AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the results of the DMR-EH75 users when burning to

DVD - or + DL Dual Layer Media.

The manual shows that you can't burn directly to DVD DL .

What is your experience burning from the HDD to DVD DL ?

Please list details such as Media Brand and what type

DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL

What speed it was rated at 2X 4X and what percentage was completed if the burn failed.

If possible please list your firmware version.

I would like to find out why someone would have success and some would fail.

I tried to burn from the HDD to DVD using

a Verbatim DVD-R DL Dual Layer 4X 8.5 GB Disc.

During the burn process the machine crashed .

I believe it was approx 50 % completed.

After restarting the EH75 and removing the Disc

using the Stop and Channel Up workaround

the front panel indicator still has the disc icon showing.

The unit still thinks there is a disc inserted even

when the drive is empty.

When I insert a known good disc the drive selector doesn't switch to the

DVD mode.

And the TV Onscreen Display box is blank.

Where normally there would be DVD-R or Divx displayed.

Trying to burn HDD TO DVD using a

Verbatim DVD-R DL Dual Layer 4X 8.5 GB Disc screwed up the DVD Drive.

Is there a procedure to reset the memory of the DVD Drive?

Please list your solutions details and results.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
While I'm no heavy user of DL media I've probably burned ~30 discs with little problems.

My first spindle was 8x +R DL Windata media. It was very poor and only 1/2 of the 10 spindle worked, even on my PC only 1/2 worked.

My next spindle was 2.4x Verbatim +R DL and knock on wood I've never had a coaster, I've probably burned ~20 with my EH-55(the same as your EH-75v less the VHS section).

The description of your machine thinking a DVD is inserted when none is, is a bad sign. It really sounds like your drive is now bad. You could try cleaning your drive spindle or a reset(with your DVDR powered up hold both channel UP and channel DOWN on the main unit for at least 5 seconds) note a reset will reset your defaults but won't effect anything on your HDD.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
In your earlier PM you mentioned a suspected irregularity with the DVD Drive. I was unable to visualize the part to which you referred.

The attached photo is an above view of a DVD Drive with the lid removed. The main parts seen in the photo are the laser assembly (mounted between the rods), the spindle assembly, including the rubber hub, and the central portion of the disc tray.

The disc tray positions the disc over the spindle (turntable), the spindle lifts the disc off the tray where the disc is clamped between the rubber hub and the guide wheel on the underside of the DVD Drive lid (not pictured). Then the motorized spindle spins the disc while the laser assembly reads, writes or finalizes the disc. The laser assembly moves along the rods, as necessary, during those actions.

Caution: Do not extend the disc tray with the DVD Drive lid removed. In the linked post (and the post following it) I've described the resulting complications and illustrated the remedial procedures necessary to reassemble the DVD Drive:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15745506

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Digado : Looking at your attached photo.

The part that I referred to as scored or grooved would be the rounded bottom portion of the laser assembly that is facing the spindle.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
If your drive is really bad I don't think it was the DL disc that killed it but it was just the final nail in the coffin. While it's possible DL media may be harder on a drive than SL media, our machines were designed to be able to burn DL media. You used about the best quality DL media you could have chosen so I wouldn't put the blame on the media brand.

Sounds like time for a call to Elgin Ill, or maybe just try sending it in with a note and requesting the $130/$140 flat rate repair. I don't think they'd turn your repair request down but you would be taking a bit of a gamble with shipping costs.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH75 /forum/post/19611324

The manual shows that you can't burn directly to DVD DL .

this is correct, you can only make a high speed copy to a DL blank. If you have a title on your HDD that you want to real-time copy to a DL disk, the recorder makes a temporary copy to the HDD in real-time, then high speed dubs THAT copy to the DL disk, then it deletes that temporary copy from the HDD.
Quote:

What is your experience burning from the HDD to DVD DL ?

I have used Verb +R DL disks with very good results. I think I have made a few hundred of these out of ~3000 disks total. I have also recently gotten some JVC Tayio-Yuden -R DL disks,and they work about the same. I see no real advantage to using one over the other. I'm not sure what the speed rating is on them, because they both take about the same amount of time, as in --they are SLOW!
Quote:

I would like to find out why someone would have success and some would fail.

