AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Panasonic DMR-EZ47VEB VCR/DVD has a couple of issues that are driving me up the wall.

1/ The unit was 'repaired' a years or so ago at the local Panasonic dealer. The problem had been that it 'died' and would not work at all.

When it came back it worked but has now got someone else's owners name and a PIN number that someone else has set. Obviously they have fitted the repaired internals from another machine.

I've been trying to get someway of resetting the thing but even the guy in the Panasonic shop couldn't give me an answer. Does anyone have any idea how to clear/reset the whole thing?

2/ The other day I was trying to format a DVD disk - it started OK but after a few minutes it came up with a message on the display reporting 'NO DISK'. Ever since then it will not read any disks or even acknowledge a disk is inserted. Why ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej101 /forum/post/18772911

My Panasonic DMR-EZ47VEB VCR/DVD has a couple of issues that are driving me up the wall.

1/ The unit was 'repaired' a years or so ago at the local Panasonic dealer. The problem had been that it 'died' and would not work at all.

When it came back it worked but has now got someone else's owners name and a PIN number that someone else has set. Obviously they have fitted the repaired internals from another machine.

I've been trying to get someway of resetting the thing but even the guy in the Panasonic shop couldn't give me an answer. Does anyone have any idea how to clear/reset the whole thing?

2/ The other day I was trying to format a DVD disk - it started OK but after a few minutes it came up with a message on the display reporting 'NO DISK'. Ever since then it will not read any disks or even acknowledge a disk is inserted. Why ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

The repair shop most likely fitted a used Digital PCB to your EZ47VEB without clearing the earlier PIN and/or resetting the playback "ratings."

The DMR-EZ47VEB Operating Instructions address the Owner PIN on page 64, the Child Lock on page 65 and the Playback Settings (Rating) on page 60. Unfortunately, the Operating Instructions do not seem to provide, at first glance, information as to clearing/resetting the PIN. (There is this brief note on page 79, “'Shipping Condition' was performed or the unit was in the delivery status. The auto setup was then started and interrupted. Do an auto setup again and let it continue right through to the end. The data is only saved after this has been completed." The "shipping condition" note on page 64 mentions that this reset does not clear the PIN.)

Perhaps more information may be had through "Contact Us" at the Panasonic UK Support website:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...854/index.html

The DMR-EZ47VEB Operating Instructions may also be downloaded from that Panasonic UK Support website.

There could be any number of causes for your "no disc" situation, several that may be related to difficulties with, or connections to/from, the laser assembly, the on-board controller PCB and the Digital PCB. Does the front panel display show any numbered "F" or "U" errors? Such error messages would indicate a more specific cause of problem(s). There might be other causes for your "no disc" situation most likely related to media quality/condition or the need for routine cleaning of the DVD Drive lens and rubber hub:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for the response.

I've been in touch with 'Contact us' at Panasonic and they tell me that the only way to clear the Owner ID and PIN is to take it to a repair centre. Weird, considering it's a repair centre that caused the problem. As far as the 'NO DISK ' is concerned - I have followed instruction to clean the laser lens - no effect. I did notice that the disk doesn't spin at all when one is inserted - is this a fault with the drive motor or is that also related to the laser sensing no disk?

Looks as though I'm going to have to take it back to Brown and Finchers. God help me.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej101 /forum/post/18786801

Hi and thanks for the response.

I've been in touch with 'Contact us' at Panasonic and they tell me that the only way to clear the Owner ID and PIN is to take it to a repair centre. Weird, considering it's a repair centre that caused the problem. As far as the 'NO DISK ' is concerned - I have followed instruction to clean the laser lens - no effect. I did notice that the disk doesn't spin at all when one is inserted - is this a fault with the drive motor or is that also related to the laser sensing no disk?

Looks as though I'm going to have to take it back to Brown and Finchers. God help me.

Thanks

If the lens is dirty or the laser assembly has failed the DVD Drive may make "clunking" "chugging" or "errrp" noises when there is an unsuccessful attempt to read a disc or when there is an unsuccessful attempt to determine if a disc is present. With the EZ series this functional problem is communicated between the DVD Drive's on-board controller PCB and the separate Digital PCB with the result that the DVD Drive does not fully "spin-up." With these conditions there is usually a U61 or U88 error that appears at the front panel display. The three DVD Drive motors seldom experience mechanical failures. One motor spins the hub/spindle assembly, another turns a shaft that causes the laser assembly to move along the guide rods and another operates the disc tray mechanism.

See the earlier link to the routine lens and rubber hub/spindle cleaning procedure.

The first photo shows a DMR-EZ17 VXY1961 DVD Drive with the disc tray removed to show interior details. The second photo shows the on-board DVD Drive controller PCB. The third photo shows the separate Digital PCB mounted beside the DVD Drive in a DMR-EZ17. In a DMR-EZ47 the Digital PCB is mounted on the sub-platform below the DVD Drive. (The photos depict US/Canadian models.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts