AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the other DMR-HS2 owners setting their video menus (page 52 of the manual)? I've been going with the factory set defaults. Has anyone changed the settings and did they make a difference in recording & playback? So far, I've been using my DMR-HS2 to record from Turner Classic Movies, Fox Movie Channel, History Channel & Discovery-Wings using composite inputs direct from the cable box. The shorten segment editing & play list features work like charms. Now, I'm ready to start transferring my laser disc & VHS library but I'd like to get the best possible picture from these sources. MY LD player is the venerable Pioneer DVL-700, the VCR is a JVC S-VHS. Any suggestions? Is there a definitive answer on S-Video vs. composite inputs? Please be specific on how you've set picture, MPEG-NR, Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, Gamma, 3D NR, Block NR, Mosquito NR. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Use the composite input for all of those items listed, even LD. The HS2 has a 3D y/c filter that is superior to any of those. That'll give you the best results.

Quote:
Please be specific on how you've set picture, MPEG-NR, Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness, Color, Gamma, 3D NR, Block NR, Mosquito NR. Thanks...
Those settings are for Playback ONLY.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'd use S-Video for DirecTv since its broadcast as component video so Y & C (luma/chroma) are seperate, unlike vcr or ota. Not sure about C Band, is it analog or digital?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have been using S-video for Directv. C-Band (4DTV) is both analog and digital. I use composite-video for the analog channels and S-video for the digitals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.