AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance if this is posted to the wrong location in the forums.

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a fixed DNP Supernova screen in a 16:9 aspect ratio, with a 92" diagonal... but just can't find anyone who can actually sell me one! I know this sounds silly, but I've talked to DNP, they've handed me off to their west coast distributor, who in turn has said they only sell to installers, etc and have not referred me to anyone!

So: Does anyone here know of a wholesaler or installer in the SF Bay area, with whom I could negotiate the purchase of a 92" fixed DNP Supernova screen?

Feel free to respond on thread or via PM, if you have info.

Cheers and Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! I'm in contact with Integrity home theater... they're quite helpful.

I have a (damaged) Sony Chromavue screen right now. Although I'm in the process of returning it, I've been able to compare it to the Stewart Firehawk. For medium and low light, the firehawk is has slightly brighter black levels and is slightly lower gain. On the other hand, it has little or no hot-spotting and has a wider view angle. For bright lighting (indirect daylight, all lights on at night) the Chromavue is clearly superior. Both the Firehawk and the Chromavue are much better than a white reference card, under all circumstances except total darkness.

I haven't been able to compare either the Firehawk or Chromavue directly with the DNP supernova. The very helpful person from Integrity home theater claims that the Supernova handles ambient light about as well as the Chromavue but has less hotspotting, broader view angle and less color distortion.

All three products (Firehawk, Chromavue, Supernova) are in roughly the same price range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another follow-up here. Please bear in mind that I'm not an AV expert; these are just my impressions.

The good folks at Integrity were kind enough to loan me a DNP Supernova test screen, which has a sample of the screen material side by side with a reference white material. Since I also have a swatch of the Firehawk G3 material and until recently had a (damaged) Sony Chromavue, I'm able to compare these three materials quite directly. In short:

Sony Chromavue: Great handling of ambient light, great black levels, great brightness, narrow view angle, some hotspotting, some color distortion.

DNP Supernova : Good handling of ambient light, good black levels, good brightness, OK view angle, no hotspotting, no color distortion

Stewart Firehawk G3: OK handling of ambient light, good black levels, good brightness, great view angle, no hotspotting, no color distortion

Blackout cloth: terrible handling of ambient light, bad black levels, OK brightness, great view angle, no hotspotting, no color distortion

The Supernova's handling of ambient light was highly dependent on the angle at which the light hit the screen relative to the viewing area and the projector. So for example, with my ceiling lights on and one of the halogen lights pointing at the Supernova at half power, the Supernova was actually worse than the Firehawk and worse than the reference white! In the morning, with indirect sunlight coming in through the picture window behind my sofa, the Supernova was only marginally better than the Firehawk. However, in the evening, when I turned off the overhead lights and turned on lights that were to the side of the viewing area, it looked much better than the Firehawk.

In comparison, the Chromavue performed well under all these circumstances, and outperformed both the Firehawk and the Supernova in terms of handling ambient light. That said, it only comes in smaller sizes, is harder to get a hold of and has the problems I mention above.

As an aside, the folks from XFS screens contacted me, claiming that their screen material is "every bit as good the Stewart Firehawk and Sony Chromaview in overall performance", and sent me a test swatch. While their material has markedly better brightness than a reference white screen, its black levels and handling of ambient light weren't in the same ballpark as the Supernova, Firehawk or Chromavue and were not better than reference white.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I've found little information about the Supernova. Does anyone know what the MSRP is for the Supernova and Supernova flex? I was thinking of possibly a 92" or 100" screen.

This screen is just about impossible to find in showrooms...

I wonder if AV Science in Rochester has them in their showroom....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Randman,

They have a new webpage:
http://www.supernovascreen.com/

I have written to them for material and I finally got an answer

They sent be some brochures and a letter, unfortunately no prices or material sample.

They said I should visit them in Karlsunde Denmark. I live in Copenhagen, but haven't had time to go to Karlsunde yet. If I go I will post some pics.

I'm interested in the 92" 16x9 flex screen, I might be able to help you get some prices, so is you like send me a PM, and I will give them a call.

Cheers!

Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.