AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,961 Posts
What is the sound quality (size) of the files you are playing?

128kbps MP3s? Apple Lossless (doubtful, since the Mini has limited space)?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On the full size iPods, it is said that the highest fidelity is available through the dock connector which bypasses any internal amp circuits in the device. After that, I expect the bitrate would be the next biggest difference.

YMMV

·
Registered
16,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike6by9 /forum/post/0

On the full size iPods, it is said that the highest fidelity is available through the dock connector..............

Maybe you should check out THIS recent thread. Especially the info regarding the dock connector vs. the headphone out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the other advantage with the dock connector is that it is a fixed audio out. like others have said you by-pass the internal amp (variable audio out) altogether.

·
Registered
16,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmanley /forum/post/0

the other advantage with the dock connector is that it is a fixed audio out. like others have said you by-pass the internal amp (variable audio out) altogether.

You may also want to read the recent thread that I linked to above, paying particular attention to the "dock connector vs. headphone out" info.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
using the headphone jack and same bit rate mp3, Ipod generation 5.0 sounds considerably better than generation 5.5 both using EQ treble booster. A while back I bought myself a 80gb Ipod 5.5 and was shocked how bad it sounded compared to a friend which had a Ipod 60gb 5.0, I was going to return it immediately but my sister decided to buy it from me at full price, she's not as picky where sound is concerned.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/0

Maybe you should check out THIS recent thread. Especially the info regarding the dock connector vs. the headphone out.

Makes for an interesting read. However, in my use, such as a quick connection to my AVR for background/party music, my combination of a dock and a RCA-to-phono cable to AVR works fine. I had connected with the same cable through the headphone jack but it wasn't as satisfying as when I later used the dock although I might look into the Xitel now. However, when I wish to listen critically, I pull out the original CD anyway.

YMMV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.