These are DVDs, and some of them are not very well made. These days, very few are well made, so failures should be expected.
Quote:

I tried to burn from the HDD to DVD using a Verbatim DVD-R DL Dual Layer 4X 8.5 GB Disc. During the burn process the machine crashed .

You know what, I had the exact same thing happen to my EH55 when burning a Verb +R DL disk. Since the machine is designed for DL burning, I can't believe it's the disks. maybe DL disks put some extra strain on the DVD drives. It seems like a suspicious coincidence.
Quote:

the front panel indicator still has the disc icon showing. The unit still thinks there is a disc inserted even when the drive is empty.

My DVD drive was faulty, and Elgin replaced the entire drive and controller for the flat rate of $130. I hope this hasn't happened to your EH55. Does it make a series of five beep-type noises, the last one being lower in pitch than the others? That would, unfortunately, suggest a failed piece of hardware in the drive itself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it does make a number of clunking noises with the final clunk

at a lower pitch.

What is the latest on the Non Warranty Repair Flat Rate Service?

Is it still available at Elgin for $ 130.00 ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is correct, you can only make a high speed copy to a DL blank. If you have a title on your HDD that you want to real-time copy to a DL disk, the recorder makes a temporary copy to the HDD in real-time, then high speed dubs THAT copy to the DL disk, then it deletes that temporary copy from the HDD.

How much disk space is required in order to copy from HDD to DVD DL

in real time?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH75 /forum/post/19620966

How much disk space is required in order to copy from HDD to DVD DL

in real time?

Well, of course, it totally depends on the amount of content in your playlist. The max size of a DVD -/+ DL disk is under 8.5GB, so that would be the max size of the temporary file. Since the DVD recorder really doesn't list sizes in GB but in remaining time based on the current record quality mode (XP, SP, LP...) what that equates to depends on those variables. The NOMINAL max times for XP, SP, and LP are about 1:50, 3:45 or 7:30 (about). Many people use FR for these disks, so the time does not correspond to the times listed. That would mean the 8.5GB size is about all you can go by.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where are all the details for sending an out of warranty repair to Elgin?

Who do I make the check out to?

Which shipping service is recommended? USPS or UPS or Fedex?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:

.....During the burn process the machine crashed .

I believe it was approx 50 % completed.

After restarting the EH75 and removing the Disc

using the Stop and Channel Up workaround

the front panel indicator still has the disc icon showing.

The unit still thinks there is a disc inserted even

when the drive is empty.

When I insert a known good disc the drive selector doesn't switch to the

DVD mode.

And the TV Onscreen Display box is blank.

Where normally there would be DVD-R or Divx displayed.

Trying to burn HDD TO DVD using a

Verbatim DVD-R DL Dual Layer 4X 8.5 GB Disc screwed up the DVD Drive.

Is there a procedure to reset the memory of the DVD Drive?

Please list your solutions details and results.

FWIW

Shortly after getting my Panasonic DMREH75V, I had pretty much the same thing happen while recording to some DVD+R disc. Like you I tried some of the reset methods without success. I kept trying various things, including unplugging the unit for a day or so. Eventually, for whatever, unknown or unremembered, reason, the problem went away and my DMREH75V has worked flawlessly for the several years since.

The following are some other possible resets that you might try. I copied some of these from posts concerning other Panny DVR models but they may also work with the DMREH75V. Sorry but, I can’t remember if any of these worked for me or not.
  • Press both [dub] buttons and [eject].
  • With power Off, Press and hold [skip reverse] [Time Slip] [Eject] buttons on the units front for about 10 sec. Unit will go into Self Check Mode and then Display 'L1 TEST'. Now power off. Clock should be flashing 12:00. Turn power on and intial setup menu will be displayed on TV.
  • With the machine On, press and HOLD in the [power button ]on the unit (not the remote). Keep holding in until the machine completely turns off and you don't see the red clock symbol in the window. Once the machine is off, unplug the power cord and wait 10 minutes the plug back in. this procedure resets and deletes all special announcements and ads pulled into the TVGuide, but it's been known to fix other problems.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I called the Elgin Ill Service Number 1 847-468-5543

The answering machine requested my name and phone number

and the reason for the call.

