AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out a few receivers at Best Buy today. Mainly the Denons. I noticed the amount of heat that they produce. I could barely touch the top of the receiver. The receiver was powered on but it wasn't powering any speakers. I assume that means the heat isn't coming from the amps. What makes the modern receivers so hot?

My Yamaha RX-V1 barely gets warm. Even after watching movies at reference levels for hours.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Good question.

I believe amps all produce some heat even with no signal present. The power supply also produces some heat even when idle.

Perhaps the increase in ASICs (Application Specific IC) in modern receivers adds to the heat output though. DSP chip, HDMI chips, Video Processor chip - they likely all add to the heat produced.

I think the 7.1 receivers likely run hotter than the 5.1 receivers did too.

But the RX-V1, that had at least 7 amps, didn't it?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
It is the video processors and to a lesser degree DSPs used for audio processing. they draw a lot of power and run hot.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The RXV1 has 8 amps. 6 at the full rated power (I believe it is rated at 110 watts) and 2 for the front presence speakers that I believe are around 35 watts. It also has a ton of DSP modes so I don't think that is what causes the heat.

I imagine it has to do with the video processor and HDMI chips in the newer receivers.

I was really suprised by the amount of heat. I couldn't hold my hand on top of the Denon 3808ci for more than 2 seconds. It was that hot. It was powered on but it wasn't doing anything. I can't imagine how hot it gets when watching a movie in full 7.1 surround at reference levels.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Yamaha RX-V663 barely gets warm. Runs cool never hot.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/14285412

Yamaha RX-V663 barely gets warm. Runs cool never hot.

I visited a BB store in Sacramento and found quite the contrary, it was driving a series of speakers at a reasonable level in a sound room with a sports broadcast on the display and the RX-663 was quite warm, almost hot. It was nothing like the HK close by, but it shows that if the room isn't kept cool receivers that are normally cool can get hot. It was in a open slot arrangement with reasonable clearance on the sides and top.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Almost al current AVRs run warm.

Those modules that generate (a lot of) heat are:

- DSPs

- DACs

- Video processors

- Network chips

- Power amp driver stages for 7 speakers (quite a lot)

- Power amp output stages for 7 speakers

- Even the power supply itself dissipates some amount of heat

I read several tests where they stated the temperature of the individual units tested also.

All of the more powerful units (Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz) measured between 125° and 140° F (51° - 58° C) at room temperatures of about 68 °F (20°C). If Your environment gets hotter than that, this will go up accordingly.

PS.: My own Onkyo 905 (without my added fans) had a "hot" spot just above the Reon with temperatures of about 142°F max (chip surface), the surrounding area (power amps and other circuitry) where about 122 °F.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I powered off my Yamaha RX-V2700, and the section of the top which seemed hottest after some cool down time was over the power supply.

The front right of the amp also seems to get pretty hot. There's a large sink there. Possibly the sink for the power transistors. Why it's at the front right, I don't know.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My Pioneer VSX-94TXH gets just "warm" after a couple hours of 7.1 home theatre use, connected via HDMI to Blu-Ray and HDMI to Projector. My previous Yamaha RX-V2500 would get warmer, but not quite "hot".

Greg

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I think the poster who mentioned processors may be onto something. Think about how hot computers get.........and they have fans. How hot would they be without the fans? I know a receiver or pre/pro does a lot less processing then a computer, but they can be pretty warm. My newer Integra sure seems a lot warmer than my old Rotel used to get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts