part of the firmware. This is of course assuming that the replacement is at least the size of the original or greater. Many people are running with larger drives than the recorder came with and have had no issues. I recommend a search of this forum for stories from people who have actually done it.

Do a search on the OP and you will see some interesting results in his past posts (example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post10615963 ). Suffice it to say he is no stranger to HDD replacements in Panny recorders and posted some interesting information regarding "pre-formatting" HDD's on EH55 and later generation Panny recorders implying that HDD replacement is more complicated than plug and go which contradicts the experiences of other forum members here. So I'm no really sure where he's coming from with this question.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI V WHAT I am asking if anyone besides me that have done this without any special formatting on these, ie eh 55 or eh75 only.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct /forum/post/14346289

HI V WHAT I am asking if anyone besides me that have done this without any special formatting on these, ie eh 55 or eh75 only.

I know another poster who had a problem with his EH50 HDD - he figured out a way to get the drive out of the EH50 and connect it to his computer where he could use a hex editor to cut and past the data from the EH50HDD to his computer's HDD and reconstruct the video file. I thought he had replaced the HDD he ripped out of the EH50, but he had not done so yet. So I can't remember anyone but you who has actually replaced the HDD in these later generation Panny recorders - but I still don't understand why they need to be specially preformatted now That was not the case with the earlier generation Panny's - on those machines you simply installed a new ATA HDD with similar specs (capacity, rotational speed, make, and model if possible) and the Panny box would automatically format the disc.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried doing that in eh55 and eh75 without preformat, and you end up with error code or hdd fail message, so putting hdd in a drive copying device, setting to copy 40% of first drive to second one ,then install the new drive in recorder, then and will format properly, i've got plenty of new hdds for my back-up for my eh55s and eh75s machines, PS THE drive copy device is $2000.00

1 - 8 of 8 Posts