AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum and I'd like to comment/ask a few questions about CRT's. Thanks.

The last TV I bought was a 32" FD Trinitron WEGA KV-32FS320 a few months back. I did not notice anything for a few weeks after buying it, but it seems the more I used it (watching cable, dvd's, gaming, etc...) the worse the geometry issues with the screen became. Finally I could see a pretty severe warping at the bottom of the screen (about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch bowing upwards) and also at all four corners of the screen. It got so annoying that I eventually sold the TV to my mum and went ahead and bought a smaller Toshiba 20AF43. The pic is ok when I watch cable or movies, but when I hook the PS2 up to it (via component), there is severe warping from the middle of the pic all the way to the top of the right hand corner, where it is a good 1/2 inch in from where the screen ends. I now only use the Toshiba for reg. cable and use my flatscreen PC monitor for gaming needs. But the PS2 looks HORRIBLE on a PC monitor (connected via component) while the xbox to GREAT! Non-HD aso looks crappy on the monitor.

Well, I sold my xbox (getting ready for 360), and am looking to upgrade to HDTV, digital cable, and surround sound. But even after alot of research, I cannot decide whether I should go for another CRT (HDTV or not) because of all the geometry issues I have had/seen. I am also weary of buying an LCD because of the pic quality when the PS2 is hooked up to it. After reading about projection screens, I decided to pass because of burn-in issues, and lamp life worries (especially concearning Samsung DLP's) Plasmas are just a bit to expensive for true HD-compatible screens, lol.

The two TV's I am leaning towards are both Sony models; KD-34XBR960 ($1688.** is the cheapest I've found it) and the KD-30XS955 ( about $900.** being the cheapest I've found) Do either of these suffer from bad geometry issues, and is there any way to fix said issues once one has bought a CRT???

Sorry for the long first post, but any help or advice is appreciated :) Thanks.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Answer to thread title: Yes, to a degree. That's just the nature of the beast. If you get it properly calibrated, you can have these bends reduced to an almost imperceptible level, or close to it.

I'd definitely tell you to consider an ISF calibration on whatever display you end up buying.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I suspect the last batch of open box specials would have included some of the worst of the bent geometry sets the stores couldn't unload before.

Although it's good you can have a set calibrated, I find the idea it's necessary to be disturbing. Maybe a law that the manufacturer would have to pay for calibration within the warranty period would encourage the manufacturers to design and build properly calibrated sets. Or at least sets that didn't have obvious visual defects.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33
I suspect the last batch of open box specials would have included some of the worst of the bent geometry sets the stores couldn't unload before.

Although it's good you can have a set calibrated, I find the idea it's necessary to be disturbing. Maybe a law that the manufacturer would have to pay for calibration within the warranty period would encourage the manufacturers to design and build properly calibrated sets.
It is disappointing.

But I think such a law would force the manufacturers to resolve this in the factory and add a few hundred dollars to the price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.