AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a used H/K 430 receiver. I always hear good things about Harman sound, and I wanted a receiver with 2 way serial control. Doing research, I don't see a whole lot of threads about it (which I believe is a good thing) but the few I do see all have the same problem: (usually) after a few years, the receiver begins to randomly shut itself off. I also see the disaster that was the 254/354. Is there a known bug with these AVRs? Is it a quick fix at a service shop? If anyone has any info/warnings/support for this receiver, please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Well, from reading the forums it seems to me like all of the AVRs have some kind of annoying little problem so its not just the H/K AVRs.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Well, from reading the forums it seems to me like all of the AVRs have some kind of annoying little problem so its not just the H/K AVRs.

For example, my AVR makes country music sound awful. Doesn't matter what settings I use

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that most of the forum threads are people with problems looking for help, but it seems to me that the H/K threads, more than most, are consistently the same problems that just pop up over time without user error.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I opted to get a refurbished Marantz 5002 over a refurb 354 from H/K. I was origionally all about the the 354 because of the price/sound/and Bridge II ipod dock. I still wonder If I made the right choice with the Marantz Just cuz the H/K s all sounded so good during audition. I am very happy wiht the Marants though. ( I just baught a butt load of CD's for the stereo play back.)

I have heard that marants units have bugs too, especially my model
, but I have had mine for 6 months w/out any issues. I guess its a shot in the dark any way you go. Thats kinda the deal with used/refurb stuff.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I've always had the impression that H/K products seemed less reliable and buggy, hence why I've never owned one. Plus I think they are just plain ugly(I'll probably get flamed for that).

I couldn't be happier with my SC-27. So far I haven't really encountered any bugs at all. I often sratch my head in disbelief when I read of some of the issues people have had with the new Elite receivers. Guess I'm lucky.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would venture to guess that a majority of all problems seem to be HDMI related. The other being user error and not understanding the product and how it operates.

It does seem though that HK has more HDMI problems once you get to the units that go beyond basic HDMI switching.

The 146, 147, and 154 seemed to have very few problems as the where just basic HDMI switching devices.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I personally like HK receivers, but do find them a little buggier than most others. I swapped a 254 out for someone and replaced it with the Denon 1910. The 1910 was a pain to setup compared to the HK's easy GUI, but it hasn't flinched since initial setup.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/18132689

For example, my AVR makes country music sound awful. Doesn't matter what settings I use

Hummm... mine won't play country at all... I just thought it was one of those undocumented features instead of a bug.

·
Registered
12,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint /forum/post/18150704

Hummm... mine won't play country at all... I just thought it was one of those undocumented features instead of a bug.

The country music feature is only available to residents of Tennessee & Texas..

Just my $0.01...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.