AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really excited about buying an HS2 but I have a few dumb questions. I plan on recording from my Directv dish to the hard drive a lot, how good will the quality be on long recording, such as 4 hours? I have a s-vhs recorder now but the picture quality on these type of programs is not that good. I record NASCAR races and would like to get the picture as close to the original broadcast as possible.

Also, will it record pay per view movies to dvd at good quality?

I'm chomping at the bit to buy one of these, but the hard drive recording picture quality is really imortant to me.

And finally, what are the best brand discs to use?

I find this forum to be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nozz
I'm really excited about buying an HS2 but I have a few dumb questions. I plan on recording from my Directv dish to the hard drive a lot, how good will the quality be on long recording, such as 4 hours? I have a s-vhs recorder now but the picture quality on these type of programs is not that good. I record NASCAR races and would like to get the picture as close to the original broadcast as possible.

Also, will it record pay per view movies to dvd at good quality?

I'm chomping at the bit to buy one of these, but the hard drive recording picture quality is really imortant to me.

And finally, what are the best brand discs to use?

I find this forum to be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!
I bought an HS2 unit a couple months ago and have been extremely pleased with it compared to the S-VHS recordings I formerly made for archiving my fav shows. I truly can barely tell any degradation from the original broadcast when recording in the highest XP quality setting (8.5 hours total time on the Hard Drive, 1 hour per DVD-RAM or DVD-R disc).

The standard SP mode (17 hours on HD, 2 hours per disc) does show a very few blockiness artifacts on fast scenes, but it's barely noticeable unless you concentrate and are fairly close to the screen. Both the SP and XP modes have the same DVD-quality resolution (720x480) but the XP uses a higher bit rate for better moving scenes display. When you get into the LP (4 hr/disc) and EP (6 hr/disc) modes the video rez gets cut in half or worse and I really don't like reverting back to their S-VHS and VHS quality levels, respectively.

If you stay below 2 hours and 20 minutes for transfer to a DVD-R or DVD-RAM disc, you'll get the SP's hi-rez quality when you use the FR mode (Flexible Recording) that lets you squeeze the selection to fit in a given time on DVD-R/RAM discs or to the hard drive. For 4 hours, you'd either need to split into two segments when you program the recording, and I'd strongly suggest that method for the boost in sound and video quality, or else shift over to the LP/EP modes at S-VHS/VHS quality. I prefer to use sequenced one or two hour segemnts in XP or SP mode for marathon days of show re-runs rather than use one big segment when you're going to dub over to discs.

I ALWAYS record in XP mode to the hard drive for later transfer to discs. With editing out commercials, one hour shows are 41 or 42 minutes and I fit 3 onto a single disc with great quality results in FR mode that gives the SP resolution at DVD quality. The HS2's tuner is really excellent compared to my other units as well as the video capture card on my PC. I use my PC's ATI all in wonder card to program up a week's worth of shows as a back-up to the HS2 just in case. I forgot to program the HS2 for two shows so far and the PC backup approach let me still catch the shows.

BTW, it's best to use Shorten Segment command on the hard drive Navigator menu to cut out commercials. You can use the CM key under the pull down lid on the remote to QUICKLY skip thru your videos to select the commercial segments to erase.

I've been using generic brand "Lead Data" discs in spndiles of 50 at 93 cents each after shipping from dvdroutlet.com. I've burned about 50 on both my HS2 and my PC's DVD-R burner without any problems at all. The HS2 discs have played in several of my friends' consumer DVD players, although my PC burned ones don't play in a couple of old 1st generation Toshiba players. I use slimline CD-jewel cases to store them in and some Fellowe's MediaFace2 software to make color labels for the slimline cases (25 cents per label and less than 20 cents each in bulk for the cd cases).

I hope that all helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes the Lead Data disks work great. I have used 20 of them without any problems. Word to the wise - Stay away from Memorex DVD-R. I have had many problems with them using two different recorders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.