AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Today is the day I got my first CRT!!!

I just traded a local man my NHT 2.5i (used retail about $700ish) speakers for his 1271q projector. The projector is missing some screws, but the tubes are minty fresh--about 650 hours on them!!

He seems to have Parkinson's disease and can't mess around with CRTs anymore--He has an X1 now, he commented that the 1271q was superior to his X1, and he only feed the CRT S-video!

Initial impression: The think is freaking huge!! Wow I knew these things were big, but I did realize they where THIS big!! I wounder what my roommates think about this one!

I guess I have to start going though the manual and getting this thing all setup, and I also have to rearrange the living room somehow to make room for this beast! All that and I have 4 tests in the next week and a half!!!

Thank you CRT Forum, I am now one of your elite members!:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Cool!! You will love it! Just don't touch the screens pots (right next to the focus pots) or the blue focus pot. And it's not as though you'll really F things up if you do, although you could if you crank the screens, but that you really want to go through the entire mechanical setup first.

There are tons of posts on here for the 127x line of PJs. A good mechanical setup, where the rasters are centered on the tubes and the pj is squared to the screen will lead to better and more stable alignment and convergence.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Yep, they are big but what do you expect for an 8" projector.

I have had my 1271 for almost 4 years now and can help you if you run into trouble.

-Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

I'm a happy new owner also of one of these monoliths...

Having trouble trying to locate a full service manual on the unit (the pdf I found only includes section 4 and the user manual seems complete.

The remote I have also does not appear to function, the only thing I can activate is the display light.

However, what a machine!

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
scroll,

The control panel inside the projector (looks like a remote) can be used with a cable. If you leave the cable plugged into the on board controller.. the IR remote doesn't work.

Betcha a nickel that's what you got going on there.

I have sections 2 and 4 of the service manual. One of the missing sections is nearly identical to the installation manual and perhaps that's why it's ommitted. Another has the schematics and I think all the pages fold out crazy big and it may have been hard to make a PDF of that.

I do think I have a PDF of the full service manual but it isn't the same quality as the other scans.

Edit- I do have a full version pdf and upon looking again it seems to be pretty good quality but it's 24 MB zipped and 34MB in pdf form... So, me being on dailup, I don't know how I could get it to you.

-Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks brian for the suggestions on the remote...

I have been using the inbuilt remote. I did notice that it was hard wired (via a small pcb connector)into the machine through the battery compartment. Do you mean that this needs to be removed beforw the IR remote works?

Thanks for the service manual find, but maybe there will be a web page containing the full version somewhere...

ps... also can't seem to work out which controls allow for the adjustment of the raster...I'm getting confused between RGB size/shift, and zone settings.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Scroll,

No, the little cable you're refering to isn't what I meant. I was refering to a headphone exention cable that lets you take the on board remote right up to the screen.

Sorry but I don't have time to go into Shift, RGB Size, vs. Zone, Size just now...

-Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks for the offer, Windtrader...

I have a pdf titled 12xx_SM_SETUP_CH4, it does have an index and I see all of section 1 would be good but that's too much to scan in. More specifically, pages 103-106.

I wonder how much doubling up occurs with the user manual though.

thanks again

·
Registered
220 Posts
What a strange coincidence!

I just got a 1271 (my first CRT) today that I traded an X1 for. It has just over 400 hours on the tubes.

Have you seen this site yet?
http://www.mooneyass.com/Sony1270Q/

·
Registered
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scroll
thanks brian for the suggestions on the remote...

I have been using the inbuilt remote. I did notice that it was hard wired (via a small pcb connector)into the machine through the battery compartment. Do you mean that this needs to be removed beefier the IR remote works?

Thanks for the service manual find, but maybe there will be a web page containing the full version somewhere...

ps... also can't seem to work out which controls allow for the adjustment of the raster...I'm getting confused between RGB size/shift, and zone settings.
Reset all Zones to factory defaults before setting up.... and if your setup is good, you shouldn't need zone adjustments!!

If you want CRT nirvana, you will need to take the time to learn the calibration sequence. Or, if you don't mind, learn by trial and error. If you are methodical in what you do, it is not hard to learn how all the controls function and interrelate.

I can tell you this, just squaring and centering the projector may be more challenging than you realize, but it is essential. Then you want to reset ALL alignment and convergence settings including zones.

Then perform a rough focus on each tube. After that you want to center the raster on each crt (turn contrast to 0 when looking in tubes). Next set the lense and crt shims for your appoximate screen size (7 to 8 feet max).

Idealy, you can mechanically align your CRTs to converge horizontally by either moving the PJ front to back or modifying the crt shims to fit your needs. What I'm getting at is you want to minimize the use of electronic settings to converge your image. This will make more sense later. The goal here is to get the image centered behind the lense for each crt.

The 127x is a great projector to learn CRT setup. I tweaked mine to perfection it throws a great image.

Just wait till you get into building or buying a screen.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, time for some inital impressions:

Brightness: I actually find the 1271 brighter then my digital PJ. I have contrast in the mid 50s.

Contrast: Well that is clearly better then my 400:1 Davis, however my blacks are still not purfect. I seems that the G2 setting got changed a little bit while in transit. It will need some work.

HDTV: To tell you the truth 1080i does not seem as sharp and detailed as compared to my 800x600 projector. I still need to tweek some setting, but I really thought I would of seen better.

DVD: Very Nice. I use my MyHD card for DVD playback and have tried 1080i and 800x600. there is visable noise in the picture at 1080i, however 800x600 looks very good.

480i: Better then I would have emagined.

Convergence: I still have more to learn about this one, esp since I am setting it up on a 16:9 screen and it is hard to get the test screens to find inside the screen. I can see myself playing a lot with this setting. I am somewhat worried about burning in the test patterns.

Roommates: I am not sure, but they don't seem that excited about this monster in the living room. I figure I will sell them on the fact that now they can watch 480i on it whenever they want without all the HTPC BS and bulb worries of my old projector.

Any problems?: Well I think I might have to loft the couch to make room for the projector--If I put the projector under the couch I will have a really hard time getting to the top control panel, and I am way to cheap to buy the remote....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.