It said it was the Panasonic Digital Service Center.

I left a message on Saturday December 11th and

Monday December 13th asking for information about the Flat Rate Service.

So far I haven't received a call back from them.

I wish there was an email address to send the info in order to receive

a shipping label for Out of Warranty repairs.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH75 /forum/post/19641233

I called the Elgin Ill Service Number 1 847-468-5543

The answering machine requested my name and phone number

and the reason for the call.

It said it was the Panasonic Digital Service Center.

I left a message on Saturday December 11th and

Monday December 13th asking for information about the Flat Rate Service.

So far I haven't received a call back from them.

I wish there was an email address to send the info in order to receive

a shipping label for Out of Warranty repairs.

Indybill's report of sending a DMR-EH55 to Elgin on 1 November 2010 might indicate the best approach to obtaining service through Elgin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybill /forum/post/19520592

I sent it back in on Nov. 1, 2010 with a letter explaining to please go through the whole thing and to take your time. On November 10th I called and spoke with Lisa again and she said they were waiting on parts. I didn't ask which parts as I assumed it would be another optical pickup. The machine arrived November 18th by UPS late PM so it was Friday the 19th before I could get it hooked up.

The enclosed receipt shows replacement of the ram digital pcb module, p/n RFKNEH55P, but under technician's comments says replaced drive and board...

Here is part of my earlier advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/14451738

Panasonic Service Center

410 B Airport Rd.

Elgin, IL 60123...

Out of warranty DVD recorders do not require a return authorization...

With your Panasonic recorder include a letter that briefly describes what the recorder is doing that it shouldn't be doing or not doing what it should be doing. That letter should clearly state that you want the $130 flat-rate repair and that you are enclosing the $130 payment. If you don't include payment be sure to provide daytime contact information...

for credit/debit card information after your DVD recorder has been received in Elgin...

Keep photocopies of all these documents and your check/money order...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally spoke to Lisa on the phone at the Elgin Service Center.

She told me they will only accept repairs that have been recalled

or from dealers.

She asked me if I was the owner of the unit.

She asked me if I was a dealer.

I asked her about indybill unit in November 2010.

She said they ended accepting new repairs a few months ago.

I asked her if there was another location to send it to.

She gave me the info for the Panasonic Customer Service Center facility in McAllen Texas.

She told me to call the McAllen Texas.

I saw in earlier posts

The McAllen Texas facility does not repair recorders;

the McAllen facility is for product exchanges for recent or

current EZ series models.

Can someone confirm this with recent info?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EH75
I finally spoke to Lisa on the phone at the Elgin Service Center.

She told me they will only accept repairs that have been recalled

or from dealers.

She asked me if I was the owner of the unit.

She asked me if I was a dealer.

I asked her about indybill unit in November 2010.

She said they ended accepting new repairs a few months ago.

I asked her if there was another location to send it to.

She gave me the info for the Panasonic Customer Service Center facility in McAllen Texas.

She told me to call the McAllen Texas.

I saw in earlier posts

The McAllen Texas facility does not repair recorders;

the McAllen facility is for product exchanges for recent or

current EZ series models.

Can someone confirm this with recent info?
The recent policy changes have made McAllen Texas the "gatekeeper," an expensive and time-consuming "wild goose chase."

I would suggest visiting your friendly Panasonic dealer, explain your situation to the manager and provide the Elgin contact information. Perhaps that manager might be able to help you. As to the flat-rate repair, that might or might not be available to, or through a Panasonic dealer. Either way there would be an incentive for a Panasonic dealer to build good will toward future purchases of Panasonic products. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If they have to send DVD Hard Drive Recorders from Mcallen Texas

to Elgin for Repair.

Then Elgin is still doing repairs, but not for public consumers.

I wonder what is the worst that would happen if send it to the Elgin

Illinois Service Center by paying my own shipping?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts