AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In comparing the new crop on HDTV receivers I've found that the Zenith HDTV receiver (not yet released) has a 3-line digital comb filter to enhance analog reception (cable/OTA)? In addition, the TWICE website states that the Zenith has an enhanced line doubler. Does this mean that this receiver should display a superior upconverted picture of analog channels compared to other HDTV receivers? Also, TWICE states that the Zentih has a third generation tuner. Considering the release date for this receiver is slated for June, who thinks this receiver is worth waiting for?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've always seen the 'comb filter' feature advertised on the actual TV/Monitor (still learning the technical ends of the video end of HT). Didn't know STB's have comb filters too. I know this doesn't answer your question, just wanted to state this (maybe other pseudo-newbies were under the same impression).

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
A comb filter is used to separate the B&W signal (luminance) from the Color signal (Chrominance). These signals are combined on a composite signal cable (which uses 1 coaxial cable) but they are separated on S-Video signals (which uses 2 coaxial cables). Any decent NTSC tuner that has an S-Video output will have a comb filter (there are other ways of separating the signals that don’t work as well as a comb filter). Comb filters are not needed for DBS, S-VHS, DVD, or ATSC sources because the Luminance and Chrominance signals were never combined in the first place.

Whether the Zenith box is worth waiting for is unknown - it might be but we won’t know until it gets released.

------------------

Geof

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.