AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Panasonic DVDR flashes "Please Wait" as if it has been in "sleep mode" and when it wakes up, is on for only 30-45 seconds and then flashes "bye" and turns itself off. I have several programs saved to the HDD and it will FF and Reverse and a DVD will play but the unit shuts down as mentioned.

I love this unit because of the IR that will change the cable box and let me record multiple shows over different channels and downloads the cable TV listing.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any ideas on where to have it repaired?

Thanks,

CMS in MN

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSMN /forum/post/20878561

My Panasonic DVDR flashes "Please Wait" as if it has been in "sleep mode" and when it wakes up, is on for only 30-45 seconds and then flashes "bye" and turns itself off. I have several programs saved to the HDD and it will FF and Reverse and a DVD will play but the unit shuts down as mentioned.

I love this unit because of the IR that will change the cable box and let me record multiple shows over different channels and downloads the cable TV listing.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any ideas on where to have it repaired?

Thanks,

CMS in MN

"Please Wait" often indicates failing or failed capacitors on the power supply circuit board.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I have done the capacitor replacement on an older E85 unit. It was pretty easy for me, but I have a nice soldering station and I do know what I am doing when soldering. Some people without experience might find this challenging. I don't know what the inside of the EH75 is like. It might not be possible to tell if any capacitors have failed by inspection without some level of disassembly. You might check the local yellow pages for an electrician.

There is at least one thread about the issue here .

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/20885175

I have done the capacitor replacement on an older E85 unit. It was pretty easy for me, but I have a nice soldering station and I do know what I am doing when soldering. Some people without experience might find this challenging. I don't know what the inside of the EH75 is like. It might not be possible to tell if any capacitors have failed by inspection without some level of disassembly...

OK, that prompted me to take my DMR-EH75 out of it's box to take some photos. I still haven't set up and used my DMR-EH75.

Here are five photos, starting with the largest power supply capacitor, the one most likely to fail:

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
DigaDo, thanks for that information and the photos. It saved me the chore of doing the same with my EH75. Since it's working perfectly, I have little incentive to take to cover off except to help other members of this forum, like CMSMN, who has yet to reply to any responses to his original post, which was his first post ever.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Diga~ When did you get an EH75? Have I not been paying enough attention to this forum? Nice of you to take the time to open it up & post the pix. I was soooo asleep at the wheel when that thing came out new!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/20886680

Diga~ When did you get an EH75? Have I not been paying enough attention to this forum? Nice of you to take the time to open it up & post the pix. I was soooo asleep at the wheel when that thing came out new!

I bought the EH75 as a birthday present for myself back in March:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20148459

I didn't go into any detail at the time as I put it away without even setting it up and checking it out.

Today is the first time since March that I've handled the EH75.

Perhaps I'll set it up and configure it next month.

Lately I've been pretty busy with the Mercedes. Today I found out that that the "knockoff" wheels, as nice as they look from a distance, and the tires, have to be replaced. It's only money...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry you took offense that I didn't respond earlier. Don't recall seeing rules regarding response rates. And, I did search the Forum before posting.

Thanks to the folks who were kind enough to provide links with their responses as I clearly didn't find those threads when I was searching. Trying to disassemble the unit and find the failing capacitor is beyond my skills but I really appreciate your tutorial Church AV Guy and I learned a lot reading your post.

Closing my account.

CMSMN

·
Registered
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo
I bought the EH75 as a birthday present for myself back in March:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20148459

I didn't go into any detail at the time as I put it away without even setting it up and checking it out.

Today is the first time since March that I've handled the EH75.
Ah, OK. I was afraid I'd missed a thorough DigaDo report on the machine, which'd be very informative, given your extensive experience with so many other Pannies.

Who knows? I might come across a used-only-once EH75 in its original box at a garage sale or thrift store. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

Does anybody know if the VHS apparatus in that was Panasonic OEM, or were they farming it out to Funai already? (I have a Panny VCR from ca. 2000 that was a pretty nice unit, except for a head mistracking problem--plays back tapes made on it just fine.)

Quote:
Lately I've been pretty busy with the Mercedes. Today I found out that that the "knockoff" wheels, as nice as they look from a distance, and the tires, have to be replaced. It's only money...
Heh, I know the feeling. The factory wheel covers on my '97 Integra are looking a bit ratty....but I'm thinkin' I need to replace the starter and get new rubber on the rear wheels first. (Not, I'll admit, in the same coolness category or price range as a Merc....) Fortunately, I have a few backup HDD DVDRs in the closet, so I can probably bank on no expenses there for a while.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSMN
Sorry you took offense that I didn't respond earlier. Don't recall seeing rules regarding response rates. And, I did search the Forum before posting.

Thanks to the folks who were kind enough to provide links with their responses as I clearly didn't find those threads when I was searching. Trying to disassemble the unit and find the failing capacitor is beyond my skills but I really appreciate your tutorial Church AV Guy and I learned a lot reading your post.

Closing my account.

CMSMN
I'm sorry you are leaving. Please don't take my comment as me being offended, or as you being offensive. There are people who come here and post questions and then never return to read the replies. Since I never saw a follow up by you to your question, I was merely stating that you might be another of those. There are no rules requiring you to reply, it merely makes me wonder when no reples appear. There is no proof that you aren't reading the replies, but without a followup, there is no indication that you are either. I sincerely apologize for my remark.

You say that taking the unit apart to find the bad capacitors is "beyond your skills," but I can assue you that it is not as daunting a task as it would appear. Even if you aren't confident enough to try it yourself, there must be an electrical technician in your yellow pages, or at a Radio Shack store that would be able to do it. Panasonic should have a local service center that would be able to do capacitor replacement, though they would probably prefer to just do an expensice board replacement. That assumes the power supply board is still available, which it likely is not. The parts cost me less than $10 when I replaced the two bad capacitors in the DMR-E85 I fixed. Your EH75 is worth a lot, and replacing the capacitors is a trivial fix.

Well, I should remind myself that we are ASSUMING it's capacitors. It could be something else, but it does have the proper symptoms of bad capacitors.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1
Does anybody know if the VHS apparatus in that was Panasonic OEM, or were they farming it out to Funai already?
I don't know who made the mechanism, but I can tell you that I have been pretty impressed with the VHS playback and tape handling of my EH75. It's as good as any non-SVHS machine I have had, and I've had a lot of them.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1
Ah, OK. I was afraid I'd missed a thorough DigaDo report on the machine, which'd be very informative, given your extensive experience with so many other Pannies...

Does anybody know if the VHS apparatus in that was Panasonic OEM, or were they farming it out to Funai already? (I have a Panny VCR from ca. 2000 that was a pretty nice unit, except for a head mistracking problem--plays back tapes made on it just fine.)

... Heh, I know the feeling. The factory wheel covers on my '97 Integra are looking a bit ratty....but I'm thinkin' I need to replace the starter and get new rubber on the rear wheels first. (Not, I'll admit, in the same coolness category or price range as a Merc....) Fortunately, I have a few backup HDD DVDRs in the closet, so I can probably bank on no expenses there for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy
I don't know who made the mechanism, but I can tell you that I have been pretty impressed with the VHS playback and tape handling of my EH75. It's as good as any non-SVHS machine I have had, and I've had a lot of them.
The same, or nearly the same VHS mechanism has been used in Panasonic combo units from (at least) 2005 to the present day. It's my opinion that these VHS mechanisms are very good quality and quite durable in construction.

The VHS mechanisms used in Funai-built combo units from (at least) 2004 to the present day are, in my opinion, mediocre in quality and flimsy in construction.

The Merc has aftermarket chrome wheels (China?) that have some corrosion bubbles and flaking here and there--and the bead, even after taking a wire brush to them don't seal so well--so I need to add air regularly. Not good for an open road car!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct
THE VCR parts of these are used in the current ez models easy swap-out.
I've swapped VCR parts and whole VCR mechanisms among my Pannies.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm keeping mine going as a VCR, with a Magnavox 515 as the recorder. I was going to fix the Panny, but, given I didn't notice any problems with the Panny to Magnavox method, I decided to leave it as is. Next time I move my components around, I might take another look at fixing it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Quote:
The same, or nearly the same VHS mechanism has been used in Panasonic combo units from (at least) 2005 to the present day. It's my opinion that these VHS mechanisms are very good quality and quite durable in construction.

The VHS mechanisms used in Funai-built combo units from (at least) 2004 to the present day are, in my opinion, mediocre in quality and flimsy in construction.
Interesting. I have an EZ-47 sitting around somewhere. I should fire it up and check out the VHS section. My brother's gone through a couple of Sony VCR/DVD player combo units where the VHS side gave out after moderate use. Maybe an EZ-47 or '48 is the answer, albeit not rock-bottom cheap, for folks looking for their "last" VCR.

Quote:
The Merc has aftermarket chrome wheels (China?) that have some corrosion bubbles and flaking here and there--and the bead, even after taking a wire brush to them don't seal so well--so I need to add air regularly. Not good for an open road car!
Oh yeah, an '80s Merc--big, businesslike, manly, no-nonsense sedan--suh-weet! I had two wheels on a Triumph TR7 that went seriously low every 2 weeks, though I suspect the problem was the fancy, extra-cost, chromed steel valve stems. I ended up putting half a can of flat-tire fix in each, which seemed to fix the problem.....

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/20890706

Interesting. I have an EZ-47 sitting around somewhere. I should fire it up and check out the VHS section. My brother's gone through a couple of Sony VCR/DVD player combo units where the VHS side gave out after moderate use. Maybe an EZ-47 or '48 is the answer, albeit not rock-bottom cheap, for folks looking for their "last" VCR.

Oh yeah, an '80s Merc--big, businesslike, manly, no-nonsense sedan--suh-weet! I had two wheels on a Triumph TR7 that went seriously low every 2 weeks, though I suspect the problem was the fancy, extra-cost, chromed steel valve stems. I ended up putting half a can of flat-tire fix in each, which seemed to fix the problem.....

Thanks for the tip on the flat-tire fix.

I describe my DMR-EZ47 $25 purchase and repair/restoration in three posts, beginning here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18836371

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.