AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All and thanks in advance for any help.

I have the Panny DMR-ES10 and have just noticed that when I take the DVD's I record on it (recorded in various FR modes, usually 90 minutes per DVD but some recorded in standard 2 hour mode) and play them back on my Yamakawa DVD player that I get slight "pauses" every 30 seconds or so in the video.

I was hoping to use my new Panny to transfer from tape to DVD a number of old games of my family's favorite football team. I was going to record the game on DVD (pausing the recording to take out the commercials) and then duplicate them on my PC's DVD recorder.

However, when I tested the Panny recorded DVD on my other (albeit cheap) DVD player I noted this issue and I would hate to do a bunch of work duplicating dozens of discs only to discover that they all have playback issues for my family when they get the discs.

BTW, neither the Yamakawa nor the Panny have any playback issues on DVDs that I author on my PC even at the max data rate and using 2 pass VBR avialable in Vegas 5.

This also concerns me for the future since I was taking a lot of time to convert my Bablyon 5 movies and TV shows that I have recorded on VHS tape to DVD and I would hate to take all that time and then at some point in the future have to buy a new DVD player only to find playback issues of the discs I recordec via the ES10

Any suggestions about what I can do to resolve this "pause/stutter" issue?

thanks,

Ron B

·
Registered
227 Posts
My .02

I have read that some of the budget DVD players have issues with DVD's recorded at higher bit rates(i.e. less than 2 hours).

I have had the ES10 for about 2 weeks and have played back my recordings on a Panny RV31, a $40 Magnavox, and a laptop computer and i dont think i have had any play back issues. I do not use the FR mode unless my source is over 2 hours long because; I had read about combatibility issues with budget recorders/ I could tell no difference between the FR and 2 hour mode as far as quality

The 2 disc i did burn with FR at 2hrs 30 minutes seem fine and i dont think have any play back issues.

My blank media is TDK from BB

I will however check these disc closer when i get home tonight to make sure i am not having the same issue and just haven't realized it yet.

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is a possibility. The error rate recorded on the disc may be at the threshold level of the player's ability to cope. Other players don't have a problem. Probably the media is at fault. There are a lot of threads describing how some of the folks have put their burners and media to objective error detection testing. The disc plays OK on their player but the error rate is really high possibly higher than a less robust player can handle.

I would find some very good quality media, like TY and try that and get to a good combination of burner and media before you go to all the work you have planned.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbivs
Any suggestions about what I can do to resolve this "pause/stutter" issue?
Try a different brand of media if you haven't already. And use 4X discs unless you have a need for 8X. The best discs I've found for use in my Panasonic E75 have been 4X Verbatim (movie reel) discs and the 4X TY's, the later being the better buy. Memorex and Staples branded discs have been the worst.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have been using 8x RiData discs and have also tried some 8x Memorex and 16x Mertime brand all of which gave me the same consistent (every 30 seconds or so) "stuttering/pause" issue. I also tried recording using the standard 2 hour setting, instead of the FR, and that made no difference.

BTW, the media I was using was the same media I use for Data DVD recording.

I will get and try some 4x media and see if that resolves this issue.

thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbivs
Hi All and thanks in advance for any help.

I have the Panny DMR-ES10 and have just noticed that when I take the DVD's I record on it (recorded in various FR modes, usually 90 minutes per DVD but some recorded in standard 2 hour mode) and play them back on my Yamakawa DVD player that I get slight "pauses" every 30 seconds or so in the video.
I have the ES10 and have seen no such problems with a Sony player, a Panny player and a portable Toshiba player. All playback is fine -- and I mostly use FR.

I'd try a different player and see if you still get that problem. If so, your ES10 may be defective.

Phil

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Before you take the ES-10 back I would take the dvd's that you recorded to the store & see how they play on a bunch of other players because maybe the Yamakawa is defective or is just having a problem reading certain brands of discs & etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Phi,

I have found a work around for the time being so I can at least take the stuff I have already recorded and put them onto DVD's that the Yamakawa has no issues playing (and thus feel confident that my family will be able to play them also).

What I do is to transfer the VOB files onto my PC's hard drive. I then use DVD Lab to "demux" them which creates the separate mpeg2 video and ac3 audio files. I then use DVDA (I know how to author in DVDA but am not familar with doing that in DVD Lab yet) and make a "single movie" video DVD to which the only thing I do is to add chapter marks.

The DVD's burnt this way play just fine on both the Yamakawa and the Panny.

From this I conclude that there could be a "muxing" issue with the original Panny recorded DVDs that the 2 year old Yamakawa does not like for some reason.

Bill1313 -- I know that it is not a DVD brand issue since I have used 3 different brands and the Yamakawa has played multiple DVDs authored on my PC using these brands.

Thanks again,

Ron B

·
Banned
1,145 Posts
Try none Chinese made players and see how it fares. Also, try some good discs like Maxell. The brands you listed are all cheap and reported to have problems. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. This would hold true for your media and DVD player.;)

Good luck and hope you find a solution.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
948 Posts
rlbivs... why do you feel it necessary to demux and what exactly does it do to the files? What are the benefits? Any reencoding necessary?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My advice is to record in the SP mode only for anything over 60 minutes up to 125 minutes (XP for less), and I think that would solve your problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same problem, I believe it relates to the older dvd palyer I have. It plays back fine on the recorder and my friends samsung DVD, but my cheap Cyberhome freezes several times during playback. Time to buy a new dvd palyer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.