AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the DMRE-80 tonight. Loving it. ;)

Question:

Is there any way to make your own chapter stops? Does that have anything to do with "scenes?"

·
Banned
716 Posts
There is a button on the remote called "Marker" - simply cue to the scene where you'd like a chapter to start and hit that button. This starts the beginning of a chapter, or scene if you prefer. On playback, if you hit PREV or NEXT, your player will jump to the closest mark. BE CERTAIN to turn DVD-R Compatibility to "ON" and to use High Speed when dubbing to DVD-R or RAM! Otherwise your markers that you spent so much time entering will be lost. Ok?

The trouble with the above method is that you can't name the markers or, as some would like, add thumbnails.

I have begun to use an alternate method to the above. Instead of inserting markers, I divide the program into titles using the DIVIDE process. Each title can be named. Dub all titles for a given program onto DVD-R (be careful that they're in order!). All title names will now appear on the menu - you understand that they're really chapter or scene names. On playback, your player will play through all titles seamlessly, and your PREV and NEXT buttons will skip through the titles just like they were chapter marks. Selecting the menu button allows to you pick a scene to begin play.

The downside to this method is that searches stop at the beginning or end of a title and time elapsed and time remaining are that of the the current title only and not the entire program. I consider this a small loss.

Try it - maybe you'll like it.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan,

Thanks SO much for the info! I picked up the E80 last night for $520 at PC Richards and I was still playing with it. I returned the HS2 a while back for the black level problem and I'm glad they got it fixed this time :)

In any case...

As far as splitting into different segments, I was wondering if it was TRULY seamless. I was thinking i might do this with some concerts I have and was wondering if there would be any sort of pause to the disc when I split them.

Thanks very much again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alan halvorson
BE CERTAIN to turn DVD-R Compatibility to "ON" and to use High Speed when dubbing to DVD-R or RAM! Otherwise your markers that you spent so much time entering will be lost. Ok?
My E100 manual reads: "Markers are cleared when you finalize DVD-R." Is the above a workaround? If so, what if I don't want to do high speed dubbing (to ensure compatibility)? Is there another way to retain markers in DVD-R (other than your divide segments suggestion)?

·
Banned
716 Posts
randall: I read that in the manual also. Markers are not cleared after dubbing to DVD-R using high speed dubbing. I haven't tried any other speed. You may dub as many DVD-R's as you'd like and your markers will still be retained. To be a little more clear, DVD-R Compatibility must be set to "ON" before copying to HDD.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alan halvorson
To be a little more clear, DVD-R Compatibility must be set to "ON" before copying to HDD.
Thanks Alan. One more newbie Q: How do you turn on DVD-R Compatibility? While a few others have mentioned this function, you help out further by pointing out it should be turned on in the original recording to the HDD rather than in the second step dubbing to DVD. (Per above, I've tried to read the manual closely -- even if it's wrong, but I haven't run across this topic yet.)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I believe its a setup menu item and you need to have it set to "on" before you record to the HDD (i.e., the source program needs to be recorded to the HDD in DVD-R compatibility mode for you to be able to dub in high speed mode) .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by randall
Thanks Alan. One more newbie Q: How do you turn on DVD-R Compatibility? While a few others have mentioned this function, you help out further by pointing out it should be turned on in the original recording to the HDD rather than in the second step dubbing to DVD. (Per above, I've tried to read the manual closely -- even if it's wrong, but I haven't run across this topic yet.)
Randall,

AFAIK from what I've read here, the "DVD-R Compatibility" mode as on the E80 has been re-labelled "DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode" on the E100. I have the E100, and the sequence to turn it on is:

Setup --> Disc --> DVD-R Rec for High Speed mode --> On

I hope this helps a little.

duwdu

·
Registered
277 Posts
duwdu,

After I go to set up to put high speed mode on, it doesn't stay on after you power down. Any suggestions? I have the E100.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Don't be insulted, but are you sure you pressed "enter" after selecting this mode? If you just arrow down to highlight it and hit "return" the setting isn't actually changed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoffo
Don't be insulted, but are you sure you pressed "enter" after selecting this mode? If you just arrow down to highlight it and hit "return" the setting isn't actually changed.
Agree.

duwdu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.