Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a DMR-HS2 for a few weeks and am most decididly still on the

learning curve.

My question involves making DVD copies of old VHS tapes. Is the best method to record them to HDD at XP and then crank them back out to DVD-R? Does it matter what setting you crank them out at? I would love to put 6 hours of material on the DVDs but at what point do you get noticeable breakdowns in quality.

I have made a few crappy DVDs so far, but I attribute it to the fact that I have recorded to HDD at LP and EP.

What does a DVD that went to HDD at XP and then back to DVD-R at LP look like?

Any help is appreciated.

[email protected]

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've been dubbing my VHS collection to the HDD at XP and from there to DVD-R at SP. I don't see much difference between XP and SP but there is a quality drop going down to LP. That said, to me, the resulting DVD-R actually looks better than the source tape. Probably because of the progressive scan output but whatever the reason it is a nice surprise.

·
Registered
826 Posts
No disc I've burned below SP level has ever looked good on a big screen TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to know there is nothing wrong with my unit. Upsetting to know that I will have to buy a BUNCH more DVD-R's to get things on at SP.

Oh well, such is life.....Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why not burn them to DVD-R at SP directly? This way you cut out the extra processing required when dubbing from HDD to DVD and also you save a heap of time by copying direct to disc.

If you only wish to play the DVD-R's on the HS2 then leave them 'unfinalised' - that way you can add track markers at any point rather than have the HS2 write them every 5 mins

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.